Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • What did you do for fun and games when you were a kid? >
  • What did you do for fun and games when you were a kid?

• What did you do for fun and games when you were a kid?

Old 09-08-2010, 08:21 PM

What memories. When I was small, I would sit in my favorite red leather child's recliner and read books, comics, loved to collect and play with marbles, I had Chatty Cathy and she talked wtih her plastic records and I would play dressup with her, Listened to records with stories like Peter Pan, Hansel and Gretal. My favorite thing to do was get up early and put on my silver skates and skate around the sidewalk for hours. My next favorite thing was going to the craft room with my mom and learning how to do ceramics, paint, etc. My mom was always teaching us how to do some kind of crafty things. I was always giving away my toys too. Thanks for starting this post. I can remember doing things the others have too. Sweet, dear memories.
    Old 09-08-2010, 08:30 PM

One of my childhood nightmares happened in broad daylight. A cousin came to call. He lived on another mountain and we didn't visit very often so when the visit came about, it would usually be for a week. He had access to a neighbor's tv on Saturdays. My parents were strick holiness so we didn't see movies nor watch tv. He wanted to play cowboy and indians. He would call us Gabby or Gene or Frog. And we took a break for lunch one day and I hurried out the door after eating, yelling I get to be Roy Autridge! I didn't have enough knowledge about it to know what their names were. TV brought about lots of knowledge. Good, bad and indifferent.......knowledge.

Some times we girls from church would visit each other and we'd pretend we were sister somebody or brother somebody else....names withheld, of course. But we told ALL. No Tonkas, Barbies, Fisher Price or NBC, just imagination. One of my favorites was an old tomato basket that mom had without the handle. I would take it and run around under a tree to catch leaves. Sometimes we would do that and see who could catch the most. And no one told us it wasn't fun, because we believed it was. At least, I did. teeheeheee

I'm a kid at heart, blessings y'all
    Ruth
    Old 09-08-2010, 08:43 PM
    Power Poster

Some friends and I used to get a jar with a lid and see how many bumblebees we could catch in that jar without letting any of them out. We put holes in the lid. When we were done we always let them go.

Living in Iowa we played in the corn fields. We played hide and seek in the corn field. My grandparents owned alot of farmland with timber on it. My cousin and I would walk all through the timber and played in there. Waded in the little creek played indians and rode bikes. Jim my cousin younger than me by 6 yrs and I used to play in the shelled corn in the top of the corn bin. Noone ever told us it was dangerous. Corn dust can be combustible. But we didn't know that.
    Old 09-08-2010, 09:02 PM

Only child here too, until I turned 55 and found out i had 4 half brothers out west!! Surprise, surprise!!
    I was additcted to paper dolls,,,I had boxes of them under my bed. Only children really had to learn to entertain themselves a lot more back then .
    Old 09-08-2010, 09:15 PM

We played hopscotch both at school and at home.
    We swept the dirt clean and cut the outline out deep with a stick. Everyday at recess we ran out and reswept and freshened the outline up with a stick and hopped away. At home we had a sidewalk so we played jacks. We loved to use a golf ball because it bounced so high and we could do all kinds of fancy things with the jacks. It was before tv so we put on plays and dressed up in old clothes. We had a house not too far that had a doorman and an elevator. I think it was the only one in the area so we would go ring the doorbell just to see the doorman answer and peek at the elevator.
    Old 09-08-2010, 09:35 PM

My sister and I played house and we played Queen. I was oldest so I got to be the Queen which meant I got to wear my Mom's old formal dress. It was white velvet and I can still remember how it felt. My Dad was a cabinet maker and made us a table and chairs and little kitchen cabinet. He also installed Hotpoint Stoves and at one time got a bunch of pretend food as selling props to put in the model stoves. We had so much fun with that pretend food, it was the best toy we probably ever had!

We also played Vet and our Springer Spainel, Pansy, was a willing patient. (the worst ailment she seemed to get repeatedly was "Tail Cold" and she always recovered)

My Mom was very tolerant. All of the other neighborhood Moms didn't allow the "kids" to play inside and mess up their houses. My Mom welcomed the kids.

And, talk about mess!!!! My sister and I loved arts and crafts projects that always seem to include paint, glue, paper and whatever else we could incorporate.
    Old 09-08-2010, 09:36 PM

I played with Barbie, Ken, Midge, Skipper and the rest of the Mattel gang. Saved my dolls and now have introduced them to my 3-year-old granddaughter who is following in her Nana's footsteps. We have so much fun together!
    Old 09-08-2010, 09:54 PM

Before we moved to the farm, we had neighborhood kids to play with. We loved to play dress-up. My mom found a picture she had taken way back when. I guess we were playing brides.

I, my sister and a friend 1960
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]113986[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-113981.jpe  
    Old 09-09-2010, 06:26 AM

I remember climbing trees alot as a kid. I was the 2nd youngest and would climb higher in the trees than my older siblings. We also used to love to go walking across the ice on puddles in the fields in the spring, trying to see how far we could get before the soft ice gave way. Lots of soakers. LOL
    Old 09-09-2010, 06:51 AM

boy that takes me back what did I do, well I played 1 man tennis against the wall. cowboys and indians, Drs and nurses, climbed rocks (my uncle had a property where they had huge rocks) my cousin used to tease me because i couldn't climb some of them as i was to small, then I grew up and out climbed him, went absailing, swimming, riding all around England youth hosteling with my mum and dad & brother, toured the south coast of france on our bikes, and that is to name a few, we were never bored always to much fun to be had, now kids sit at the computer and play games and say I am bored.
    well WE had a good life.