Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • What do you know about burns? >
  • What do you know about burns?

• What do you know about burns?

Old 03-01-2011, 08:37 PM

A trick my ex-father-in-law did when my 5 year old son laid his hand on a hot go-kart muffler: He slathered butter on the hand and stuck it in the sugar canister. The relief was immediate. It draws the heat out immediately, I guess. After the sugar fell off--a couple of hours later--we put petro carbo salve (an old Watkins or Raleigh) soothing salve on it and wrapped it with cotton gauze. Since he was so young, it healed within a week. I've burnt my thumbs & fingers just as badly and my calf muscle once and used the same remedy with the same results except the healing takes longer for adults.
    Old 03-01-2011, 08:42 PM

I try to always keep an aloe plant growing. I have used this plant so many times. Just tear a leaf off and open it up. The sticky gooie stuff inside is so cool. Everytime I use it, I never blister.

Before I got an aloe plant, I tipped a cup of hot water on me. I was canning. It went all down my stomach and leg. I run to the bathroom and kept putting cold rags on it. I was amazed it did not blister at all. I was so lucky.

Hope your fingers get better soon.
    Old 03-01-2011, 08:53 PM

Hope your fingers are better soon. Lots of interesting remedies. Hope you find one that works.

I use one of those Ov-glove's for taking things out of the oven. Had a family gathering one time and was taking a hot glass pan out of the oven. Didn't realize when I put on the glove that it had a couple of wet fingers from sitting by the sink. Ended up with burns so bad that the skin fell off of 3 fingers. Sooooo - be very careful using those gloves - make sure they are dry.

Had to laugh when I read the title of your thread - I thought 'who wants to know what others know about me?' My last name is Burns. You had me going for a minute.
    Old 03-01-2011, 08:59 PM

Location: Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!

I am still working on reading all the suggestions, but even tho its a stinky remedy, dipping the area in vinegar actually works. It has analgesic (pain relieving) properties. It doesn't smell good, but helps relieve most of the burning sensation. And COOL water, not cold! Too much chill can damage the already damaged tissue ~ hope you're feeling better fast!
    Old 03-01-2011, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Naturalmama
    Thanks for the suggestions. I have it soaking in some aloe juice w/an ice cube now. Amazing how much it still hurts when I take it out. Seriously - how do burn patients survive the pain when huge areas of their body are effected?! I consider myself as having a fairly high pain tolerance and I'm wondering how I'm gonna sleep tonight. Gotta get another ice cube!!!
    Lots of pain meds and silvadine cream.....
    Old 03-01-2011, 09:04 PM

I've heard the really bad burns where patients are in a burn unit do not cause a lot of pain as the burns are deep and have damaged the nerves, so no nerves, no pain.
    Old 03-01-2011, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by SuzanneG
    Cool water is better than cold. (Ice and very cold water can do more damage to the injured tissue.) Also, don't put anything on it that will seal in the heat, (butter, thick creams, etc.). It's best to just use cool water soaks and some aloe in between. If it blisters, that's a second degree burn and an antibacterial cream will help after you've done a few cool soaks. If it looks waxy white or has a leathery look/texture, that's a third degree burn and you should see a doctor.

I hope this helps and you feel better soon. :D
    As an EMT, I absolutely agree with this. Ice can actually freeze already damaged tissue. Cool water soaks with aloe/lidocane and pain reliever. Ouch...and don't break the blisters should they appear. The fluid inside is actually protecting the new tissue that is already forming. If they do break, keep dry and covered with sterile gauze.
    Old 03-01-2011, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by tlcquiltnut
    Lots of pain meds and silvadine cream.....
    That's what it's called....Silvadine! It really does help with the pain and the healing as well. Mine only had one little area at the wrist where it bends back and forth that started getting infected, etc. I just kept it covered really heavily in Silvadine and a sterile bandage. I think it had to be changed twice daily as I recall. Good luck!
    Old 03-01-2011, 09:17 PM

oops sorry....it was actually called "Silver Sulfadiazine" cream :D Hope that helps.
    Old 03-01-2011, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Qbee
    oops sorry....it was actually called "Silver Sulfadiazine" cream :D Hope that helps.
    I'll look into it - thanks!