Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • what do you like/not like about where you live >
  • what do you like/not like about where you live

• what do you like/not like about where you live

Old 04-25-2011, 07:16 AM

Lived most of my 56 years in Minnesota. The winters are ok and I don't like when it's really hot but I love the season changes and don't think I would be happy with out them. If we ever moved it would be somewhere with the same climate.
    Old 04-25-2011, 07:27 AM

Hi, I am new here. Reading through I see you are just over the mountain from me. You have one of the best quilt shops in Oregon. This is my daughters account, still trying to think of a name, so I can sign up.
    Old 04-25-2011, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
    Originally Posted by mhansen6
    I live in Bend Oregon. There are two things I hate about Central Oregon. No Spring and the town is growing way too fast. Other than that this place is heaven. Summers are spectacular here. There is so much to do. There is something going on every weekend. Then there is the mountains for hiking, camping and fishing. Also all the lakes for boating. Portland is just over the hill, close but not too close. The Oregon coast is just 3 hours away.

Fall may be my favorite time of year. Cold crisp mornings and beautiful warm days. The fall colors are spectacular. Winter is fun here too. If you like Winter sports this is your place. We are only 20 minutes from Mt. Bachelor.

We also have the Sisters Quilt Festival. If you have never gone you are really missing something. Thousands of quilts hanging from all the buildings in Sisters. It is quilting overload. We also have many lovely quilt stores in Central Oregon.
    Marie!!! Dang it - we're not supposed to tell people how great Oregon is!!! They just come and make us more crowded!!!!!!! BTW, OP, I agree with her on every aspect!!! :) We live 30 minutes south of Bend and are 20 minutes from 3 lakes -- 45 minutes from -- what, about 6 more lakes!!!
    Ok Dee...let me see if I can scare some of them off for you!! :lol:

I too, live in Central Oregon.
    Likes: Most of the people are friendly. The camping is good. The quilt shops are cool. No sales tax, but we make up for it in other ways!
    I do love that we're not far from the coast...I LOVE my ocean visits!!

Dislikes: It's expensive to live here. The same jar of spaghetti sauce that costs 3.95 here costs 1.98 just across the border in Idaho. Property taxes are outrageous, as are the costs of homes/property. (Not so much the homes/property right now that many have lost theirs to the banks, but the taxes are still outrageous)
    Junipers suck! I fight allergies every year. I'm not impressed with mountains, have lived the majority of my life around mountains and pine trees. Seen one mountain, they're pretty much all the same...

Life is pretty much what you make it no matter where you live...I guess I just don't WANT to like it here. :lol: I loved it when we were trucking...got to see a lot of country, and if I had my druthers, I'd be in the south somewhere!
    Old 04-25-2011, 07:34 AM

Why don't you buy an RV (a used one, not new) and live in each of the areas for 6 months or a year....then you'll know which place is for YOU!
    I didn't quote you before. Just over the mountain from you.
    Old 04-25-2011, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee
    Originally Posted by mhansen6
    I live in Bend Oregon. There are two things I hate about Central Oregon. No Spring and the town is growing way too fast. Other than that this place is heaven. Summers are spectacular here. There is so much to do. There is something going on every weekend. Then there is the mountains for hiking, camping and fishing. Also all the lakes for boating. Portland is just over the hill, close but not too close. The Oregon coast is just 3 hours away.

Fall may be my favorite time of year. Cold crisp mornings and beautiful warm days. The fall colors are spectacular. Winter is fun here too. If you like Winter sports this is your place. We are only 20 minutes from Mt. Bachelor.

We also have the Sisters Quilt Festival. If you have never gone you are really missing something. Thousands of quilts hanging from all the buildings in Sisters. It is quilting overload. We also have many lovely quilt stores in Central Oregon.
    Marie!!! Dang it - we're not supposed to tell people how great Oregon is!!! They just come and make us more crowded!!!!!!! BTW, OP, I agree with her on every aspect!!! :) We live 30 minutes south of Bend and are 20 minutes from 3 lakes -- 45 minutes from -- what, about 6 more lakes!!!
    Ok Dee...let me see if I can scare some of them off for you!! :lol:

I too, live in Central Oregon.
    Likes: Most of the people are friendly. The camping is good. The quilt shops are cool. No sales tax, but we make up for it in other ways!
    I do love that we're not far from the coast...I LOVE my ocean visits!!

Dislikes: It's expensive to live here. The same jar of spaghetti sauce that costs 3.95 here costs 1.98 just across the border in Idaho. Property taxes are outrageous, as are the costs of homes/property. (Not so much the homes/property right now that many have lost theirs to the banks, but the taxes are still outrageous)
    Junipers suck! I fight allergies every year. I'm not impressed with mountains, have lived the majority of my life around mountains and pine trees. Seen one mountain, they're pretty much all the same...

Life is pretty much what you make it no matter where you live...I guess I just don't WANT to like it here. :lol: I loved it when we were trucking...got to see a lot of country, and if I had my druthers, I'd be in the south somewhere!
    I live in Oakridge. It's perfect.

Born and raised in Arkansas and can't imagine living anywhere else (unless the air conditioning breaks), but I do like to visit other places!

There is not much to dislike about Montana. I live outside Bozeman. We get snow, but never snowed in. Beautiful summers just long and hot enough to miss winter. The most beautiful mountains I have ever seen are visable from everywhere. The people are great (must have all been quilters in a past life). And don't even get me started on the sky. Only problem I can think of is that my dear sister still lives in California.

born and raised in Jersey..(I cant count the 6 months I lived in ND.I was only 6 months old)(mom is from ND, dad was in the air force)
    I guess I am just use to it here.
    I couldn't imagine living someplace that I couldn't get to the beach within 45 min.(or even at all) (or the montains, but I would rather the beach)
    insurance is high (that sucks)
    house are expensive
    Kinda hate the winters, snow, but I am sure if I didn't have it I would miss it.
    I guess I live having the four seasons.
    It can get very humid here.
    about a 20 min train ride to NYC, not that I ever go)
    But there could be some more fabric store around!
    Old 04-25-2011, 07:42 AM
    Power Poster

I grew up in the northern Indiana, southern Michigan area. Lived in Redondo Beach, CA for 4 years; also lived in Thomson, Ga for 3 years; have been in Tennessee for 2/3rd of my life. Love it here--just enough snow--marvelous springs--humidity is not too bad--fall is beautiful--I am so blessed. My only regret--most of my family lives away from here.
    Old 04-25-2011, 07:44 AM

I like the area of the country where I live. I am a little over an hour from Washington D C where I grew up, married lived in subrub in MD now live in the mountains near Gettysburg PA. Love the change of seasons, no matter how cold the winter is or hot/humid the summer is, I know the season will change. Am always thankful when I hear of bad weather things happening in other parts of the country or world, that I can put up with whatever yucky weather I am having at the time.
    Would like to be closer to major shopping but save money by not being closer LOL.