weird fears or aversions

Old 11-30-2010, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by AlwaysQuilting
I can't stand hearing people chew on TV. Maybe it's something about the sound coming through the speaker that changes it's pitch or something, because chewing "in person" doesn't bother me...just on tv. squish, squish., It actually makes me gag.
It's not the chewing that gets me (although I don't like it) but what sets my nerves on end are the KISSING -- the LOUD kissing...smack, slurp -- the whole bit -- We KNOW that happens....but not necessary to have it on tv!
Old 11-30-2010, 05:13 PM

I also hate the enhanced sound effects all over tv. I watch a lot of documentaries and in the last few years I've noticed all the eating sounds, walking along sand noises, etc. I know for a fact that the camera recording the creature wasn't close enough to pick up those kinds of sounds, so they must be adding them in editing. Enough!! For some reason it drives me crazy.
I must have really sensitive ears. None of my 'aversions' are visual.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:16 PM

I cannot stand it when the cheese on a turkey and cheese sandwich is touching the mustard LOL
Old 11-30-2010, 05:23 PM

Bad table manners gets to me. I can't stand it when someone smacks when they chew or chews with their mouth open. My mother was strict about table manners. I guess I learned from her.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:24 PM

I notice most of the "cringes" are sounds.
I burned out on a COLOR -- can't stand PURPLE! It never was my favorite, but after using it as 40% of one king quilt, then the range of red-violet to blue-violet as an ordered king quilt right after that . . .
Old 11-30-2010, 05:40 PM

I cringe at repetitive noises, doesn't matter what it is... clicking (as in pens) , tapping ,banging, the neighbor who drives his tractor around and around really slow while bushhogging, the motor never changes gear or sound. drives me crazy. And the other I used to panic over grasshoppers...long story short, when I was little I was afraid of insects, all of them. my cousins knew it and grasshoppers were bad one year, and they threw them in my hair, which was long and I had to get them out. Several yrs ago I made myself overcome this fear, I was mowing the yard not long after that and a large one landed on my arm. I am still amazed that I didn't leave the mower seat, but I just flicked it off and kept going. yea me! This is often topic around our table during the holidays.lol
Old 11-30-2010, 05:59 PM
Cyn

Oh my I think I have all of these.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:24 PM

bridges: short or long, over water, over land, high or low metal or wood, overpasses count.
DH says he never has to worry about me running away, to many bridges around.lol
Old 11-30-2010, 06:25 PM

people who trim their nails in public. don't know why, but it just grosses me out.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:26 PM
Power Poster

Gum chewing. I detest seeing someone chewing gum. It's disgusting to me. I won't be around anyone that is chewing gum. I have gotten up and moved at church, in meetings, funerals, anywhere a person close to me is chewing gum. I don't say anything because that would be too rude, I just move away from them. Gum chewing is disrespectful to others. My kids were never allowed to chew gum in any social setting and never around me.
My other major aversion is crumbs in the butter dish or any condiment container. I will throw out the whole container if I see crumbs of other food in it. How can anyone not know how yuk it is to spread with the utensil and then use the same utensil to get more.