Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • What gifting a quilt means to me >
  • What gifting a quilt means to me

• What gifting a quilt means to me

Old 12-28-2010, 08:01 PM

I think I would be very confused if my MIL thought I didn't like her. I really, truly love my MIL, nearly as much as I love my own mother. She's a gem. How odd.

Anyhow, I though I would do like mentioned above. Mention to her how you heard the quilt you gave her has been well travelled and that you're glad she loves it so much. A quilt is a labor of love that is done only for those YOU love.
    Old 12-28-2010, 08:04 PM

I am not, and I mean I am NOT, saying that your MIL is anything like mine. BUT....I know my MIL plays this "game" with her son (my DH) and I. She also plays the game between the two sons, I hate to say it, but sometimes she does this just to get attention/sympathy from one or the other. She plays each sons family against the other. It is irritating, but, we have learned (the hard way) that this is just her way.
    Old 12-28-2010, 08:14 PM

Three days before my MIL died in my arms she told me she had underestimated me for years. She didn't like me in the beginning, but said I treated her better than her own daughters. Even when she was being judgemental of me, I always told her I loved her, and in the end she finally believed me. Just tell her you love her and let the stuff everyone else told you roll off your back. Just remember, they said She thought You didn't like Her, not that She didn't Like You!! Big difference.
    Old 12-28-2010, 08:17 PM

I'm sorry so many people have MIL issues. Just to clarify, my MIL is not in any way mean. I don't think she's playing a game. She doesn't have a duplicitous bone in her body. I think I might understand this better if she were that way. I'm not at all mad at her, just confused, and honestly, I think a little hurt.

I know I can't expect others to feel this way, but I feel that there is no greater compliment I can give than to give someone a hand-made item. Because my MIL loves hand-made gifts, particularly quilts, as well, I never thought she would question my feelings after recieving a quilt.

Thanks for the support, guys!
    Old 12-28-2010, 08:27 PM

Yeah if she got gifted a quilt I'd say you really like her.

Just this year I have made quilts for several family members that I love dearly. Unfortunately MIL was not one of the recipients. Our relationship is not the greatest, problems with my MIL are mostly between her and DH.(She chose men, and a different lifestyle than most mothers, she didn't take care of him when he was little, and when she was actually with him she was mean to him. She kicked him out of the house when he turned 18, he had a job and his own checking acct - she stole money from him. There's lots more, its really sad. He hardly ever talks about his childhood when he does he makes me cry.)

Needless to say DH harbours lots of bad feelings. MIL can go for months at a time without seeing DH or our children (her grandchildren) In 2009 one of our boys had hernia surgery and she had the nerve to get mad at us for not calling her. To be honest it just didn't occur to me as something I should do since she barely sees them anyway.

I try to stay totally out of it. I won't be mean to her, but truthfully she is not one of my favorite people in the world.

Anyways...... to the point. She has hinted all year that she would love to have a quilt. Her hints have not been at all subtle. I decided to gift her a quilt sometime in 2011. (The plan is to start it sometime in June so it will be done by her birthday in August) But I am dreading it so BAD :( Its just no fun making something for someone you don't have that "LOVE" for. My own mom told me to look at like this....... She is my husbands mother, and that means something. I don't want to give somebody something and begrudge it. IDK..... But I can relate. If you love or even like someone gifting is so easy, but when there's no feeling behind it, its makes it so much harder.

WOW I really rambled on.
    Old 12-29-2010, 02:58 AM

she may of had a bad day,
    was feeling blue. i wouldn't think on it at all anymore. let it go.
    "PITA" has new meaning in my life now!

:lol:
    Old 12-29-2010, 03:40 AM

This may not be a good idea for some, but i am the type of person to just ask (calmly of coarse) Maybe she just needs to have a "heart to heart" with you and doesn't know how.
    I hope you can work things out :lol:
    Old 12-29-2010, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by mommamac
    how about sending her a note - something like:

I heard that your new quilt has visited many people ~ I'm thrilled that you think so much of it. Only special people get quilts from me and I'm happy to say you are one!
    This is a great response as it covers everything.
    Old 12-29-2010, 03:51 AM

I heard that your new quilt has visited many people ~ I'm thrilled that you think so much of it. Only special people get quilts from me and I'm happy to say you are one!
    I agree!

:thumbup:
    Old 12-29-2010, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem

I like this!!!!
    I like this, too!!!!!!!!!!