Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • weight loss challenge.......with a prize June sign up >
  • weight loss challenge.......with a prize June sign up

• weight loss challenge.......with a prize June sign up

Old 06-30-2010, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Leota
    Well, here it is June 30 and I didn't lose a pound...dang it! I just keep tetter-toddering on a 1 pound loss/gain...can't get lower than 149 but thankfully don't go higher than 150... need to drop 5 pounds and stay then and then drop the rest of the 50 that is plagueing my body....
    Leota: I suggest you get your measuring tape out and see how many inches you have lost. Sometimes it takes your body a few weeks to get all rearranged. My other suggestion is to try a different form of exercise. If you have been walking, try speed walking part of it. If you are swimming, change the stroke you are using. If you are using a video, try a different one. It can't hurt, but it might be enough to kick the scales down a notch or two.
    Old 06-30-2010, 10:12 AM

If you have lost 8 - 10 pounds this month you are doing the best thing for your body. It came on slow, it must come of slow in order to keep it off. Think of it as extra days of practicing eating correctly. If you are losing 20 or more, you may be harming yourself. I want it gone fast too, but 5
    pounds a week is just too much unless you are being monitored. Check your diet to make sure you have enough in it.

I need to take my own advice, I know. Actually, I am. I measured yesterday - no I am not sharing. When I reach a stuck point, I can compare and see how much smaller I am. My whole focus is on eating right. Next week I will see about a little more exercise. For this week, I am just making sure I don't sit for more than an hour before standing and stretching. Then I walk the length of the house, get a drink and walk back to my sewing machine. (I can hear you saying, walking to get a drink isn't exercise! but when you consider that last week I was having my son bring me drinks so much he brought a small cooler with ice and 6 diet sodas to me ... you get the idea.)
    Old 06-30-2010, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Gwyn
    If you have lost 8 - 10 pounds this month you are doing the best thing for your body. It came on slow, it must come of slow in order to keep it off. Think of it as extra days of practicing eating correctly. If you are losing 20 or more, you may be harming yourself. I want it gone fast too, but 5
    pounds a week is just too much unless you are being monitored. Check your diet to make sure you have enough in it.

I need to take my own advice, I know. Actually, I am. I measured yesterday - no I am not sharing. When I reach a stuck point, I can compare and see how much smaller I am. My whole focus is on eating right. Next week I will see about a little more exercise. For this week, I am just making sure I don't sit for more than an hour before standing and stretching. Then I walk the length of the house, get a drink and walk back to my sewing machine. (I can hear you saying, walking to get a drink isn't exercise! but when you consider that last week I was having my son bring me drinks so much he brought a small cooler with ice and 6 diet sodas to me ... you get the idea.)
    Your son is too funny!

You are right about the changing up of the exercise routine. I increased how long I was walking in the channel and then I increased the intensity. I hope it works for me.

I know I have lost alot of weight but like you said I am being monitored every step of the way by a nutritionist and an internist. Now I feel bad. I am feeling a little paranoid (sometimes I hate schizophrenia) about having lost the amount that I have lost.

I'm sorry y'all.

Missy
    Old 06-30-2010, 01:18 PM

:D Sorry, i know i am not in this challenge, but i think it looks like the perfect thread to do a little dance and brag on the subject :D

I had to go to the ER the other day (not the good part)
    and was weighed... i found i have lost 112 pounds in the last year... so heres my little happy dance and brag :D lol
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-84699.gif  
    Old 06-30-2010, 01:25 PM
    Banned

Originally Posted by TanyaMas
    :D Sorry, i know i am not in this challenge, but i think it looks like the perfect thread to do a little dance and brag on the subject :D

and was weighed... i found i have lost 112 pounds in the last year... so heres my little happy dance and brag :D lol
    How on earth did you do that???? :shock: :shock: :shock: You have to give us your secret to success :D :D that was wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Old 06-30-2010, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by trupeach1
    Originally Posted by TanyaMas

How on earth did you do that???? :shock: :shock: :shock: You have to give us your secret to success :D :D that was wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!
    well.. i went from locking myself away from the world (for 3 yrs) to falling in love, gaining a new 4 yr old (to go with the 1s i already had), and moving to the desert lol.
    But i think alot of it was because i stopped worrying about it as much. when i was trying, i was miserable (misery loves cheesecake lol). stopped obsessing to lose weight for others, and found other things that make me happy, then did it just for me, and noone else without realizing it :D
    only big issue i have now, is i keep spending my clothes money on quilting fabric and keep having to borrow clothes from my 8 yr old lol the 13 yr olds have gotten too big (my girls are healthy, but not tiny) but at least i do remember to buy my own panties and bras (as my boobs did not seem to join the rest of my weight loss and I havent seen a c cup since jr high) lol.
    Old 06-30-2010, 01:48 PM

That is so awesome! Good for you! I need to lose 110-120. Maybe there is hope for me, too!
    Old 06-30-2010, 01:58 PM

Good for you Tanya. I am so happy for you. I think you should be an encourager on this thread. Hope the ER visit has resolved itself.

Missy: What are you sorry for? You are doing something I am very challenged to do...follow my doctor's advice. I hate the nutritionist in her skinny little scrubs, single, no kids. Sure she can eat healthy, she doesn't have a budget, a family to cook for, or anything better than toasted wheatgerm to snack on. Me? I have exactly $20 per day to feed all 8 of us - most of whom are adult or nearly adult. My boys aren't heavy, they are all tall and skinny, but you wouldn't think so looking at what they eat. They can have cookies and donuts...and they do. My favorite cooking is shortbread. Nothing but butter and flour with a little salt and sugar. Pie crust stuff. and I believe I would eat cow pies if you put them in a grahm cracker crust.

You are refraining from temptation and doing everything the doctor told you too. I'm proud to be your friend and I am not sorry you are losing weight the way your doctor wants you too.
    Old 06-30-2010, 02:14 PM

Good for you Tanya. I am so happy for you. I think you should be an encourager on this thread. Hope the ER visit has resolved itself.

Missy: What are you sorry for? You are doing something I am very challenged to do...follow my doctor's advice. I hate the nutritionist in her skinny little scrubs, single, no kids. Sure she can eat healthy, she doesn't have a budget, a family to cook for, or anything better than toasted wheatgerm to snack on. Me? I have exactly $20 per day to feed all 8 of us - most of whom are adult or nearly adult. My boys aren't heavy, they are all tall and skinny, but you wouldn't think so looking at what they eat. They can have cookies and donuts...and they do. My favorite cooking is shortbread. Nothing but butter and flour with a little salt and sugar. Pie crust stuff. and I believe I would eat cow pies if you put them in a grahm cracker crust.

You are refraining from temptation and doing everything the doctor told you too. I'm proud to be your friend and I am not sorry you are losing weight the way your doctor wants you too.
    i couldnt stand the nutritionist for the same reason lol... not every1 can afford to have another person determine the specific food you have to buy. and like you, baking for family with a budget isnt too bad, with so many recipes to choose from :D snickerdoodle cookies and shortbread are a big hit with my kids and dh without needing any extra ingredients :D and with a family, who really has time, energy, or money to be toasting and drying wheat germ and the other odd things they put into a menu they insist you follow lol... i would end up back to being miserable :D when would i be able to make quilts? lol
    fill up on as many low cal and fresh as you can stand and afford, and cut back (not completely out) on the trap foods :D
    and water, water, water!!!! :D if belly is full on 200 calories of good, it wont want the 800 calories of bad to go with it :D
    but most of all, be happy with and for yourself... not every1 is meant to be a size 4, and just imagine how boring the world would be if EVERYONE was the same :D
    technically, i could still stand to lose about 50 more pounds... but im in no hurry :D going from over 300 (was 134 before i got sick) to just under 200 makes me giddy as i thought i would never lose 5 let alone 112. and reality is, i did it a bit too fast (unintentionally), so i have skin issues to work on :( that will probably make the other 50 disappear with it.
    Old 06-30-2010, 03:17 PM
    Banned

I believe I would eat cow pies if you put them in a grahm cracker crust.
    Cow pie :shock: :shock: I think I would need whipped cream with mine!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: