Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • What is the age you became an empty nester at? >
  • What is the age you became an empty nester at?

• What is the age you became an empty nester at?

Old 08-20-2011, 11:08 AM

44, 50 & 64. Sometimes the nest fills up again.
    Old 08-20-2011, 11:14 AM
    Power Poster

35 and 37, I was an early starter, and my kids both left at 16 - one to go to technical college, and when she finished there, she decided to live in the area as she got her own flat, the other worked as a live in mother's help, then left and went to the USA. Sadly I haven't seen her since.
    Old 08-20-2011, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Up North
    I am 58 and just became a total empty nester this year. I hate it!! I miss the kids coming and going and even though they stop in often it is just to quiet. I got laid off from my job two years ago so just find myself useless and unneeded right now. Hubby is still working, laid back and a homebody. I am even having a hard time sewing lately!! Give me a kick in the rear!! Enjoy your children! They grow up way to fast.
    My youngest will leave for college when I'm 58. I quit my job last fall due to a nasty office manager and a boss wouldn't do anything about it. I spent 8 months at home before i found a part time job again. My son is in high school and has a part time job so he isn't home much. There I sat with too much time on my hands. I felt useless too. My new job helps and I was lucky to get it. Employers don't want to hire an older worker. Join a quilt guild or volunteer at church or a day care center or a nursing home. There are things to do out there and the benefits to you are not always money but self esteme, and that makes a big difference.
    Old 08-20-2011, 11:18 AM

Around the age of 48 we WERE emptynesters for a year or so, then foster daughter as a freshman in highschool. She is now in collage and son has been back home for the last 3 years or so. (He is now 30, and no $ to move back out).
    Yes we did things a bit different, cooked together, did South Beach diet together and got more active; hikeing and snowshoeing.
    Old 08-20-2011, 11:42 AM

Old 08-20-2011, 11:49 AM

54 and love it. I wish my one duaghter lived closer, but she married in NY and lives on Long Island. I had enjoyed many trips there til I went to work for the Census Bureau. Will get there again this fall sometime. Hopefully. Maybe I will keep the puppy til Oct and take off then with it.
    Old 08-20-2011, 11:52 AM
    BMP

I was 49 and I counted the days until my last son closed on his house ...I enjoy having my house stay clean for longer than 10 minutes and the utilities are cut in 1/2. I dont have to worry about a decent dinner each night. Both my sons live within 5 miles of us so we see them both often, they still feel the need to grocery shop in my basement.
    I dont miss all the noise and car shuffling....
    Old 08-20-2011, 12:07 PM

When the kids grow up enough to be on their own. We raised our kids to be self sufficient, and since they are, we knew we did a good job.
    We became empty nesters when the "baby" turned 18 and instead of going to college, went into the Navy. We knew we had done a good job with them, now it was our time together, which turned out to be way too short.
    Now I'm enjoying my quiet home, volunteering 1 to 3 times a week and seeing my long time club members twice a month. Sewing, yard work and hobbies take a great deal of time. Quiet time reading with a cat on my lap is precious.
    Old 08-20-2011, 12:11 PM
    Power Poster

Old 08-20-2011, 12:14 PM

I had seven years between my middle child and my youngest as I lost a child in between them. It was like having two families. The youngest one has gone to the city for college now. It's too quiet sometimes but I am so over the teenage years so in a way it's a relief to be done with that but I do miss her humor and her hugs. I have time to travel now and can sew and quilt at all hours of the day or night if I feel like it. I wish they were all a little closer though so we could at least have weekends together once in a while or dinner out in the middle of the week or whatever. Two of them are about 5 hours drive from me and of course one is Washington State. My house is too big now so I am considering foster parenting. There are lots of hurt and broken kids who need love and attention out there. I'm going to wait until spring to make a decision, that way I'll be sure it's what I want before I get involved. I am 52.