Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • What do you do for a living? >
  • What do you do for a living?

• What do you do for a living?

Old 12-01-2010, 01:57 PM
    kbs

I am retired, worked for years as a bookkeeper/office manager. My last employment was with the University Club of Flint Michigan. It is gone now but it was a wonderful place to work. When the no-child-left-behind program started I finished my education but there were no teaching positions when a group of us finished. Now I teach a class on line that I enjoy. We have a beef animal, pigs, chickens and a garden in the summer so I stay busy. I am now working on my Masters program in History and Sociology.
    Old 12-01-2010, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
    I'm an RN and love nursing but having some burn-out issues.
    I need a lower stress job.
    I hear ya Sue...I worked as a nurse for around 4 years.. Truly hated the stress/back stabbing (Usually left for work sick to my stomache, came home in tears many times)..Thank goodness some people seem to thrive on it..
    Went back to hairdressing/makeup part time. Which I've done since high school... Discovered painting-murals/canvas/Faux several yrs back..Studied it non stop, enrolled in prof. classes..Got to work in a few designer homes and have a steady (part time) residential clientel..Now Quilting.
    Next I want to study writing..Cause I'm completely trapped within my imagination. Ha
    Old 12-01-2010, 02:10 PM

I am a tired and retired High School Librarian.
    Old 12-01-2010, 02:37 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by ArtisticDesign
    Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
    I'm an RN and love nursing but having some burn-out issues.
    I need a lower stress job.
    I hear ya Sue...I worked as a nurse for around 4 years.. Truly hated the stress/back stabbing (Usually left for work sick to my stomache, came home in tears many times)..Thank goodness some people seem to thrive on it..
    Went back to hairdressing/makeup part time. Which I've done since high school... Discovered painting-murals/canvas/Faux several yrs back..Studied it non stop, enrolled in prof. classes..Got to work in a few designer homes and have a steady (part time) residential clientel..Now Quilting.
    Next I want to study writing..Cause I'm completely trapped within my imagination. Ha
    Love your humor!!! Back-stabbing for sure but what really got me was spreading myself too thin b/c of budgets. I loooove patient care and didn't feel I was able to give them what they deserved. Very hard to deal with when you see the garbage they spend money on :(
    I was a SAHM the whole time my boys were growing up and wouldn't have changed a bit of it, in spite of the chaos! lol
    Old 12-01-2010, 02:41 PM

I am a store manager at Salvation Army.
    Old 12-01-2010, 02:44 PM

I retired in 2007 from Duke University after 18 years as an administrative assistant. I enjoyed the work, but got tired of my long commute (we moved to the country during this time). I now volunteer 2 days a week at our local food pantry, walk daily, and sew/quilt in my "spare" time. I do "not" do Mondays! Don't plan anything for Mondays, just what ever comes up.
    Old 12-01-2010, 02:45 PM

I'm a widow and expert Ulcer Carrier.

I don't GET them, I GIVE them.
    Old 12-01-2010, 02:53 PM

" Back-stabbing for sure but what really got me was spreading myself too thin b/c of budgets. I loooove patient care and didn't feel I was able to give them what they deserved."

Wow, you took the words right outa my mouth. Typical day> 2 aids call in= you now have 3 jobs..And NO, we wont call agency to help and No you can't work overtime to complete it all..And yes, you will be in trouble if you dont finish...I worked with nurses who were actually throwing meds in the trash instead of passing them, just to finish on time..I just couldnt do that (shaking head)
    Add to that, them not even having a suction/yangar and or o2 tubing on hand when one of my patients was choking and blue... I almost lost her. Ended up taking o2 off of another patients face to save her.. Next day, after complaining to the DON, she just shrugged and said, " you handled it"..That's the day I walked out for good

Wheew, sorry for highjacking..I Didn't know I was still so scarred lmao...What the heck did I think I would do Creative with a needle annnyways...lol
    Old 12-01-2010, 03:26 PM

Wow, I LOVE all the posts so far. Thank you!
    Old 12-01-2010, 03:35 PM

I'm a General Motors warranty administrator & security admin for a Chevy dealership. I'm the one that everyone calls when they have a problem with their computer - even tho' I've never really been trained for that. Somehow I can usually figure out what to do or who to call :wink:
    I started out in the car business as a lot attendant - parking & washing the cars in for service & driving customers home. I got very good at saying "oh, uh huh, really?" lol After that, I worked at Sears, in the Auto Center as a tire buster - installing tires, shocks, etc & doing oil changes. Since that was only part-time, I would usually go back to the dealership to visit every couple months. One time the service manager asked when I was going to come back to work there & I said "When you'll pay me $XX/ hour to start." He said "OK" & I gave my notice to Sears! I went back as a service advisor, but I really HATED that!! I wasn't good at estimates & always had to ask someone & I would have nightmares about the cars not getting finished on time - ugh. About then the woman who was the warranty admin had to take a medical retirement, so they moved me to that job & other than changing dealerships, I've been doing it ever since.
    I also paint ceramic tiles & cups & sell them on etsy.com sometimes. Quilt, of course & a little crocheting. And I've started blogging now too. :D