Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • what do you like/not like about where you live >
  • what do you like/not like about where you live

• what do you like/not like about where you live

Old 04-25-2011, 06:44 AM

I live in Bend Oregon. There are two things I hate about Central Oregon. No Spring and the town is growing way too fast. Other than that this place is heaven. Summers are spectacular here. There is so much to do. There is something going on every weekend. Then there is the mountains for hiking, camping and fishing. Also all the lakes for boating. Portland is just over the hill, close but not too close. The Oregon coast is just 3 hours away.

Fall may be my favorite time of year. Cold crisp mornings and beautiful warm days. The fall colors are spectacular. Winter is fun here too. If you like Winter sports this is your place. We are only 20 minutes from Mt. Bachelor.

We also have the Sisters Quilt Festival. If you have never gone you are really missing something. Thousands of quilts hanging from all the buildings in Sisters. It is quilting overload. We also have many lovely quilt stores in Central Oregon.
    Old 04-25-2011, 06:52 AM
    Power Poster

I have only lived in Wis. I love the quiet, peacefulness (I am in the country). Its a beautiful area, with lots of farms, and wildlife...woods and lakes.
    Plus, all my family is here!
    Old 04-25-2011, 06:54 AM

Born in England, lived in Washington DC, Florida, SC, Upstate NY and back to SC...But, SC will always be my home..Live near the coast and while it gets hot and muggy here quick, I love it.. ..Upstate NY was BEAUTIFUL !!! But the taxes are unbelievable so we moved back here
    Old 04-25-2011, 06:56 AM

Grew up in Georgia, went to college in North Carolina,
    and ended up in TX for graduate school. I have lived in
    TX longer than any other place, but I do NOT like it at all.
    The people are great, but the heat is overwhelming. No
    change of season, no pretty trees, 100+ temps for 3 - 4
    months straight. I am yearning for the day that we can
    move back south. My husband still has a few more years
    to work, and then we're gone!! Georgia is the place to
    be - great people, 4 distinct seasons, not too many extremes
    weather wise, beautiful flowers and trees, and the list
    goes on. I will always be a Georgia Peach. However, I
    would move to Tennessee or North Carolina in a heartbeat
    for the same reasons.
    Have a Great Day!
    Old 04-25-2011, 06:57 AM

Well from everything I have read it sounds like I would love Tenn.
    I was born in AZ,moved to NJ then back to AZ then back to NJ all before 11 years old. Married moved to NY state in the 70's I liked it there except for the snow. Back to NJ then GA then FL then GA again and now VA.
    AZ was too hot. I did like that we lived way out in the country mostly. NJ I lived in a small town at the shore. Not too many good memories so I will skip that. NY country again I loved everything except the snow.Although I was in my early twenties didn't bother me as much as it does now.
    I like FL for that time in my life. I had friends and good schools for the kids. I hated to leave.
    Hated moving to GA again the first time all kinds of bad things happened. Same this time except for the last few years. Moved to a small town south of the Airport made friends,knew my neighbors,and most of the people who worked in the business in town. Loved the weather except the last few years the summers have been getting really hot. Loved the small town.
    VA well I have only been here a few months. I guess its ok. I didn't want to move,most of the people I have met are my brothers friends just are not my kind of people.They're nice but my friends were way different. The weather isn't all that much different. Just more snow. I really hate how all the houses are the same and everyone is on top of each other. Its like I can feel them.gives me the heebie jeebies. lol I have flashbacks to my Stepford wife days. Much more traffic.
    I am just waiting to win the lottery so I can move back to GA out in the country and have my own place.
    Old 04-25-2011, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by mhansen6
    I live in Bend Oregon. There are two things I hate about Central Oregon. No Spring and the town is growing way too fast. Other than that this place is heaven. Summers are spectacular here. There is so much to do. There is something going on every weekend. Then there is the mountains for hiking, camping and fishing. Also all the lakes for boating. Portland is just over the hill, close but not too close. The Oregon coast is just 3 hours away.

Fall may be my favorite time of year. Cold crisp mornings and beautiful warm days. The fall colors are spectacular. Winter is fun here too. If you like Winter sports this is your place. We are only 20 minutes from Mt. Bachelor.

We also have the Sisters Quilt Festival. If you have never gone you are really missing something. Thousands of quilts hanging from all the buildings in Sisters. It is quilting overload. We also have many lovely quilt stores in Central Oregon.
    Marie!!! Dang it - we're not supposed to tell people how great Oregon is!!! They just come and make us more crowded!!!!!!! BTW, OP, I agree with her on every aspect!!! :) We live 30 minutes south of Bend and are 20 minutes from 3 lakes -- 45 minutes from -- what, about 6 more lakes!!!
    Old 04-25-2011, 07:04 AM

I live just north of Portland, Oregon in Vancouver, Washington.

What I love is it seldom gets very cold here...our winters are wet and cool and snow is unusual. I love not shoveling snow. I love not being in a hurricane or tornado zone. I love the trees and the fact that my daily commute affords me views of Mt. St Helens and Mt Hood, and on a clear day I can see the tip of Mt. Adams. I love our average 80 degrees/low humidity summers. I love that I live closer to downtown Portland than some people whose address is in Portland, yet I don't have to cross the Columbia and deal with the traffic unless I wan to (because I live and work on the north side of the river). I love all the concerts and plays that come to Portland and all the fun and funky shops available to me anytime I want them, and the amazing restaurants in Portland and Vancouver...we almost never eat at a chain restaurant. I love that WA has no state income tax. I love that the beach and the mountains are less than two hours away. I love that there's an agility and obedience trial available almost any weekend I want to go within 2 hrs drive.

I don't love the wet weather at times. Most years I don;t mind but we have had a cold, rainy spring and I am ready to get past the rainy season. I wish I could grow tomatoes here better than I can (it takes forever to get hot enough for them). And I wish my relatives lived closer. Its always an expensive ordeal to see our parents or DHs son. They are all spread out though...so no matter where I lived, I'd still be far away from some of them.
    Old 04-25-2011, 07:09 AM

We live in what used to rural CT from mid-spring to after Thanksgiving. Then we head to Tucson for the winter. I love both places, and I feel so lucky to be able to spend time in both.

We have a big old farmhouse in CT, and I expanded from a tiny sewing room into my DD's room when she moved out. Heaven! My embroidery machine lives in CT, so this is where I do my embroidery and quilting to finish my tops into quilts.

I have a good sized sewing room in Tucson, too. That's where I take a bunch of classes. Tucson, not my sewing room. Cathey's in Tucson brings in great teachers 2 or 3 times each winter (and the rest of the year, which I sadly miss). I make a lot of my quilt tops here.
    Old 04-25-2011, 07:12 AM

I live in the Lakes Region of New Hampshire and Shipshewana Indiana in the heart of Amish country. I feel very blessed to live in two very different yet very beautiful areas in our country. In NH we live overlooking the largest lake, Lake Winnipesaukee, in the Northeast and enjoy beautiful views of mountains and sunsets over the water. In Indiana we live in a town of 500 residents, 50% of which are Amish. I love the breathtaking views of horse and buggies across the immaculate farming landscape and the warmth and love of the people. In Shipshewana we also have the largest flee market in the mid-west from May 1st to November 1st of every year. We also enjoy twice weekly auctions year round; antiques and collectables on Wednesdays and horse and farm animals every Friday.
    Old 04-25-2011, 07:13 AM

hey Barbare live in San Antonio want to meet in New Braunfels sometime next month???
    Love to meet other quilters on the board :thumbup: