Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • what do you like/not like about where you live >
  • what do you like/not like about where you live

• what do you like/not like about where you live

Old 04-25-2011, 07:51 AM

Another vote for Tennessee! I'm a Georgia girl by birth, but married a navy man. We lived all over from Seattle to south Texas to TN to FL. PLus Japan and England. I love TN. We started out in Memphis, but moved to east TN when DH retired. We have a home on top of a ridge with a gorgeous view from our screened porch. We are also fortunate to have a Motorhome amd can spend winters in FL and summers in VT. But the weather in TN is not that bad, so we could be happy staying here year round. The taxes are low and cost of living is low. The people are great, and I have 5 quilt shops within 30 miles. Life is good!
    The only thing I can think of that I don't like is the pollen in the spring. But I just blow my nose more often and enjoy the dogwoods and azaleas and daffaodils and tulips! Nothing is free!
    Old 04-25-2011, 07:59 AM

I grew up in Iowa and it is pretty humid in summer there by the Mississippi river. Huntsville,Alabama is also really humid but nice clean town. Arizona is very dry and humidity is approx. 8 percent, drying your skin, so you will have to use lotion to keep your skin from drawing up like a prune. They have a really long growing season if you want a garden and you have to always watch where you put your feet because of snakes, especially rattlesnakes. I lived in Medford, Oregon which I loved because the ocean was only 2 hours away but the prices of food, taxes and gasoline are high. I now live in Idaho where it is really cold for approx. 6 months of the year with lots of snowy gray days. Frost here as late as June 10th. If I had to choose between any of these states it would be Oregon to live. There will always be things you don't like about every place you move to, so just pick the least problems.
    IdahoSandy
    Old 04-25-2011, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Navy Wife
    Another vote for Tennessee! I'm a Georgia girl by birth, but married a navy man. We lived all over from Seattle to south Texas to TN to FL. PLus Japan and England. I love TN. We started out in Memphis, but moved to east TN when DH retired. We have a home on top of a ridge with a gorgeous view from our screened porch. We are also fortunate to have a Motorhome amd can spend winters in FL and summers in VT. But the weather in TN is not that bad, so we could be happy staying here year round. The taxes are low and cost of living is low. The people are great, and I have 5 quilt shops within 30 miles. Life is good!
    The only thing I can think of that I don't like is the pollen in the spring. But I just blow my nose more often and enjoy the dogwoods and azaleas and daffaodils and tulips! Nothing is free!
    This sounds like the perfect life! The beauty of TN in spring and summer, the beauty of VT in summer and fall, and dogwood trees, azaleas...ahhh, yes. :thumbup:

And low taxes and low cost of living??! Dang. We're going to have to sell the farm and move :mrgreen:
    Melody
    Old 04-25-2011, 08:08 AM

I lived in Sacramento CA for most of my life. The longer I lived there, the more I hated it. Too much traffic, crime and noise and neighbors right in your face. After retired, moved to the desert town of Stagecoach, NV and it is wonderful. Very, very small, no noise or traffic, and it is not that far from grocery store, then 30- minutes to get to Carson City NV where we do most of our shopping at least once a week. Love it here, although if something should happen to my spouse, would move closer to my family in CA. although it would be to a smaller community. Love the peace and quiet the desert gives us.

I lived in Sacramento CA for most of my life. The longer I lived there, the more I hated it. Too much traffic, crime and noise and neighbors right in your face. After retired, moved to the desert town of Stagecoach, NV and it is wonderful. Very, very small, no noise or traffic, and it is not that far from grocery store, then 30- minutes to get to Carson City NV where we do most of our shopping at least once a week. Love it here, although if something should happen to my spouse, would move closer to my family in CA. although it would be to a smaller community. Love the peace and quiet the desert gives us.

Originally Posted by Sweeterthanwine
    Oops - sorry for the double post.
    Old 04-25-2011, 08:29 AM

Rural Pennsylvanian here I like that we have four seasonsas I can't imagine Christmas w/o snow. The thing I dislike the most is the lack of activities. As a SAHM it is difficult to network my pre-baby friends work full time and the groups that I have tried don't appreciate the kids no matter how well behaved.
    Old 04-25-2011, 08:34 AM

Born in North CArolina,lived in fla,ohio, tenn.calif,az,washington state.I love az,I miss tennessee terrible(except ex lives there).And if it wasnt for the earthquakes and santa ana winds california would be alright.
    SO Arizona is where I'll stay
    Old 04-25-2011, 08:39 AM

Born and raised in Sioux Lookout, ON Canada. Love that it is a small community where my door is never locked, neighbours are great friends and get to see my neice and nephews daily. Mom lives here too and she was a god send when my babies were little!!! I love my health care here too!!!! We live on the lake so summer is the best!! Lots of swimming, boating, fishing, bon fires ect!!

Dislike the long, cold winters!!! Dislike the price of gas $1.42 per litre!! Dislike the 15% tax on everything!! Land taxes are out of this world!! Last but not least MOSQUITOS in the summer!!!!!
    Old 04-25-2011, 08:47 AM

Everything but the rain.