• What is the cheapest thing you do? >
  • What is the cheapest thing you do?

• What is the cheapest thing you do?

Old 02-01-2011, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by bamamama
    Frugal...what does that mean? LOL
    Smart, intelligent, common sense?????
    Old 02-01-2011, 08:22 AM

I reuse the envelopes that come in the mail... u know the ones that come to return ur bill in ( pay it in person) or to send a " donation" in .... I just black out and write my address on the other side or just cover over the address.
    I make my own "TV Dinners"... ther is always a dab of this or a little of that left over...(I obught plastic divided trays with covers at the dollar store) and I pop a top.. in goes the left over veggie, or mashed protato or that one lonely pork chop .... sometimes it takes a week or so but I eventually get the tray filled with enough left overs to have an entire plate ( there is just me and DH so we only need 2 plates)
    I found a HUGE wedding aisle runner at Goodwill store and it makes the perfect interfacing/stablizer!( for $2.00
    I rarely by anything if it is not on sale, I freq the Goodwill/Thrift stores, and love to grow my own food.

I was a single mom for a number of years.... learned to be frugal during those years of having 3 teenagers in the house and only having a income of $12k.... and that was only a few years ago!! ( no fed assistnace, foodstamps, housing allotment or anything)

We still buy meat in bulk and portion it out before freezing . Left over broth goes into ice cube trays, great for adding just little flavor to one pan meals/soups/etc.

I pack up all the free lotions.shampoo,etc when I stay at a hotel. ( the small sizes are are great for little kids just learning to " bathe/shampoo themselves" they dont over soap and waste alot .. and they are tickled to get their " own" bottle!
    Old 02-01-2011, 09:18 AM

I use vinegar to clean almost everything.
    Old 02-01-2011, 09:32 AM

I cut DH hair and he has learned to cut mine, I curl mom's hair weekly (saving HER $15-$20/week) Used old rags for swiffer sheets (then when they are dirty, I wash them). Make my own broth and soups. Can veggies when I have enough to can. Trying to grow my own veggies but the wild life eats it up before it gets ripe :(
    Consolidate trips (live 10 miles from town)
    Use coupons
    When dd's were infants, used cloth diapers.
    I don't reuse food storage bags since DH transplant...too much of a health risk...
    Old 02-01-2011, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by kathidahl
    Originally Posted by bluteddi
    Originally Posted by renee765
    When the kids were little, after they were asleep in their beds, I'd mix up a half gallon of powdered milk and add it to a half gallon of regular milk. I always put it in a gallon milk jug, and they never knew.
    LOL... yep... I did this too.. and the kids ( or DH) had no clue.. I also used to buy a couple of boxes of " name brand " dry cereal... then again at night.. refill those boxes with the off brand version...... Kids are not in their 30's and was complaining about how expensive cereal and milk are.. and their kids will not eat off brand.... I told them the truth and they stood there with their mouths having open..... The proceed to tell me how they can't believe I lied to them like that... give me a break..... u ate didnt u?>?????? "Brand name " being better is usually a state of mind!
    Love, love, love it...me too! My kids who would not shop at a certain low cost store when living at home, now tell me what great prices they get there on their food.
    isn't that funny????? When My oldest moved out , on his own he called me all excited.... " did u KNOW u can grocery shop at the dollar store?!?!?!".... DUH!
    Old 02-01-2011, 09:54 AM

dd's were infants, used cloth diapers.
    I don't reuse food storage bags since DH transplant...too much of a health risk...[/quote]

Yep... we used cloth diapers too.....

I reuse my ziplock plastic bags.. but rarely for restoring foods, unless it only had dry foods in to begin with. But , I store all kinds of non food items in the recycled ones...
    Old 02-01-2011, 11:50 AM

Location: Once an Iowan, always an Iowan, but now suburban Chicagoland

Originally Posted by kathidahl
    Originally Posted by renee765
    When the kids were little, after they were asleep in their beds, I'd mix up a half gallon of powdered milk and add it to a half gallon of regular milk. I always put it in a gallon milk jug, and they never knew.
    LOL... yep... I did this too.. and the kids ( or DH) had no clue.. I also used to buy a couple of boxes of " name brand " dry cereal... then again at night.. refill those boxes with the off brand version...... Kids are not in their 30's and was complaining about how expensive cereal and milk are.. and their kids will not eat off brand.... I told them the truth and they stood there with their mouths having open..... The proceed to tell me how they can't believe I lied to them like that... give me a break..... u ate didnt u?>?????? "Brand name " being better is usually a state of mind!
    Love, love, love it...me too! My kids who would not shop at a certain low cost store when living at home, now tell me what great prices they get there on their food.
    isn't that funny????? When My oldest moved out , on his own he called me all excited.... " did u KNOW u can grocery shop at the dollar store?!?!?!".... DUH!
    Yup!! guess we raised them right after all....
    Old 02-02-2011, 05:57 AM

"I'm trying to figure out a way to reuse toilet paper"

You laugh at this but I had a patient once that would fold and refold her tp till she didn't need it anymore...
    Old 02-02-2011, 06:20 AM

I line the small trash cans with several bags at once... then when full I take the top one out..

Save a flush is something we were taught .. if solid it goes down, if liquid save a flush..
    Old 02-02-2011, 06:48 AM
    Power Poster

I cut zippers out of worn out clothes and sometimes the buttons too.