Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • What are the advantages of using Facebook? >
  • What are the advantages of using Facebook?

• What are the advantages of using Facebook?

Old 11-24-2015, 10:16 AM

Default What are the advantages of using Facebook?

Hi,
    When I was teaching, we were discouraged from having Facebook pages. Now, I'm retired and have moved away. A few friends are pressuring me to get/make a Facebook page. What are the pros and cons in your experience? I am not a braggy or drama loving person. (Not to say that others are but I have heard of some horror stories).
    Thanks,
    lots2do
    Old 11-24-2015, 10:33 AM
    Power Poster

I have one Facebook page for keeping in touch with what family and friends are doing, I have one Facebook page for quilting. Every quilt shop, manufacturer, distributor, designer, and magazine has a Facebook page. Any deals or flash sales are posted on Facebook first. There are many specialty groups to read, like only hexies, or Bonnie Hunter's Mystery, etc. There is a group for just about everything you could be interested in. I only use my real info on my family Facebook, the other is fake.
    Old 11-24-2015, 10:38 AM
    Power Poster

I have a Facebook page with a picture of my garden. I do not post about my life but maintain it so I can check in on my extended family. I like to keep my private life, private.
    Old 11-24-2015, 10:52 AM
    Power Poster

I don't know why anyone has real info on Facebook except for family only. I have the share set to only me and custom who can see my posts on my private page. Some friends and family can't see some family posts.
    Old 11-24-2015, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan
    I have a Facebook page with a picture of my garden. I do not post about my life but maintain it so I can check in on my extended family. I like to keep my private life, private.
    I totally agree, Tartan!!
    Old 11-24-2015, 12:38 PM

I chose Facebook so I could see all the photos and what's happening with my grandkids. Also my son has been deployed to Afghanistan twice and it helps me not worry so much if I see what's happening with him. I have 3 Facebook friends..... yes that is sad. I'm not interested in keeping up with former co-workers so I don't Facebook them. There are photos of my quilts, garden, husband, wildlife, nature and things I bake.
    Old 11-24-2015, 01:17 PM
    Power Poster

I really prefer keeping a low profile on the internet so I have never join and don't plan to.
    Old 11-24-2015, 01:32 PM

I did not want to join Facebook but my kids MADE me - they actually set me up with an account, etc. Now I absolutely LOVE it and check it every morning even before I check my email. I can keep up with my kids and my grandson. I also have a few other family members and friends and am now loving a niece that I really did not know because I have only seen her in person a few times. My kids set mine up with certain privacy features (I still do not know how to do it). I have found several old classmates that I have not seen in 50 years and it has been wonderful.
    Old 11-24-2015, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by lots2do
    Hi,
    When I was teaching, we were discouraged from having Facebook pages. Now, I'm retired and have moved away. A few friends are pressuring me to get/make a Facebook page. What are the pros and cons in your experience? I am not a braggy or drama loving person. (Not to say that others are but I have heard of some horror stories).
    Thanks,
    lots2do
    There are a lot of hobby specific groups on Facebook, like sewing, painting, quilting, machine embroidery, etc. Several have become closed groups, meaning you need to be a member to post to the group, and only members can see the posts.

Some yahoo groups have become ghost towns because the members have moved over to the Facebook groups.
    Easy to post pics of your finished projects as well.
    Old 11-24-2015, 05:24 PM

I have never had an interest in Facebook. I don't want everyone knowing my business. Even if I intent info for just one person, everyone else sees it. As for getting in contact with old school chums, if I have not talked to them in 45 years I was not close enough to wonder about them now