Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • what do you hope your kids remember the most about you? >
  • what do you hope your kids remember the most about you?

• what do you hope your kids remember the most about you?

Old 04-30-2010, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
    I hope our kids realize that we did the best we could at the time - - - -
    <g> That takes becoming a parent before we are seem willing to give our parents the benefit of a doubt. Most of who and what I am is so directly tied to my parents and what they taught me - - when I didn't want to learn, I might add ... it took four children for me to finally understand that my parents were young persons at one time, the same as me. Actually, what brought that truth home to me was a bit before my dad died.
    He was telling me about what he had learned from being the oldest boy in charge of two sets of twins - - he said he learned fairly quickly that if he didn't keep an upper hand on his brothers most of the time, he would lose control of what would happen next.
    It was at that moment that I totally got why he had parented us kids the way he had done. It changed my perspective of parenting, to say the least! It speaks to the amount of self-control HE practiced that my brothers and I survived long enough to commisserate with what we put our parents through <g> <wave> I wouldn't have put up with it for ten minutes, let along 20 plus years! <g>
    Old 04-30-2010, 11:09 PM
    Banned

I would want them to remember how much I loved them. and that they would never be alone, I will always be with them in there hearts, I am making each one of my family members a quilt for Christmas, so they have some thing to remember. me by. as I really don't know who much time I have left. God bless. Penny
    Old 05-01-2010, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
    I hope our kids realize that we did the best we could at the time - - - -
    Totally agree with that too. There have been a few times with both of our adult kids that I've had to say "we did the best that we could. Now is your chance to do it your way, do it better and prove us wrong." The fun thing is that eventually they tend to figure out that yes, we did do it right and find themselves actually using Mom quotes on their own children. It was hysterical when one day our daughter realized what she was saying and how, stopped, threw her hand over her mouth and said "oh God, I'm turning into my Mother." ROFL
    Old 05-01-2010, 12:30 PM
    Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

I hope they remember that I wanted them. There are no accidents when it comes to having children. We planned 2 and the 3rd was a surprise but we loved them equally, even if I do have to remind them that I gave them life and I can take it away. My children do not run around town getting into trouble and they respect my decision to keep them close and out of trouble.
    Old 05-03-2010, 11:24 AM

I hope they always remember that I wanted them, all 11 of them and that no matter what they did I was there for them..to see them through the good and the bad and sometimes ugly.
    Old 05-03-2010, 11:32 AM

I hope they remember that I love them to the stars and beyond.
    Old 05-04-2010, 11:58 AM

That I might not have been the world's best parent but I did the best I could. I can still remember my feeling so inadequate when the first one was born...I knew absolutely nothing about babies and had not even babysat. I couldn't even change a diaper and have it stay on. When it came time to leave the hospital, I was crying, the baby was crying and my doctor( who delivered 3 of my mothers 4...I was born at home) telling me "Don't worry, instructions come with them" I think some of the pages in my manual were missing!! My son adopted a special needs child who is almost 13 now. He is finding out what being a single parent is all about. He took me out for lunch Saturday and paid me the biggest compliment when he said "Mom, I have the utmost respect for you! How did you manage?"
    Old 05-04-2010, 01:10 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Up North
    I want my kids to remember I love them and tried my best with each of them.( some were more trying than others!) And that we always had fun! Keep the Memories!!
    :thumbup: I did my best and loved them always! Each was unique to me and irreplaceable and have given me beautiful grandchildren, woo hoo! :XD:
    Old 05-04-2010, 01:57 PM
    Banned

i hope she remembers how much I love her and much I appreciate her. I hope she remembers that I did everything for her and even though everyday isnt the best day, I tried each day. I hope she picks up on my sewing love and does it for her kids too, I hope she remembers that i taught her to be respectful of others and treat others with care and love as she wants to be treated.
    Old 05-04-2010, 04:27 PM

I hope they remember that I did my best and loved them always.