Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • What is the cheapest thing you do? >
  • What is the cheapest thing you do?

• What is the cheapest thing you do?

Old 01-30-2011, 08:07 PM

I stuff plastic grocery bags in empty tissue boxes and set them by my small trash cans. When I have a more boxes than trash cans I give them to the older ladies that I know. They don't get as many groceries as I do.
    Great idea! I never thought of placing them in an empty tissue box. I'm gonna try this. Thx!
    Old 01-30-2011, 08:10 PM

[quote=pumpkinpatchquilter]
    Originally Posted by MaryStoaks
    I cut and color my own hair. I can't stand anybody to do it for me, too expensive and if I make a mistake I have nobody to blame but myself. I also cut my husband's hair for 30 years and our kids hair too.
    Me too!
    Old 01-30-2011, 08:10 PM

I cut a 5" round hole in an empty milk plastic carton and store my plastic bags. They are easy to get out when needed.
    Old 01-30-2011, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by bevysue57
    This thread is fantastic. The newer generations could really learn from this. My grandparents, who went thru the depression taught me a lot and we need to pass this on so these tips are not forgotten. I do many of these things plus I also propagate my own plants, roses, bushes and trees for landscaping.
    I would be interested in propagating roses. Can you tell me how?
    Old 01-30-2011, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Radiana
    We drink instant coffee but used to have a coffee maker and have a stack of coffee filters. I got this tip somewhere and it's one of the best I've ever gotten. Coffee filters are pretty cheap. Fly Lady suggests you keep a spray bottle of window cleaner in your kitchens and bathrooms for quick clean ups. I use coffee filters for the quick clean ups. No they aren't real absorbent but they do the job.
    You can also use the coffee filters at the bottom of your potted plants to keep the dirt in the pot.
    Old 01-30-2011, 08:35 PM

I do a lot of things here. But we have old cars.
    We drive a 1967 VW during the winter. Which gets
    great mileage. We see people laughting at us (as
    we are senior citzens) that we probably bought it
    new. But we didn't. There was a new engine put in it
    for the grandaught to take to college. But she didn't
    want it. So we took the winnie the pooh stickers off it
    and refirnished everything. We also drive a 1963 Dodge
    Dart during the summer. Everyone either laughs or thinks
    it is cool. But who care. My husband can repair the cars.
    We garage sale. Because you can find muliptle uses for many
    many things. I also buy potatoes by the 10lb bag for $2.99 and cook up all of them for mashed potatoes. I then place them in the freezer in single servings, which I zap in the
    microwave. I cut my DH hair. So many things are just natural
    for us. I use to make my sons tee-shirts and embroider hang 10 or OP on them. THe kids said OP stands for overpriced anyway.
    Old 01-30-2011, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by GailG
    Originally Posted by ptquilts
    I cut brillo pads in half or quarters, and NEVER dip them in the dishwater. Store in a dry place and they last a long time.
    Try storing them in the freezer.

I've been reading through these posts and realize that there are many things that I "just do" without realizing that I'm being frugal. Many of these I learned from my mom, many I figured out for myself. One thing that really hit me is that I'm not the only one who adds water to things. I add water to "stretch" shampoo, conditioner, dish detergent, cleaners. I squeeze the dickens out of toothpaste tubes (but I don't cut it open). I use shoe boxes for storage of all kinds of things. I repurpose old vases, baskets, tupperware, the children's old lunch kits, zippered plastic bags that come with pillow cases, etc.
    If I get a client who send me a sheet for quilting, I keep the bag to put some of my quilting projects in the keep the dust off of them.
    Old 01-30-2011, 08:37 PM

cool, I'll have to pick up a tennis ball and not let the dogs get ahold of it, they seem to like eating them.
    Old 01-30-2011, 08:51 PM

What a great question/topic! I always add water to soap dispensers, wash out the plastic baggies, and learned from my daughter to be a careful recycler. I also love to go shopping at second hand stores for treasures, some great finds for work cloths over the years, anything designer in my closet has come second hand. Love books and read a lot, so again, second hand stores are great sources for used books. I figure everything in life is second hand sooner and later, the good stuff we keep and it gets worn and used with love. I've gotten some great ideas from reading all the great responses to this question, thanks so much.
    Old 01-30-2011, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by DonnaB
    I cut a 5" round hole in an empty milk plastic carton and store my plastic bags. They are easy to get out when needed.
    I use my plastic milk jugs for water. Our water heater is in the middle of the house and it takes a little while to get hot. Instead of letting the water go down the drain, I catch it in the milk jug. I use them for watering plants, dogs and sometimes just let them in the tub when taking a bath. You don't use as much water this way. Also, if you clean the jugs out well, you can use it for cooking and drinking.