What do you all think

Old 04-27-2010, 06:54 AM

I agree with smaller items, you can make more, sell them for less....your "buyers" will be far more than if you tried to sell one quilt for a larger amount. Keep us posted on what the financial office says!!!
Old 04-27-2010, 06:56 AM

How about totes? The teenagers are really into peace signs and skulls right now. The biggest problem is finding a place to sell your things. When my kids were young and we were poor and I used sew and do crafts and sell them through my mom's beauty shop. Several of the ladies worked in a factory in town and they would take orders there. Good luck.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
Originally Posted by mommaB
I think hubby needs to talk to the financial aid people at his school and see what else is out there. Actually, this is the 1st year my kids have qualified for pell grants, so have somebody review your fafsa and be sure you didn't oops something!! Good luck!!
He got his letter back and itcsaid that he qualifies for the pell grant but that due to budget cuts their isn't enough money left. He has class this morning so after class he is going to financial aid office to see if there is anything else he can do or get like grants. Praying and keeping my fingers crossed
Praying with and for you. Good luck on whatever you decide to make.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:07 AM

Check with counsler and financial aid, there are many scholarships out there that never get used. Nobody takes the time to serch them out. There should be a place on line
for scholarship info.
I agree small items will sell better than large expensive things. Labor should figured as be 3 times the cost of materials. Add this to cost to materials, this should give you idea of selling price. You an also decide if making an item is worth it.
Good Luck for you and your husband. Tell him to keep searching for money. You are in my prayers.
My g-daughter is having to make some major changes with college for the next year. Her mother's income rose just enough that she will not be able to any aid. Income did not rise enough to make a difference in living stardards. It is amazing how a few dollars can make such a difference.
Thanks for letting me vent our government seems to try and stop those that want to suceed.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:10 AM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Originally Posted by sewgull
Check with counsler and financial aid, there are many scholarships out there that never get used. Nobody takes the time to serch them out. There should be a place on line
for scholarship info.
I agree small items will sell better than large expensive things. Labor should figured as be 3 times the cost of materials. Add this to cost to materials, this should give you idea of selling price. You an also decide if making an item is worth it.
Good Luck for you and your husband. Tell him to keep searching for money. You are in my prayers.
My g-daughter is having to make some major changes with college for the next year. Her mother's income rose just enough that she will not be able to any aid. Income did not rise enough to make a difference in living stardards. It is amazing how a few dollars can make such a difference.
Thanks for letting me vent our government seems to try and stop those that want to suceed.
I so agree. It is as if the govenment is trying to keep ppl where they are. Well we are tired of being here and ready to move on.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:53 AM

Once you decide what you are going to 'specialize' in making, go to http://vistaprint.com and order some business cards (free just pay shipping). When you design your card, be sure to list what you will be making and selling.

You can put these up at grocery stores, in beauty shops, in any business that will allow you to place them. If you decide on baby quilts or diaper bags, see if you can put them in some OB/GYN offices. Whatever you're making, think of where there would be customers with that need and advertise in those areas as much as you can. (Making flyers would be good too as well as the business cards)

Plus hand them out to friends and family and give them extras to pass around.

Carol B
Old 04-27-2010, 08:59 AM
Pam

If there is a "baby boutique" in your town, you may be able to sell original baby quilts in there! You would likely get a better price.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:49 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ctack2
Once you decide what you are going to 'specialize' in making, go to http://vistaprint.com and order some business cards (free just pay shipping). When you design your card, be sure to list what you will be making and selling.

You can put these up at grocery stores, in beauty shops, in any business that will allow you to place them. If you decide on baby quilts or diaper bags, see if you can put them in some OB/GYN offices. Whatever you're making, think of where there would be customers with that need and advertise in those areas as much as you can. (Making flyers would be good too as well as the business cards)

Plus hand them out to friends and family and give them extras to pass around.

Carol B
Thank you carol for the info. I really do appreciate it.
Carrie
Old 04-27-2010, 10:58 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Pam
If there is a "baby boutique" in your town, you may be able to sell original baby quilts in there! You would likely get a better price.
Unfortunatly I don't know of any in this little town. For a town with such a big university I would think there would be more here but it is a small town. We do have a peddlers mall where booths can be rented for 150.00 a month but I think that would just be a waste of money to try that.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:07 AM
Power Poster

Ok here is an update.
My hubby went to the financial aid office and he was told you are not alone. It is the state of Kentucky that sent those letters out and has done this to many students. Come to find out it was the cap grant. His financial advisor said that everything was filled out correctly on the fasfa and that he qualifies for other grants too. His advisor stated that MSU has not decided who is gonna get what yet, but that he should go ahead and apply for as many grants as he can. Other wise not to sweat it out and that everything should be ok.
I want to thank everyone for your wonderful advise, I may still follow thru with trying to sell some quilts and other items. Lord we could always use the extra money to feed my fabric habit.
Carrie