Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • What do you do when you CAN NOT fall asleep? >
  • What do you do when you CAN NOT fall asleep?

• What do you do when you CAN NOT fall asleep?

Old 10-02-2011, 08:50 AM
    Power Poster

I sleep with headphones and an iPod playing an audiobook. It's the only way I can be assured of sleep within a reasonable period of time without meds. Meds made me so groggy, they weren't worth it.

Have you tried "white noise"? Apparently the audiobooks provide that for my brain. The occasional night when I don't fall asleep within 20 minutes, the audiobook provides me with something interesting to listen to. If I wake up in the middle of the night, it is generally less than 20 minutes before the audiobook puts me back to sleep.

Edit: I have to wear headphones to do this because dh cannot sleep if there is any noise or light in the room. If I lived alone, I would place the iPod in a player and skip the headphones! My mother had the same problem and would play the radio softly all night long to ensure sleep.
    Old 10-02-2011, 09:01 AM

A couple of things...

First, I moved the clock so I can't see it from where I lie. Takes away the feeling that I HAVE to sleep because it's getting later and later.

More importantly, I meditate when I lie down in bed. There are many methods; I started years ago with praying the rosary, and now I try to count to ten without thinking of ANYTHING else. When another thought comes into my head, I start back at one. I've never made it to ten, and that's all right because it's the process, not the end that's important. I also find that the time I spend meditating is almost as restorative as sleeping, so there is no pressure to stop meditating and sleep -- also good when my insomnia has a physical and not psychological cause.

Do a google search for forms of meditation and see if one of them strikes you as interesting.
    Old 10-02-2011, 09:25 AM

I use a Melatonin plus (which includes Theanine) to help me sleep. I don't have a sleep disorder, just a very VERY busy brain that will leave me tossing and turning for hours before I fall asleep. I have also tried forms of meditation - I visualize myself walking down a flight of stairs into the darkness. But in order for that to work, I have to be able to focus - sometimes hard with busy brain. Another trick I use is making change in my head - old trick from my cashier days. Now the melatonin is my friend. Not habit forming, I don't wake up groggy, and the theanine additive just helps me shut off that obnoxiously loud busy brain of mine. All natural too. Good luck!
    Old 10-02-2011, 09:52 AM

My post wasn't clear. I go to sleep like a baby & sleep great for 4-5 hrs, then start waking.It's getting back to sleep that is the problem.I don't get up anymore, but often am awake till around 5,when I get up for the day.No naps.....no caffeine.We're retired......it just happens, while DH sleeps thru it all.
    Old 10-02-2011, 10:03 AM

Ok, here's the deal with me. I have been having sleep problems now, and I forgot when it started but it hasn't been long.
    I find that my mind won't stop and after trying several things (no meds), I would read Mary Higgings Clark and she writes a good book and I find I get sleepy. Another thing I tried is listening to an audio book and at the present it's Angels and Demons. I only put one disk in and sure enough I don't know when I fall asleep.

I think that when I am listening to a story, my mind doesen't wander to create anything because listening to a story is creative and I fall asleep and the disk will turn off when it's done...this has been very successful for me and I have been sleeping like a log....now that is not to say that i could wake up anywhere from 4 am to 12 noon...but that is ok, I get enough sleep, oh and there is no television in this room. It is actually my room. Hubby and I use every room in the house.

hubby likes to watch tv and I am trying to cure my sleepless nights and I have been successful....
    Old 10-02-2011, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by plainpat
    My post wasn't clear. I go to sleep like a baby & sleep great for 4-5 hrs, then start waking.It's getting back to sleep that is the problem.I don't get up anymore, but often am awake till around 5,when I get up for the day.No naps.....no caffeine.We're retired......it just happens, while DH sleeps thru it all.
    I have issues with both falling asleep the first time, and staying asleep once I'm there. The techniques in my post work for both. :)
    Old 10-02-2011, 11:41 AM
    Power Poster

So many good ideas here!
    Rosy reminded me that when I feel anxious I listen to something meditative on my Ipod and presto- if it's daytime I calm down, if it's bedtime I fall asleep!
    Old 10-02-2011, 01:10 PM

Thank you everyone. It used to be pain that did it, then "mental pause" and now it is trying to tie things up that probably gets me the hardiest. I was diagnosed with less than a year to live by my doc, and three others. I am going to Stanford this week to see if anything can be done to help me stretch that out a bit. I just turned fifty. So much more to do and so little time to do it. I dont even drink decaf as it still has caffeine so purely mint, lemon herb or camomile in the morning. I was so tired yesterday that I almost blacked out at the grocery store when I bent over. I guess what I do to fill the sleep void is come here. The song its such a perfect day sung by Susan Boyle comes to mind. I am glad I spent it with you... its nice to go where people are ALWAYS so kind and helpful. I am blessed to have found this site as it has given me many many creative ideas and smiles.
    Old 10-02-2011, 01:18 PM
    Banned

Originally Posted by Elisabrat
    Thank you everyone. It used to be pain that did it, then "mental pause" and now it is trying to tie things up that probably gets me the hardiest. I was diagnosed with less than a year to live by my doc, and three others. I am going to Stanford this week to see if anything can be done to help me stretch that out a bit. I just turned fifty. So much more to do and so little time to do it. I dont even drink decaf as it still has caffeine so purely mint, lemon herb or camomile in the morning. I was so tired yesterday that I almost blacked out at the grocery store when I bent over. I guess what I do to fill the sleep void is come here. The song its such a perfect day sung by Susan Boyle comes to mind. I am glad I spent it with you... its nice to go where people are ALWAYS so kind and helpful. I am blessed to have found this site as it has given me many many creative ideas and smiles.
    Oh my goodness Elisabrat - we are so sorry. All our reasons for not sleeping now pale to why you can't.

Our thoughts and prayers are definitely w/you that your medical team will be able to help you in the way you need. I'm glad this msg. board is some comfort to you. We are all here for you. :thumbup: :lol: :lol:
    Old 10-02-2011, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Great-great granny
    Originally Posted by Elisabrat
    Oh my goodness Elisabrat - we are so sorry. All our reasons for not sleeping now pale to why you can't.

Our thoughts and prayers are definitely w/you that your medical team will be able to help you in the way you need. I'm glad this msg. board is some comfort to you. We are all here for you. :thumbup: :lol: :lol:
    I couldn't have said it better. Linda, I'm very sorry for what you're going through. I hope the doctors find a way to help you -- or that your own body just tells them to kiss your patootie. :)