• General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Weight loss challenge with a prize......Sept sign up >
  • Weight loss challenge with a prize......Sept sign up

• Weight loss challenge with a prize......Sept sign up

Old 09-03-2010, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by dgrindey
    Originally Posted by MissyGirl
    Originally Posted by cjomomma
    Help me!!!!! I am trying so hard not to snack but my tummy is growling. I ate a sandwich for lunch and it was good but ever sence my tummy says it is still hungry. How do I make it stop!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Eat something with lots of fiber...like apples or other high fiber fruit...drink some water...how about some other things that are low in calories.?

I posted a long list of things (and how much of each) that are 100 calories this morning.

Missy
    You're right, MIssy, apples are great fiber. My son has lost 98 lbs. and every day ate an apple.
    98 pounds?!?! Woohoo for him!! I eat anywhere from 1-3 a day. They are only 30 calories and have tons of fiber. I also eat at least 2 peaches a day or other servings of fruit. I tend to eat about 5 servings of fruit and 5-6 servings of veggies a day along with my protein (60-70 grams). I do eat about 60-70 grams of carbs but those are mostly plant-based. My breakfast is always oatmeal which has tons of fiber and all those yummy whole grains.

Today I splurged and bought a couple of watermelons. Yumm-o!

I LOVE macaroni and cheese and have found that the Hungry Girl's mac n cheese is AWESOME and has very few calories and tons of fiber and all the good stuff that our bodies need. If anyone wants that recipe let me know!

Tomorrow I am going to be making fajitas for dinner for Mike and his mom and I am looking forward to it because I have all the fresh veggies for it and I even bought the 100-calorie pack of guacamole so I can stay on track with my calories.

Next Wednesday I am making lunch for the mental health team that takes care of me. For those that do not know, I have schizophrenia. I am so thankful for how much they do for me that I wanted to make lunch for them when they have their weekly meeting. I am going to make whole wheat penne pasta with homemade sauce topped with 2% mozzarella cheese and breadsticks. With the exception of the breadsticks it will be a low-cal, high fiber lunch and they won't even know it! LOL!! I was thinking of writing out the nutritional information on a card when I deliver the food just so they know what they are eating. What do you guys think? Should I just let them scarf it down and never tell or do I spill my guts?

Oh sorry for writing a novel.

Missy
    Old 09-03-2010, 03:49 PM

I used to be very ashamed of the way I looked. I wouldn't participate in group activities at work, I'd cover my body as much as possible (even in 100-degree weather), I wasn't friendly with people, I just felt that I wasn't worth much because of my weight. But I slowly started to realize that my weight was simply a number on the scale. I'm over 300 lbs and you know what? No one was shocked when I wore a tank top and showed my arm fat. When I started participating in group activities, I found that people were welcoming. I started to allow the inner me out. I think doing so allowed me to be open enough to the universe to bring my husband and other blessings into my life.

The skinny you isn't the REAL you, it's just a skinnier version of who you are right now. *hugs* I just wanted to share that with you.
    I agree with you 100%.

I was always skinny, 95 lbs even after 3rd child was born, I was 30 then. About 5 yrs later it just started creeping on!!! I am down from my heaviest of 214, about 3 yrs ago but have been yo-yoing since then. My goal is to go down to a weight that does not hold me back and causes my hips and back to hurt when I walk. I know I will never be 95 lbs again. At 5'2" that is to thin, but I will be at a healthy weight and hopefully be able to control my type 2 diabetes with health eating and exercise.
    The support here seems so great. Thank you.
    Old 09-03-2010, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by lauriejo
    Maybe if you eat celery after the brownie it will cancel out the calories????
    For every stalk of calorie you burn about 3 calories, so about a 100 stalks will do it.
    Old 09-03-2010, 04:02 PM

CJSMOMMA, When I get the munchies and I know I'm not really hungry, I chew a stick of gum! Keeps the chops going, which is what my brain wants. Hard to eat with gum in your mouth, or at least it's hard to keep the gum from getting yucky!!
    Old 09-03-2010, 04:06 PM

Missy,

I would love to have the Hungry Girl mac and cheese recipe.
    Old 09-03-2010, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by ljs317
    How do you ladies do itl I pack a hugh amount of stuff into one day and I am completely exhausted by the end of the day. My 86 year old mom who still lives in her own home and just needs a little care whom i visit every day, my mil who is in a nursing home and whom i also visit one a day, my husband who thinks i should cook like his mom did, my vegeriterian (sp) oldest daughter and my youngest daughter who only eats chicken, my full time job of 40 hours a week and my part time job of 16 hours a week house cleaning, shopping laundry etc there just isn't enough time in the day, for me to do anything. i only get to sew maybe one or twice a week and by then i'm either to tired to enjoy it very much or i just make mistakes. My diet and exercies plans always fall apart from exhaustion. Help Lisa
    Lisa, You need to get some help from your family. You don't say how old your girls are, but I'm sure they can help with meals, especially since they will only eat certain things. They can also do the laundry. My son and daughter started laundry when they were 9 and 10. No it wasn't exactly how I would do it, but that's okay. They learned to separate colors from whites, and how to measure the detergent (good math lesson).
    Bless you for visiting your Mom and MIL. You won't regret those visits ever. Keep the memories close to your heart. My Mom passed 2 yrs. ago, and I still find myself thinking I need to call her for one reason or another.
    Ok and as for hubby..............Let him make 3 meals a week and you take the other 4. He can also cook like his mother. It's NOT a gender thing. May not be perfect in the beginning, but he'll get better the more he does it.
    I'm sure you are getting lots of exercise and you don't realize it because you are so tired. Working 2 jobs, cooking, laundry, shopping and visiting your moms. Wear a pedometer, and you'll see how much walking exercise you get every day.

OK I'll get off my soap box now.

Have a great labor day weekend. RELAX and do some quality quilting.
    God Bless You.
    Old 09-03-2010, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by laureneberhard
    Missy,

I would love to have the Hungry Girl mac and cheese recipe.
    Here you go:

1 24 oz frozen Green Giant cauliflower with cheese sauce (the one you steam in the bag)
    3 wedges of laughing cow light cheese
    2 cups uncooked whole wheat pasta

Steam the cauliflower according to directions. (I do it a bit longer because i like my cauliflower soft.)

Cook pasta according to directions. (I add a bit of chicken soup base or bouillion to flavor the water. I lessens the nutty flavor of the pasta...it adds a tiny bit of sodium though if you watch that.)

Combine pasta, cauliflower and cheese wedges. Stir until cheese wedges are melted.

Note: I have tried this with all four varieties of laughing cow light cheese and they all produce a super creamy yummy mac n cheese. I like this with rotini or shells or elbows. Use the pasta of your choice. I also make sure I get the brand of whole wheat pasta with the most protein and fiber. I love the Barilla pasta that also has the Omega-3 in the pasta. This is also great with the broccoli with cheese sauce if you do not like cauliflower. I have found though that if I cook the cauliflower until it is real soft then I do not even taste it in the final product.

Get creative! Have fun with it. After all, it is mac n cheese! :):):)

Missy
    Old 09-03-2010, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by AbbyQuilts
    I use hand sanitizer until I can wake up I have a bottle on the sink. I know its weird. I dont go anywhere and it only takes me 1/2 hour to wake up.

I was a swimmer growing up I think I jump into the pool at 5:30 am 1 too many times and it traumatized me lol

I am having some chocomilk...... not the best choice but the best out of the options and I was hungry and could have eaten a meal. This will fill me up till I fall asleep

ohh yea and I have a fast heart rate too, mine stays at 120-140
    I had the same problem, mine would slow to 195 when I slept. They said I was in line for a stroke or heart attack. At the time I weighted about 135 and wore a 10. They put me on medication to slow the heart. The big side effect is it slows your metabolism, thus increases your weight. The doctor allowed me to cut my medication so it is helping me lose weight.
    Old 09-03-2010, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by bronald
    Good Morning you people are so funny. I'm enjoying just reading and having a good laugh. I have found a web site that is helping me. I have lost about 26 pounds useing this site. We all want to be healthy not just thin,and we know we need to cut down on sodium,fat and colesterol. This site helps to trak all of these and calories. I have found it to be very helpful. http://www.livestrong.com Go check it out I love it.
    This is the site I use, I like it a lot.
    Old 09-03-2010, 04:57 PM

Have you lost wieght using it?