Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • What do you collect, sewing, quilting related? Besides fabric >
  • What do you collect, sewing, quilting related? Besides fabric

• What do you collect, sewing, quilting related? Besides fabric

Old 10-24-2009, 02:54 AM

Sewing related, I collect quilting books and magazines. I have years of magazines because you never know when you need that one particular pattern from 1998! In my defense, I DO go through them regularly.
    Non-sewing related, I collect music boxes, moose and bear stuff and cookbooks...LOTS of cookbooks. I have some that were my grandmother's from the '30s and my mom's Betty Crocker cookbook she got when she got married in 1957 (and I've used it a lot!).
    Old 10-24-2009, 10:41 AM

This made me think of the Jim Shore garden gnome my s-daughter gave me. It didn't make it to the garden but is on the hearth in our family room and makes us smile every day.
    Old 10-24-2009, 11:01 AM

I collect cat stuff, red glass, buttons (I have some nice antique ones) I'd like to collect money but I keep spending it on fabric
    Old 10-24-2009, 11:13 AM

Nativity scenes...old cups. wine glasses...I just love there shapes...sewing related.... thimbles....
    Old 10-24-2009, 12:53 PM

Would you please adopt me and bring me to live in your house. As hard as I try to be neat and not clutter, little piles of paper and tiny pieces of fabric are always around. Even my scrap bins are running over. My sweet Mom must not have trained me well.
    Old 10-24-2009, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by cbuchanan
    Would you please adopt me and bring me to live in your house. As hard as I try to be neat and not clutter, little piles of paper and tiny pieces of fabric are always around. Even my scrap bins are running over. My sweet Mom must not have trained me well.
    Obviously you're not talking to me. As described above, you already LIVE in my house. Surely I'M not responsible for all this mess!
    Old 10-24-2009, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by pal
    I collect children's fairy tale books. And I love anything that makes
    me smile. One year for Christmas I bought my Mom a silly looking
    moose. She never really said anything about it. After a few months
    she said "Did you give me that Moose" I said "yup, Mom, I did."
    And she said "Every time I pass it on my way to the kitchen, I smile."

It doesn't get any better than that!!!!!

I have happy things all over the house - things that make me smile.
    I meant to reply to your message but didn't know how to quote so my reply got lost in the shuffle. This is what I meant to say:

This made me think of the Jim Shore garden gnome my s-daughter gave me. It didn't make it to the garden but is on the hearth in our family room and makes us smile every day.
    Old 10-24-2009, 01:24 PM

I don't really think of it as collecting- but I guess it's owning multiples. So I have:

classic cars- we have 3, my avatar is the newest 67 Firebird, oldest is my 57 Metropolitan, hubby has a 65 Corvette Stingray
    tea pot collection (I even have one that is a sewing machine)
    crystal- Many many pieces- I have service for 18 for our family that we use every holiday. I don't believe in saving it "for good"- I use all of it.
    Some pieces of Fenton and Carnival glass.
    Metropolitan items (my 1957 car)- I love my cookie car
    lots of sewing "stuff" tubs of fabric and 8 machines and notions.... I know you can relate to this part-and no- it's not hoarding, it;s kept nice and neat.
    I started collecting old cook books, my favorite, which I use is a 1942 Good Housekeeping with a war supplement on how to use rations and cook without various items.
    Hubby collects mining memoribilia- mostly the anthracite coal stuff (we are in that region) and accordians- he has 5.

my house is nicely cluttered but not messy. I have one room- the formal living room that we display a lot of the items that no one goes in. But I live in my sewing room- my favorite room in the house.
    Old 10-24-2009, 01:30 PM

First, I never met a book I didn't like. My library tells it all. Also I have collected Occupied Japan, Avon, Cloisonne and magnets for the frig plus patches for my jacket from my travels. I also have all the patches the astronauts wore on their flight uniforms into space which will be a quilt soon.

I also do miniature room boxes and dollhouses. And my sons wanted me to move form my ten room house to a condo when my DH passed away. What a joke.

I do have to think about downsizing tho. Maybe in ten years or so.
    Old 10-24-2009, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by mar32428
    First, I never met a book I didn't like. My library tells it all. Also I have collected Occupied Japan, Avon, Cloisonne and magnets for the frig plus patches for my jacket from my travels. I also have all the patches the astronauts wore on their flight uniforms into space which will be a quilt soon.

I also do miniature room boxes and dollhouses. And my sons wanted me to move form my ten room house to a condo when my DH passed away. What a joke.

I do have to think about downsizing tho. Maybe in ten years or so.
    I have two doll houses! I have a Lilly and a Laurel. My girlfriend builds custom doll houses and furniture.