Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Weight loss challenge with a prize......Sept sign up >
  • Weight loss challenge with a prize......Sept sign up

• Weight loss challenge with a prize......Sept sign up

Old 09-06-2010, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by grannie-k

popping off and on at work. Had to do a double take at your post becasue the first time I read it I read "pop the stray cats into the microwave" Reread a little more slowly. :D :-) :-D
    hehe I read that too. I thought wow Tru has a new diet plan lol
    Old 09-06-2010, 09:42 AM

Sorry for the rant but I either rant now or blow up. I have lost no weight and am sitting here contemplating a turtle sundae.

Whew! I am almost through the weekend from hell. My sisters, spouses and I moved my elderly parents up here from FL. Of course, my mother does not want to move and her life has been in upheaval since my father got really ill in June. My dad was not excited but understood it was this or a nursing home in FL. This is the best solution PERIOD but my mom is just not happy and she is taking it out on my one sister. I try to buffer her as much as possible.

We put them on a plane and the things we thought were worth keeping in their junker car and my saintly BIL drove it up here with the agreement that we junk the car up here. Of course, it broke down THREE times on the way up from FL. So it took four days for him to make the trip. This upset my mother to no end and she is just a raving B. Her insulin is messed up, her sleep is messed up, she is legally blind, the move took four days instead of two to get her stuff here and she hates change.

Then it is more expensive up in Chicago than FL. I really really really cant help it that can goods are a nickel more here or that chuck roast is 75 cents a pound higher. My middle sister just took 12 weeks unpaid leave to nurse my father, my youngest sister and I were flying down there every couple weeks at a cost of 500 a trip plus the loss in pay so a few pennies a can for peas is pretty irrelevant when compared to nursing home costs.

We set them up here in a nice apartment decked out with everything either new or like new. I have spent the entire week in either Target, Walmart or Bed Bath and Beyond. I am exhausted.

Maybe next week, I can get back on track with eating properly. For now, since I got this out, maybe I will go with the Skinny Cow ice cream sandwich instead.....thanks.
    Old 09-06-2010, 09:52 AM

I know some of what you are going through. My grandmother became so ill she had to go into a nursing home in her hometown was the choice least intrusive for her was the first thought and her friends were there. Well her being 92 at the time not many friends around and no family but me. Making 300 mile trip every weekend then every other weekend was not working. She wanted to move closer to me(still in nursing home) It was a blessing I was able to see her everyday. A lot of adjustments. I had her with me for many years and she passed away the day before her 101st birthday. I know how hard it is and will be dealing with them until they are adjust but it will happen. I was the only one left to take care of my grandmother and it is hard to do alone. Not that I regret one day that I had with her. I wish I had more. A great big hug to you and your family.
    Old 09-06-2010, 09:55 AM

All the food that will be calling to me. " Look at me, i'm tasty, come on just one bite." From lips to hip. Partys are realy hard for me.

Originally Posted by MissyGirl
    Originally Posted by Yvonne7
    My sons birthday is today. ITS going to be a rough day!
    Why Yvonne will it be a rough day?

Missy
    Old 09-06-2010, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by seamstome
    Sorry for the rant but I either rant now or blow up. I have lost no weight and am sitting here contemplating a turtle sundae.

Whew! I am almost through the weekend from hell. My sisters, spouses and I moved my elderly parents up here from FL. Of course, my mother does not want to move and her life has been in upheaval since my father got really ill in June. My dad was not excited but understood it was this or a nursing home in FL. This is the best solution PERIOD but my mom is just not happy and she is taking it out on my one sister. I try to buffer her as much as possible.

We put them on a plane and the things we thought were worth keeping in their junker car and my saintly BIL drove it up here with the agreement that we junk the car up here. Of course, it broke down THREE times on the way up from FL. So it took four days for him to make the trip. This upset my mother to no end and she is just a raving B. Her insulin is messed up, her sleep is messed up, she is legally blind, the move took four days instead of two to get her stuff here and she hates change.

Then it is more expensive up in Chicago than FL. I really really really cant help it that can goods are a nickel more here or that chuck roast is 75 cents a pound higher. My sister just took 12 weeks unpaid leave to nurse my father, my sister and I were flying down there every couple weeks at a cost of 500 a trip plus the loss in pay so a few pennies a can for peas is pretty irrelevant when compared to nursing home costs.

We set them up here in a nice apartment decked out with everything either new or like new. I have spent the entire week in either Target, Walmart or Bed Bath and Beyond. I am exhausted.

Maybe next week, I can get back on track with eating properly. For now, since I got this out, maybe I will go with the Skinny Cow ice cream sandwich instead.....thanks.
    Vent away!! You did so good helping your parents and I am so sorry your mom is having such a hard time with this big change. I hope she settles in and just realizes that some things are just more expensive than where they were before. Some people just really do not handle change well.

I hope your sister gets a chance to maybe take a vacation or time off where she is not subjected to your mom's attitude. I do feel bad for her.

Take care hun and know that I think about you often and also the group here is a great place to come when you need a soft place to land.

Missy
    Old 09-06-2010, 09:57 AM

All the food that will be calling to me. " Look at me, i'm tasty, come on just one bite." From lips to hip. Partys are realy hard for me.

Originally Posted by MissyGirl
    My sons birthday is today. ITS going to be a rough day!
    Why Yvonne will it be a rough day?

Missy
    Oh how I understand that! Maybe you could take a few things from that list I posted the other day with all the things that are a 100 calories.

And one bite of this and one bite of that will not destroy your diet. His birthday only comes once a year, so enjoy yourself.

Missy
    Old 09-06-2010, 10:41 AM

Then it is more expensive up in Chicago than FL. I really really really cant help it that can goods are a nickel more here or that chuck roast is 75 cents a pound higher. My middle sister just took 12 weeks unpaid leave to nurse my father, my youngest sister and I were flying down there every couple weeks at a cost of 500 a trip plus the loss in pay so a few pennies a can for peas is pretty irrelevant when compared to nursing home costs.

((((( HUGS )))))
    Old 09-06-2010, 10:54 AM
    Banned

I am really sorry that you are going thru a rough time right now. It is hard seeing your parents health decline. I spent 4 months last fall trying to help my parents. We ended up having to put my dad in a nursing home because his health just continued getting so bad. Then I was driving 200+ miles a day 3 to 4 times a week to go spend the day with him in the nursing home. He didn't like being in a home at all but when he was in his clear mind he knew it was the best thing for him, all he wanted to do was to go home. He ended up passing away on Christmas Eve. I haven't seen my mother since the day of his funeral, but she keeps saying that I did this or said this and I am trying to steal her money and all sorts of weird things. The whole time dad was in the nursing home she complained that I wasn't going often enough, or early enough or long enough even tho I was putting in 12 hour days when I went to go see him with the driving time and the 6 to 7 hours that I spent there. She on the other hand only went maybe twice a month if that and she lived alot closer. So good luck to you and your sisters with this challenge and hopefully things will settle down for all of you. You are all in my thoughts and prayers.
    Old 09-06-2010, 11:37 AM

it will all work out. my grandma is in a nursing home. my mom had to put her in there because she was just requiring too much care for my mom to give. needing 24/7 care is really hard, especially with the incontinence. my mom goes over there at least once a day. thank goodness that she only lives 10 min from the nursing home. Seamstome, don't eat the turtle!!! let the poor thing run free! and I don't know how a skinny cow tastes, but bring on the beef. hehe. j/k I know that both are not really animals. but it is funny to think.
    Old 09-06-2010, 11:53 AM
    Banned

You guys crack me up.............I go rounding up all the strays to pop in the microwave. ROFLAO!!!!!!! Cincinnati is famous for their chili it has even been on the food network and travel channel (the smells make me gag) anyway they put cinnamon and cocoa in it. There are 2 really big name places out here Skyline Chili (for the Cincinnati skyline) and Goldstar Chili. The people scoff it down like there is no tomorrow. When people have asked me why cinncmon and cocoa (they were J's BFF's from NY) I told them that people didn't know what to do with the road kill around here so they ground it up and decided to make chili. The taste was so bad that they added the cinnamon and cococa to kill the taste. I truly do not know how anyone could eat that slop.