Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Weight loss challenge with a prize......Sept sign up >
  • Weight loss challenge with a prize......Sept sign up

• Weight loss challenge with a prize......Sept sign up

Old 09-03-2010, 09:15 PM

Missy you should make that card to show them how well you are doing and I think it's so nice that you think of them. I'm sure they will appreciate it. It sounds like a great lunch. You are doing so well keep it up and enjoy you time with Mike and his Mom.
    Gail
    Old 09-03-2010, 09:23 PM

Trupeach your idea for lunch sounds really good I'll try it.
    Carolj your suggestion sounds good to maybe I'll see which one my DH would like to try and do that one first. He's trying to lose some weight to but does't like "diet" food. He would just eat less of the"real' food as he calls it. He can be so funny and difficult at the same time. Ya gotta love him. He keeps my life interesting to say the least.
    Gail
    Old 09-04-2010, 05:58 AM

The Portion Distortion Guide
    A List of Serving Sizes
    -- By Nicole Nichols, Fitness Instructor & Health Educator

Selecting the right foods also means choosing portions that are proper serving sizes. The terms "portion" and "serving" are often used interchangeably, but they don't mean the same thing. A "portion" is the amount of food you choose to eat for meals or snacks (like a plateful of pasta or a handful of raisins). In comparison a "serving" is the amount of food that experts recommend you eat (like 1 cup of milk or 1 ounce of bread). Servings are listed on a food's nutrition facts label too. When choosing your portion, try to make it as close as possible to these recommended serving sizes.

Grains: Aim for 6-11 servings each day. Choose whole grains whenever possible.

Bread One serving = 1 ounce (1 small slice, 1/2 bagel, 1/2 bun) That's about the size of an index card

Cooked Grains One serving = 1/2 cup cooked oats, rice, pasta That is about the size of a billiard ball

Dry cereal One serving = 1/2 cup flakes, puffed rice, shredded wheat That is about the size of a billiard ball

Fruits and Vegetables: Aim 5-9 total servings each day. Choose fresh fruits and veggies whenever possible.

Raw fruit One serving = 1/2 cup raw, canned, frozen fruit That is about the size of a billiard ball

Dried fruit One serving = 1/4 cup raisins, prunes, apricots That is about the size of an egg

Juice One serving = 6 oz 100% fruit or vegetable juice That is about the size of a hockey puck

Raw vegetables One serving = 1 cup leafy greens, baby carrots That is about the size of a baseball

Cooked vegetables One serving = 1/2 cup cooked broccoli, potatoes That is about the size of a billiard ball

Meat and Beans: Aim for 2-3 servings each day. Choose lean meats and plant proteins whenever possible.

Meat & Tofu One serving = 2-3 oz cooked beef, poultry, fish, tofu That is about the size of a deck of cards

Beans One serving = 1/2 cup cooked beans, split peas, legumes That is about the size of a billiard ball

Nuts & Seeds One serving = 2 Tbsp nuts, seeds, or nut butters That is about the size of a ping pong ball

Dairy: Aim for 2-3 servings of calcium-rich foods each day. Choose low- or non-fat products whenever possible.

Cheese One serving = 1 ounce or 1 thin slice of cheese That is about the size of a pair of dice

Milk One serving = 1 cup milk, yogurt, soy milk That is about the size of a baseball

Fats & Oils: Eat fats and oils sparingly and in small portions. Choose heart-healthy fats whenever possible.

Fat & Oil One serving = 1 tsp butter, margarine, oil That is about the size of one die

I hope this list helps out a little when we are cooking or eating.

Missy
    Old 09-04-2010, 06:41 AM

bronald, I havn't tried putting in my own recipes. I'll try it. Do I go to recipes?
    Old 09-04-2010, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by quilthappygail
    Missy you should make that card to show them how well you are doing and I think it's so nice that you think of them. I'm sure they will appreciate it. It sounds like a great lunch. You are doing so well keep it up and enjoy you time with Mike and his Mom.
    Gail
    Thank you so much Gail.

The mental health team that takes care of me is called the IMPACT team and they come to my house twice a day to bring me my meds and to see how I am doing. I used to have a hard time remembering to take my meds and now I never miss a dose. I have not had to be in the hospital in almost two years because of all the help they give me. Another great thing is this program is that it is funded 100% by donors and the state so I do not ever have to worry about a big bill for their services.

They call my mom every few months to see if she thinks that anything more needs to be done to help me.

Before I lost the 40 pounds I wasn't able to drive and they took me everywhere I needed to go. It was really good.

They also have a ER line that I can call 24 hours a day and can talk to someone from the team for as long as I need to if I am worried or upset or something.

They cheer me on when I need it too. Everyone in the whole team knows what is going on with me so no matter who it is that is bringing me my meds or who is answering the ER line, they can help me.

I never have heard of this type of program before and I wish everyone with a serious mental illness had a team like this to help them get better and stay well.

So does it make sense why I want to cook this meal for them? They are just the best!

Missy
    Old 09-04-2010, 07:08 AM
    Banned

before I start a thread and ask on the open forum I thought I would ask here first. I feel I know all of you better. Does anyone have a Hancock fabric close by that they shop at and wouldn't mind doing me a favor? thanks
    Old 09-04-2010, 07:09 AM

Missy, your team will appreciate the meal and it is wonderful that you will be doing this for them. Your seem to be able to enjoy a normal life style with their help. I am a nurse and worked psych for several years and the way you are handling your illness is fantastic. Keep it up.
    Old 09-04-2010, 07:11 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by CAROLJ
    I wet my t-shirt before leaving.

Carol...............this is not spring break in Florida and you are not 19 anymore!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Old 09-04-2010, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by trupeach1
    before I start a thread and ask on the open forum I thought I would ask here first. I feel I know all of you better. Does anyone have a Hancock fabric close by that they shop at and wouldn't mind doing me a favor? thanks
    I have one right up the street. I can do you a favor!

Missy
    Old 09-04-2010, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by grandme26
    Missy, your team will appreciate the meal and it is wonderful that you will be doing this for them. Your seem to be able to enjoy a normal life style with their help. I am a nurse and worked psych for several years and the way you are handling your illness is fantastic. Keep it up.
    Thank you so much Judy!! I feel so blessed to have the IMPACT in my life. Before, I would not tell anyone I was having symptoms until it was really bad. Now, at the first sign I am feeling triggered or having some paranoia or other symptoms, I call the ER line and they help me through it. Also, because I am in the IMPACT program they make sure I see the psychiatrist every fourth Tuesday. So, everyone is on top of what is going on with me and it helps sooo much.

I made myself a "toolbox" and in that toolbox I keep all my tools that help me with my symptoms when I am having them. It is all just written on paper but the team reminds me to look at that paper when I am feeling bad. It really helps alot.

My mom is feeling so good about how things are going for me that she feels that my stepdad and her can go on vacations alone. I am so happy for that because she needs that time with him and I do just fine by myself now.

Missy