Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • What is the cheapest thing you do? >
  • What is the cheapest thing you do?

• What is the cheapest thing you do?

Old 01-30-2011, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by ShowMama
    I keep a container or two in the freezer for leftover veggies. Even a spoonful left over goes into the container. Things like English peas, corn, green beans, hominy, lima beans, pinto beans, stewed tomatoes, and blackeyed peas. I've even added rice and macaroni. I just keep adding until the container is full. Then, when I make soup or stew, in addition to meat, potatoes, carrots and onions, I add in my container of all the different vegetables. My husband doesn't like a "thin" soup......he wants soup he can chew. Adding all those vegetables and things gives the soup more substance, variety, and added nutrition. Plus, I didn't waste anything by throwing those leftovers away.
    i thought i was the only one that did that! the kids always gave me a hard time, but sure ate the soup!
    Old 01-30-2011, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by mmonroe
    I re-use paper. Can't stand to throw it away. You know, the "goofs" that you do with your printer. I stick the paper back in and use the other side. Also use it for scratch paper.
    Crazy, I know.
    the printer at work is pin fed & you always get 1 blank page when you advance the printer to get off the stuff you just printed.. i save all that & bring it home. tear off the pin feed strips, save them in a bag for when i have to cushion something in the mail, use the paper in the printer @ home.. i haven't bought printer paper once in the 3 yrs i've had this printer.

also, bring all the printed pages we don't need home for the grandkids to color on.. they love to unfold the paper all the way down the hallway & color for hours to fill it up... cheap & QUIET entertainment!
    Old 01-30-2011, 09:48 AM

several years ago, a friend of mine had a general motors visa card that earned points twd a new car. they used that car for absolutely everything, including their mortgage. just paid it off every month so no interest was ever paid. by the time they wanted a new car (early 90s) they got a brand new buick for just over 2000.00....thats pretty good.

i'm looking at getting an american airlines card so i can get the miles. it would be easier that ever, because you can pay it online once a week on payday rather than wait for the statement.
    Old 01-30-2011, 10:02 AM

Recently I've been trying to cut down on printing things from my computer. I actually will write things down with a pen (imagine that, just like the old days). And when I need to print something, I will change the color of the text to gray, which uses less ink than printing in black.

This is a great thread. Very informative!
    Old 01-30-2011, 10:06 AM

I am looking for a pattern on how to make scrubbies, but can`t find one. :lol: Barb
    Old 01-30-2011, 10:11 AM

Location: Once an Iowan, always an Iowan, but now suburban Chicagoland

We use Discover Card for EVERYTHING..nice little reward check when we take a vacation or want something special...and, yes, we pay the balance every month so there are no fees, penalties or interest to subtract from that check!
    Old 01-30-2011, 10:11 AM

I would also like the reciepe for laundry soap.
    Old 01-30-2011, 10:14 AM

Location: Once an Iowan, always an Iowan, but now suburban Chicagoland

Originally Posted by Barbshobbies
    I would also like the reciepe for laundry soap.
    Go through the thread..it was posted.
    Old 01-30-2011, 10:49 AM

I recycle my old Christmas cards by cutting the front into shapes like a circle, oval or Christmas tree. I then cut the verse out of the inside. I make new Christmas cards using these. I use white card stock. Some times I cut some colored paper that goes good with the picture and place it under the picture and verse. I've been doing this for years. I get some beautiful cards and just hate throwing them out.
    Old 01-30-2011, 11:17 AM

I also roll up some aluminum foil into a ball and toss it into the dryer instead of using those softenor sheets. Any static is diffused by the aluminum and doesn't make the clothes static-y. In fact I just saw this tip in a magazine not too long ago. I thought I was the only one who did it.[/quote]

I'm going to try this one. I can't use dryer sheets due to allergies; the static from the drying is making me crazy.