Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • What ever Happened to the Good ol' Days...... >
  • What ever Happened to the Good ol' Days......

• What ever Happened to the Good ol' Days......

Old 03-16-2010, 07:06 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by Lisanne
    So what does your name stand for, lost in the '50s?
    Yes it means just that literally "Lost in 1951". Funny thing is my house, car, and a lot of furnishings I own were made in 1951.

As far as my families lifestyle its almost like "Leave it to Beaver" when you come through the doors of my home. At least that what my kids and their friends say. My wife and I hold the same values and morals that America had in the 50's but we do have the modern conveniences of the internet, satellite tv, and so forth. Sorta the modern day version of the show :lol:

But I hate that everytime you turn on the news that there is another child missing or some kind of crime happened.

Thats the main reason I am moving out to my property in middle TN after my daughter graduates this year. At least there I am so far back in the woods you have to pipe sunlight to me! :mrgreen: And the most exciting thing that happens around there is deer season.

Billy
    Old 03-16-2010, 07:16 AM

You may be lost in the 50's but your location is Bikini Bottom so somebody's been watching some modern SpongeBob Squarepants. My daughters room is done like Bikini Bottom. We put down vinyl flooring that looks like sand, painted the dresser with textured paint that looks like sand, did the SB and Patrick drawer pulls, the walls start out dark aqua by the floor and get lighter as you go up until the ceiling is a pale aqua. I spray painted all the sea flowers and sea cactus' on then took the lid to the spray paint, dipped in white paint and made bubbles all over the walls. I went back in with a small brush and did a little comma shaped highlight on each bubble. BUT, the best thing was that when I hung aqua curtains up. When the sun shines in the air looks blue. She also has a SB tv, DVDplayer, chair, footstool, bed set, etc. The one draw back? She's just about to outgrow it and I'm going to have to change it.
    Old 03-16-2010, 07:24 AM
    Power Poster

I grew up in the 50s and it was a simpler time and much weren't as bad as now. I don't remember ever hearing of women letting boyfriends or Dads beat their babies and little kids, sometimes within an inch of their lives or to death.
    I do like the modern times. It would be nice to pick and choose.
    Old 03-16-2010, 07:32 AM

It happened back then too, maybe even more so, it's just that abuse wasn't recognized and reported as much back then. Same with affairs, unwed pregnancies, extramarital sex, it all happened back then it was just kept quiet and NEVER mentioned in front of children. People haven't changed their actions, we're just more open about it now. I'd be happy just to go back to when pregnant women actually covered their bellies.
    Old 03-16-2010, 09:26 AM

Who says we can't go back to the good old times? What we need to do is recreate it, keeping the good, leaving behind, but not forgetting, the bad. We don't want an instance of "history repeats itself" when it comes to hiding our heads in the sand when there's domestic violence at our neighbor's house, or accepting racism ecause "that's the way it is"!

I applaud parents who supervise television viewing. Just because it's the information age, doesn't mean we need to be saturated with some things.
    Old 03-16-2010, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by raptureready
    You may be lost in the 50's but your location is Bikini Bottom so somebody's been watching some modern SpongeBob Squarepants. My daughters room is done like Bikini Bottom. We put down vinyl flooring that looks like sand, painted the dresser with textured paint that looks like sand, did the SB and Patrick drawer pulls, the walls start out dark aqua by the floor and get lighter as you go up until the ceiling is a pale aqua. I spray painted all the sea flowers and sea cactus' on then took the lid to the spray paint, dipped in white paint and made bubbles all over the walls. I went back in with a small brush and did a little comma shaped highlight on each bubble. BUT, the best thing was that when I hung aqua curtains up. When the sun shines in the air looks blue. She also has a SB tv, DVDplayer, chair, footstool, bed set, etc. The one draw back? She's just about to outgrow it and I'm going to have to change it.
    Pictures please! This sounds so cute.
    Old 03-16-2010, 12:09 PM

Okay but it may be a day or two. I'm cleaning it right now. That is one messy child. :(
    Old 03-16-2010, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by tlrnhi
    Originally Posted by PatriceJ
    as i was composing my response i realized that for everything i wish we could regain, there's something else i'm glad we've left behind.

too bad we can't pick, choose, and keep the good things from then and now AND eliminate or leave behind the bad from both.
    I agree!!!
    I do too and I guarantee that one day our kids will be telling our grandchildren about their "good old days".
    Old 03-16-2010, 03:17 PM
    Banned

Originally Posted by bodie358
    Originally Posted by raptureready
    Pictures please! This sounds so cute.
    Yes I would love to see that!!

I started to paint my Studio all in a SpongBob theme but changed my mind in mid stream. I have tons of SB tons and collectibles and was noticing they have a vinyl wallpaper that has Bikini Bottom in the background and SB, Squidward, and Patricks houses on it. Looks just like you are in the cartoon.

If your daughter outgrows the theme then I would love to swap rooms with her!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Billy
    Old 03-16-2010, 03:25 PM
    Power Poster

I was born in 55 and grew up in the 50s and 60s but one thing noone has mentioned is if we went back we wouldn't be talking together. Computers back then took up whole rooms and were not personal at all or in anybody's homes!! They computed and spit out cards with the answers!! LOL