Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • What to do with a lot of books? >
  • What to do with a lot of books?

• What to do with a lot of books?

Old 10-31-2010, 06:57 AM

I donate mine to Goodwill/St. Vincents de Paul....then take the tax deduction. I get more for the book that way than I would selling them.
    Old 10-31-2010, 07:31 AM

When I needed to get rid of educational type books( not textbooks) I gave them to the school library. They were thrilled to have them, and I even got a receipt for taxes. They even were glad to get old National Geographics and encyclopedias. Some hospitals like them, prisons, nursing homes are other places.
    Old 10-31-2010, 07:39 AM

Don't know if you have "Half Price Books" store in your area. they buy books and then sell them.
    Old 10-31-2010, 08:13 AM

Amazon gift cards would be good, as Amazon stores sell fabric and toys!!! I only found this out last night. I never thought to look for fabric there. Good stuff too. They are vendors of a sort. I am getting a gift card from using my amazon credit card. I use it for lots of things, and then pay the balance off each month. Gas, groceries, all kinds of stuff, and get rewarded with a gift card when I want to redeem the points I get with each purchase. I have already planned where to spend the gift card!!!katie
    Old 10-31-2010, 09:58 AM

I've been hunting for one special book for 10 or more years. I only found a few of them in searching through the Internet. I love the series by Elizabeth E. Smith, called the "Miss Melville..."series.
    I have all 4 of them except for the last one, called Miss Melville Runs for Cover" and will buy it for new full price, plus postage.

The author died in about 1999, the book was advertised to have been published again about 5 or so years ago, my daughter and I both pre-ordered it and then the publishers decided to not bring it out after all. If you have it, please PM me.
    Old 10-31-2010, 10:04 AM

I volunteered in our local hospital for over 28 years, and by the time I left we had a thriving gift shop. We also had used books for sale cheap, and they sold briskly. Folks who had to come and sit for hours and days in waiting rooms could read and pass the time away reading. Some of them even gave us back the books when they left with their patients.
    Romances didn't go quite as fast as mysteries, and we had a few others that surprised us by selling easily, such as woodworking and doll crafting.

I donated lots of my late DH's more literate library to our local Senior Citizen's group that has a lovely building and a thriving library in it. They don't sell the books, lend them and lots go there just for the companionship and to read in comfort.
    Old 11-06-2010, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by SherryLea
    My husband and I are simplfiying also we took ours to Half fPice Book store You won't get what they are worth but you will get something. Books are like old cloths you never get what they are worth when you resale as people are looking for a bargain on used stuff and do not expect to pay that much for stuff.
    I had time to check a place today and she is no longer buying--just trading. Bummer! I'll keep at it.
    Old 11-06-2010, 03:54 PM

I have sold alot of books on Amazon.com. Just do a search for each title, then
    compare condition of your book, to lowest listed price for their used one.
    I usually then list mine for few cents less.... Love Amazon!
    Old 11-09-2010, 06:38 PM
    vic

There is website: Swap.com movies, books, computer games. You just swap and pay only the postage to send your books to another person and receive whatever you wanted in return on their postage.