Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • What do you do for a living? >
  • What do you do for a living?

• What do you do for a living?

Old 12-01-2010, 12:41 PM

I am a retired junior high teacher who is thoroughly, completely, and wonderfully enjoying retirement. I am in 3 book clubs, a quilt guild, a stitching group (mostly embroiderers - I am the lone quilter), and am also the co-chair of the national CFUW conference to be held here next summer. I'm involved in activities at my church and play bridge once a week.
    Old 12-01-2010, 12:43 PM
    Power Poster

The place I bartended and waitressed at for 8 years closed this Summer, with no notice. Right now I am a part timer at JoAnns.
    Old 12-01-2010, 12:45 PM

I retired from Verizon in 1995. I was an installation/repair tech, repaired and installed phone lines and wires, climbed poles. Was manager of 3 towns (37 men) when I retired. Then I worked at a furniture store as inventory manager for 2 years, got bored and started my own business working with the elderly. My goal was to keep the elderly home as long as possible and as independent as possible. My company did shopping, cleaning, sitting, transported clients to appointments, reunions, weddings, funerals, pretty much anything to keep them independent. I loved what I was doing and felt like I was really making a difference. Unfortunately I couldn' find enough employees that were trust worthy and reliable enough to keep the business going. It really broke my heart to let go. I kept one client that I care for four days per week and also have moved my in-laws in with us now. They are 85 and 89 so I keep very busy. I quilt when I can , usually I just lock the world out quilt my heart out!
    Old 12-01-2010, 01:12 PM

Before DH retired, I was a stay at home mom for 25 years. I was also a professional volunteer! I was the one who taught Sunday School, lead Girl Scout troops and Cub Scout dens, planned the home room parties for my 3, went on all the field trips, chaperoned the parties when they were older, drove car pools for sports events. And I moved every 3 years, from coast to coast and overseas. It was fun, but I was glad to see it end. Now I still move around some, but this time in a motorhome for half of the year. And I try to keep up with DH and cat named Ellie.
    Old 12-01-2010, 01:15 PM

i have worked in retai my entire adult life,my present job I have been at for 25 years,a grocery store,by the name of Frys,which is part ofthe kroger family,i have held many jobs within the company,right now I am the head bookkeeper
    Old 12-01-2010, 01:19 PM

What an interesting group of people! Im easy. Im a chiropractor. Been practicing for 27 years now. Love what I do but cant suggest that anyone choose it as a career anymore with the cut rate reimbursement.
    Old 12-01-2010, 01:24 PM

I spent 37 yrs as an RN and retired at at 57. Now I do what ever I want when ever I want. Quilting, knitting, shopping etc. Its a wonderful life
    Old 12-01-2010, 01:28 PM

I get paid for being an executive secretary for two different departments in County government. I am considered a shared employee. I have been doing it this way for 27 years now. Love it, but when I get really busy, I always joke that answering the phone is the hardest part....which office I'm in...LOL! But don't get paid for quilting, camping, huging my grandbabies, or attending lots of meeting for organizations I belong to....those are the really fun things!
    Old 12-01-2010, 01:30 PM

I was an LPN for 30 yrs but now I work in the office of an MR/DD group home business.
    I'm hoping I can retire in 2 more llllloooooonnnnnnnggggggg years.
    Old 12-01-2010, 01:31 PM

I work at a Psyc Clinic at a major University. Reception, billing and records.