Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • What is the age you became an empty nester at? >
  • What is the age you became an empty nester at?

• What is the age you became an empty nester at?

Old 08-21-2011, 08:22 AM

It was on my 34th B-day.I was told I was going to be a Granny. that was the second my 15 yr old son was told he acted like a man so now he was a man I paid the rent and bills for the first month.. He worked for us painting and apprenticed with a drywaller. I'm very proud of my son He paid all their bills +the doctors and hospital -No Welfare-He made his final mortgage payments on his 21st B-day and he raised some really great kids. -I know what some are thinking--but that was the hardest thing I have ever done,, but I was raised knowing to face the consequences of my actions and it is a great thing to pass down to future generations.I was only 18 when my son was born and I had hosp.bills pd in full before he was a yr old.I raised him for his first 13yrs on my own.I would not change one second of those yrs.There were some hard times but each was only a reminder to cherish the good times.Which out weighed the hard times.
    Old 08-21-2011, 08:39 AM

50, our son went into the military.
    Old 08-21-2011, 08:54 AM

I was 35 when both boys first left home. They each yo-yoed a couple of times after that.
    Old 08-21-2011, 09:06 AM

I was 38 and I cried and felt useless for at least 6 months. Now I stay extremely busy with all the grandkids and love it. Even though the kids left early, I thought that I would have the time and money to go and travel, but alas, that didn't work out.
    Old 08-21-2011, 09:10 AM

Not there yet... I am 63 this year and youngest child still lives at home at 26... although he requires no help from me..My hold back for doing things is I am still working and away from home 11 hrs a day but I have never felt left behind because if I wanted to do something I always found a way for the most part.. I have 2 good friends that are doing things and I can't but one of these days.. yeah...
    Originally Posted by Annaquilts
    I just posted about not becoming an emptynester till after 60 and DH 67. What is the age you will or did become an emptynester at? Did this change your routine or free you up to do new things if you became an emptynester? I just wonder what the average age is and how it affected people. My friends are just becoming emptynesters and I feel a little left behind because I do not have time to do things with them, go back to school or indulge in things like travel or more quilting. Overal I do not mind as we choose for this life and I am happy to have my children but I feel like my friends are going on a different path and I am not sharing in that experience.

I've had my (3) kids, adopted (6) kids (still my kids, just a different method)and now I am the custodial parent of my second generation daughter of one of my adopted kids who had fetal alcohol syndrome. Five of the adopted kids are still here, including the baby of 7 months, so my "empty" nest will probably happen when I leave this nest and go to the big nest in the sky. It's fine with me, though. It's what I do!

I was 42, both kids gone and on their own. Now I am 57 and still miss them like they just left!!
    Old 08-21-2011, 09:11 AM

I've had my (3) kids, adopted (6) kids (still my kids, just a different method)and now I am the custodial parent of my second generation daughter of one of my adopted kids who had fetal alcohol syndrome. Five of the adopted kids are still here, including the baby of 7 months, so my "empty" nest will probably happen when I leave this nest and go to the big nest in the sky. It's fine with me, though. It's what I do!
    Old 08-21-2011, 09:17 AM
    KLO

For me, it wasn't the "empty nest" that was the difference ... which happened at about age 52. It was that I moved from my home state (44 years there) at about the same time that all three children moved to different areas and my parents died two years apart at that same general time. The oldest child went to Japan, the middle child has been all over the country earning his living as a chef, and the youngest married a guy from FL and moved there. I could have lived with the empty house but it saddened me to not be close to any of the children especially as they started having children. Still, they are all healthy and living full lives so I guess I cannot complain .... too much.
    Old 08-21-2011, 09:56 AM
    Power Poster

LOL So many people have told me. I doubt any of them would want to move back in with DH and I when we are 67 and 60. We might need them to take care of us.

Originally Posted by Learner747
    We discovered there is good news and bad news for empty nesters. The good news is they have moved on. The bad news is they come back. :lol: