Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Weight loss challenge with a prize......Sept sign up >
  • Weight loss challenge with a prize......Sept sign up

• Weight loss challenge with a prize......Sept sign up

Old 09-11-2010, 07:04 PM

Ok everyone, I'm having a VERY tough time sticking to a diet right now. I was seriously considering doing the ration diet but until I get some $$$ to buy the book, I'm on my own. I know that losing weight, especially a lot of weight, requires baby steps. For my sake, let's list some baby steps. What very small things can I do to help me become healthier and hopefully lose some weight? Please help!!! Thanks.
    Old 09-11-2010, 07:13 PM
    Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

This what I started doing at first. Eating less at dinner, leave some food on the plate. I lost 20lbs. just doing that. I'm a big woman but not a big eater, I think the snacks were doing me in so I have cut most snacks out.
    Old 09-11-2010, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by trupeach1
    Jackpot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    A tasty treat that is 10 calories per cookie and except for the little drop of sugar it is ALL PROTEIN!!!!!!!!!!1

Meringues

2 egg whites at room temp
    1/4 c sugar
    1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Heat oven to 200. Yes 200 they have to bake slow to get crisp on the outside but melt in your mouth soft on the inside. Line a cookie sheet with foil. In a med bowl beat egg whites, sugar and vanilla until stiff or when dropped from a spoon it holds a peak. Drop 3/4 of a teaspoon on to the foil. You should get about 38 meringue cookies. put in oven and bake about an hour, turn off oven but let the meringue sit in the oven until the oven is cool or for about 7 hours. Store in a container ith a tight lid. If they get exposed to damp or humid air they get all sticky.
    Sounds good. I wonder if you could use other flavors like almond or lemon?
    Old 09-11-2010, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by thelondonzoo
    Ok everyone, I'm having a VERY tough time sticking to a diet right now. I was seriously considering doing the ration diet but until I get some $$$ to buy the book, I'm on my own. I know that losing weight, especially a lot of weight, requires baby steps. For my sake, let's list some baby steps. What very small things can I do to help me become healthier and hopefully lose some weight? Please help!!! Thanks.
    Drink more water, eat more veggies.
    Old 09-11-2010, 08:29 PM
    Banned

Get yourself a resistance band and start exercising. Weigh and measure everything and write it down. Plan your food for the day if you don't eat everything at one sitting save it for later when you might be hungry. Eat beans they fill you up and keep you full longer. Drinks lots of water. READ LABELS!!!!!!!!! Stop eating butter and sugar. That is how I started I didn't eat any butter, I love butter, that was like giving up chocolate for other people. I gave up sugar and started using olive oil cooking spray.

Hang in there we are here for you and we will help all we can.
    Old 09-11-2010, 08:39 PM
    Banned

Originally Posted by CAROLJ
    Originally Posted by trupeach1
    Jackpot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    A tasty treat that is 10 calories per cookie and except for the little drop of sugar it is ALL PROTEIN!!!!!!!!!!1

Meringues

2 egg whites at room temp
    1/4 c sugar
    1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Heat oven to 200. Yes 200 they have to bake slow to get crisp on the outside but melt in your mouth soft on the inside. Line a cookie sheet with foil. In a med bowl beat egg whites, sugar and vanilla until stiff or when dropped from a spoon it holds a peak. Drop 3/4 of a teaspoon on to the foil. You should get about 38 meringue cookies. put in oven and bake about an hour, turn off oven but let the meringue sit in the oven until the oven is cool or for about 7 hours. Store in a container ith a tight lid. If they get exposed to damp or humid air they get all sticky.
    Sounds good. I wonder if you could use other flavors like almond or lemon?
    Use any flavor your heart desires!!!!!!!
    Old 09-11-2010, 11:23 PM

go to http://www.livestrong.com and track everything you eat. When you set up your free account you put in your age gender and your weight. Tell it how much you want to loose each wk. they recomend 2 lbs. a wk. It tells you how many calories to eat each day and you track it right on the web page. Hope this helps.
    Old 09-12-2010, 05:28 AM
    Banned

Sunday is my cheat day, I have pancakes and sausage for breakfast. I wait all week for Sunday. For the past 2 weeks I have been putting my oatmeal in a bowl at night so that the next morning all have have to do is nuke it and it comes out so much more creamy sitting over night. Last night it was the same as every other night. I was making a cup of tea, getting my bedtime snack ready and set up my oatmeal for this morning. I got up, popped the oatmeal in the microwave and while it was getting done I feed the puppy and the outside cat. Weighed myself, and then ate my oatneal only to realize today is Sunday I could have had my pancakes. gggggggggggrrrrrrrrrrr
    Old 09-12-2010, 06:40 AM

Thank you so much for your advice everyone! I just logged onto the livestrong website and I also got out my water bottle and filled it up. Two fill ups will be all the water I'm supposed to drink for the day. DH told me he would help me rid the house of sweets (my addiction) so we'll do that after we get back from church. Thank you for the motivation!!!
    Old 09-12-2010, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by dgrindey
    Well I sure missed a lot while on vacation last week. So, Missy, I've tried to read some of the past postings but I assume you and Mike are doing quite well. I agree that you should take it slowly and get to know him well before committing to anything. Yes, my dear, get your surgery over with first. Sounds like you are doing so great.

I, on the other hand, gained 2 lbs while on vacation. Had a good time though. We spent a week at Oceanside beach and being Italian, I am very tan. I don't like the ocean water but love laying on the beach and that's what we did. Took one day to go to San Diego which was very nice. We did do lots of walking, actually about 1 mile a day. Got to keep it up.

Donna
    Donna,

Yep. We are doing great and I am going to have my surgery and lose my weight before I jump into anything permanent (like marraige). I heart him big time though. :):):):)

Your daily walks are great and were great while you were gone. The two pounds could actually be muscle weight gain and not fat gain. You are right about keeping it up. That will help bunches.

Missy