Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • What do you do for a living? >
  • What do you do for a living?

• What do you do for a living?

Old 12-01-2010, 07:15 PM

Wow...what a range of jobs. I work full time for Weather Shield...we make doors that I could never afford to buy. Does having three kids count as another job???? Because after work I have to go 5 miles out of town to get my son from daycare, go to my mom's to get my middle child, then we get to go home for about an hour(enough time to get supper started)and then I have to run to school and get my oldest(she always goes to after-school activities and volunteers to run concessions for all the games)....whew. I'm exhausted sharing that. :)
    Old 12-01-2010, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
    I'm an RN and love nursing but having some burn-out issues.
    I need a lower stress job. Right now I'm not working. I have my Bachelor's but need a Master's to teach. I'd like to do that.
    Ditto ditto. I'm also an RN, and as of today I"m pretty burned out. I don't want a masters - I just wanna sew. Do you think my husband will think that's a good idea?
    Old 12-01-2010, 07:48 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by SaraSewing
    Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
    I'm an RN and love nursing but having some burn-out issues.
    I need a lower stress job. Right now I'm not working. I have my Bachelor's but need a Master's to teach. I'd like to do that.
    Ditto ditto. I'm also an RN, and as of today I"m pretty burned out. I don't want a masters - I just wanna sew. Do you think my husband will think that's a good idea?
    Uhhhh................ maybe??? lol
    I also don't want a Master's. If I go back to school I want to take more Humanities courses :)
    Old 12-01-2010, 07:49 PM

Hubby and I have a wholesale/retail fireworks business,plus we have a fishing taclke store.I want to retire so I can quilt full time.lol
    Old 12-01-2010, 07:55 PM

I've always said that my fulltime work has been packing and moving. My husband's a builder and in 29 years of marriage, we've moved around 35 times. During these 29 years, I've also been a stay-at-home mom, bookkeeper and decorator for hub's business. Currently working through a Developmental center providing services for my oldest daughter (24/7 Res. Hab.). I've also taken care of a 6-stall barn (complete with our horses), numerous dogs and cats (birds, fish, turtles, chinchillas, hamsters, rabbits).
    Old 12-01-2010, 08:02 PM

For the last 20 years I have worked in the admissions office at a university. Before that I was a SAHM.
    Old 12-01-2010, 08:14 PM

I retired after 16 years as a sales assistant for an international paper company, went back to college, floundered so decided it was time to go back to work. Been working the last 15 years as a registrar in a continuation high school. I'm also in my 4th year of teaching sewing to high school students, and the last 20 years I have also been singing in two groups, one professional and one non-professional. DH retired 3 years ago but I'm not quite ready to join him just yet.
    Old 12-01-2010, 08:21 PM

Retired! Loving it!
    Old 12-01-2010, 08:31 PM

Wow! I love the jobs...I have been a high school teacher for 28 years...when my boys were young I taught mornings only and that was the perfect combo...a few years ago I started a part time drapery and soft furnishings business from home....I truly am crazy...but I love it...so different from teaching...when I retire ( Nov 2012 is my official time) I will sew drapery if I need money and quilt etc for fun...I also hope to volunteer my time with the elderly...as I love old people..and I have to say that I have the utmost respect for all you who work as nurses and in the medical field...it is a tough job...at least here it is...the nurses need roller blades ...they work very hard...and most are very dedicated...
    Old 12-01-2010, 08:45 PM

I coordinate the community benefit program for a large nonprofit hospital. I track the free services such as health fairs, support groups, community education programs, etc. that we provide. I also track the free care we provide for uninsured patients (nearly $16 million this year), work as a lisason between the hospital and community organizations and assist with coordinating grant programs. I'm a department of one so I work pretty independently. I'm lucky to have a great boss, but I commute nearly an hour each way and some of my days are long. I'm too brain-dead to sew in the evenings and some weekends are so busy with grandkids that my sewing time is limited. So I hang out on the board here and drool over all the beautiful things you all create!