Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • What do you do for a living? >
  • What do you do for a living?

• What do you do for a living?

Old 12-02-2010, 10:06 AM

I was a graphic designer/Art Director that merged into printing sales in southern California.
    Old 12-02-2010, 11:31 AM

I am an Administrative Coordinator at California State University, Fresno (fancy title but I get an office with windows and a door so I'm happy). I mostly deal with faculty contracts, scheduling classes and issues, departmental budget and student issues. I like my job just fine but I work to live NOT live to work. I live for God, my family and quilting!

Diannia
    Old 12-02-2010, 12:08 PM

I've been a sahm & housewife for most of my life. Before I married, I worked for Hertz Rent-a-car in san francisco - back in the days where we wore Hot Pants! lol... In the '90's I went to work at The Rat Factory (my husband's term for it) a company that breeds laboratory rodents, as a Human Resources Assistant. I worked it two years and they promoted me to the HR manager. After a total of five years there, my husband's job moved us to tennessee. We moved to a 45 acre farm where I kept goats, chickens, guineas, & geese and played out my country girl fantasy for six years. That's where we lived when I started quilting. We left the farm eight years ago and now live lakeside, east of nashville. My happy world is populated with two children, three gr'children, my quilting corner, my wonderful husband, and an elderly german shepherd.

It's been a pleasure to read of all your careers and vocations. There are brilliant people here in this cyberPlace....
    Old 12-02-2010, 12:26 PM

I used to work in a garment factory by choice since I like to sew. i have a teachers certificate for Bible cources and I also have an office education degree. I am now disabled and do what I can. I can't stand more than a minute or two at a time. I can walk a little but if I ever stop my back and legs lock up and I go down.
    Old 12-02-2010, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
    Originally Posted by ArtisticDesign
    Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
    I'm an RN and love nursing but having some burn-out issues.
    I need a lower stress job.
    I hear ya Sue...I worked as a nurse for around 4 years.. Truly hated the stress/back stabbing (Usually left for work sick to my stomache, came home in tears many times)..Thank goodness some people seem to thrive on it..
    Went back to hairdressing/makeup part time. Which I've done since high school... Discovered painting-murals/canvas/Faux several yrs back..Studied it non stop, enrolled in prof. classes..Got to work in a few designer homes and have a steady (part time) residential clientel..Now Quilting.
    Next I want to study writing..Cause I'm completely trapped within my imagination. Ha
    Love your humor!!! Back-stabbing for sure but what really got me was spreading myself too thin b/c of budgets. I loooove patient care and didn't feel I was able to give them what they deserved. Very hard to deal with when you see the garbage they spend money on :(
    I was a SAHM the whole time my boys were growing up and wouldn't have changed a bit of it, in spite of the chaos! lol
    I am a RN,also,and have been for 28 years.I got the h*ll out of hospitals after 5 years of nursing for all the above reasons and went into hospice and home health.It has been so rewarding,set my own sch.,no call lights going off and able to address the physical and spiritual aspects of pt. care and spend the time the patient needs in a setting they are comfortable in,there home.I do wound care,IV therapy,wound vacs,tube feedings ect. and lots of teaching which is right up my alley.I wont be retiring for another 12 years and am looking forward to it but in the mean time I love what I do.
    Old 12-02-2010, 12:55 PM
    Power Poster

My first job was with a newspaper, in the layout room. It was fun and the AP ticker tape machine fascinated me to no end. I wonder if they still have those. My jobs since my first full time job:

2. Secretary (paid just enough to get by)
    3. Priced merchandise to sale at Salvation Army Stores (interesting job uninteresting pay)
    4. Hotel maid (this was not a bad job at all- good hours so I could go to afternoon and night classes)
    5. Switchboard operator (the big board with wires you poke in the slots!)
    6. Hotel Night Auditor (got a free 3 star dinner meal every night)
    6. Industrial sewing plant inspector for hunting/hiking gear (joyless job but it paid the bills)
    7. Quality Controller at a Chicken Processing plant (before it became Tyson. Ask me anything about chicken)
    8. Then my last and career job: Maint. Tec. Multi craft Journeyman for a big electrical company. I was vested after 20 years with pension so on my 20 year and one day anniversary I said Bye Bye. The rest of my jobs have since have been volunteer work.
    Old 12-02-2010, 01:24 PM

It is interesting to see how most of the nurses got burnt out. I was an RPN at a general hospital, first on a pediatric floor which I loved, andthen on a med/surg floor for almost 25 years. I got so burnt out too. I worked my butt off and was so tired after working a 12 hour shift. I remember thinking that if one more person asked for a bedpan I would scream. I applied at a psych hospital and got in. I am so grateful. I love it.
    Old 12-02-2010, 01:37 PM

After reading everyone’s post and all your exciting careers….. really makes me feel like a nobody
    Old 12-02-2010, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Caroltee
    After reading everyone’s post and all your exciting careers….. really makes me feel like a nobody
    Oh no! You are definitely SOMEbody! You are a quilting somebody, at that!! I think being a MOM is the MOST important job there is, one that requires the ultimate in multi-tasking. Never, Never, NEVER think you're nobody!!!
    Old 12-02-2010, 02:04 PM

I have been a department manager for the pharmacy at Wal-Mart for 16 1/2 years. Tomorrow is my last day in the pharmacy... Just totally burned out with all the craziness that goes on there. Starting Saturday, I will be the department manager of fabrics and crafts. I am doing a happy dance. I am so excited, but nervous. Afraid I will want to buy too much fabric (if there is such a thing)