Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • What is the job situation in your part of the world? >
  • What is the job situation in your part of the world?

• What is the job situation in your part of the world?

Old 09-08-2010, 04:39 AM

RI has one of the highest levels of unemployment in the country. Manufacturing and construction are just about at a standstill. I have been out of work for nearly 2 years. Being nearly 60,the job market for me is slim to none.
    Old 09-08-2010, 04:44 AM

I have had my hours cut in half, but at least I am still working. Being in the rust belt, alot of manufacturing jobs have disappeared. My husband's company has been on the verge of closing for several years. But on the good side my son got the very first job he applied for this summer, minimum wage at a local store.
    Old 09-08-2010, 04:45 AM

I was laid off Nov 08, I was not last hired but she made less than I did. I have worked for 10 weeks at a seasonal job since then. UE rate in my area is 15%, everything is closing. 2 sons can't find jobs. Manufacturers are laying off workers and then hiring thru a temp company paying no benefits and low wages and when your 3 months are up they find a reason to let you go so you cannot draw UE. I had an interview last month for a part time shipping job that paid $8 hr and you had to receive 75-100 pkgs., re-pack and re-ship them in 4.5 hours. Was told I would be expected to "hustle" the whole time I was there with no break. I had to take an aptitude test and a psychological test. Really stupid questions. Fat, female, 50 -no jobs available unless you are willing to drive over 100 miles a day for less than $8. So much for the stimulus package!!! Sorry for the rant but UE is up next week and if I cannot get some sewing (alterations) in I will have to resort to DH paying my bills. Luckily he is a truck driver and he is working 55-60 hrs a week.
    Old 09-08-2010, 04:58 AM

Living in the DC Metro area, we have a false economy due to the government. Here Companies are begging for people. Hospitals will pay up front money to hire you. Restaurants and such are doing well due to govt. workers. Our UE is way under the national average. But, on the flip side, cost of living here is out of sight. A small 2 BR apt will run you $1200/1400. per mth + you pay electric another %100. A small 3 BR house sell for $600,000. inside the beltway. You have to go 35 miles or more to buy a house under $300,000. So we have jobs but it takes every penny 2 people can make to stay afloat.
    Old 09-08-2010, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by stitchinwitch
    It is always bad here - not too many businesses. DH and I are retired - living on a fixed income and really have to watch the "extras" in life. The nicer restaurants in the next larger town are hurting badly. ...... sure don't like what is happening to everyone..
    I am the yougest of 10 siblings and all but 2 , including me, are retired. They complain about their "fixed" incomes and I keep saying I wish mine was fixed cause it's been broken for quite some time! Gotta laugh and be thankful for what we have; health, family, friends and a roof over our heads.
    Old 09-08-2010, 05:19 AM
    Power Poster

I;m on Long Island NY, there's a rumr that 6,000 jobs were created last year. I don't think so. those people just ran out of unemployment, ( i was on it for over 2 years). Not to mention all the foreigners that are here and getting welfare(under someone else's ss#) and inour school districts, where our tax money is going for english as a second language. I used todrive a bus. English as a second alnguage (ESL) is a fortune. they go in early more money for busses, breakfast at schol, heating/airconditions, extra teachers and o.t., lunch ladies,(to serve breakfast) janitors, lightig, drivers, monitors, books,addws up and taxes go up. these people get ot pay, our taxes. shool's are on austerity, can't afford sports, band art cos extra $$$$ is goig for esl. people get laid off and never replaced, things are terrible on Long Island, they are leaving in droves for the south an midwest. there's jobs at fast food, at minimum wage, they hire for 10 hr shifts, so now you EMPLOYED. it's bad here. altoof foreclosures on every block in every neighborhood.
    Old 09-08-2010, 05:19 AM
    Power Poster

not good for me anyway. but then, i'm old. makes a difference. I'm still looking. i was laid off in March so a young co-worker could take my job.
    Old 09-08-2010, 05:22 AM

Age discrimination is alive and well!!! I'm 60 and have been laid off since July, 2009. Most of the available jobs I have found are almost 50 miles away in San Francisco area and I don't want to commute that far. Have had a few nibbles, but at a huge decrease in customary wages, and have always lost out to someone younger who wants less money. Too old to be hired, and too young for Social Security/Medicare. Cobra is almost up, and I'll have to pay some high prices for health insurance. Sooo, have decided to open a small business just enough to try to pay for health insurance which is about $500 a month at my age. Cannot get on DH's insurance (long story, but at least he is still working.
    Old 09-08-2010, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by marymc
    Things are pretty bad in MN. Thankfully I am working and husband is working most of the time. I have a son and Brother in law who have worked very little in over 2 years. Both in construction. My daughter will graduate from college in December. She is heading to Portland OR so I hope the job market is better there. I consider us some of the lucky ones since we are at a pretty good spot and can help each other through tough times.
    Unless she's really set on living in Oregon I wouldn't come here (at least without a job already lined up). Historically Oregon has deeper and longer recessions than the rest of the country. Our unemployment has been higher than the national average for more than 10 years! One of the more recent studies is that we are at 10.5% unemployment rate and the rest of the country averages 9.5%.
    Don't get me wrong I love living here but economically Oregon is a tough state to live in.
    Old 09-08-2010, 05:41 AM

WORST UNEMPLOYMENT NUMBERS IN THE COUNTRY
    41 INDIANA 10.2
    42 ILLINOIS 10.3
    42 OHIO 10.3
    44 OREGON 10.6
    45 MISSISSIPPI 10.8
    45 SOUTH CAROLINA 10.8
    47 FLORIDA 11.5
    48 RHODE ISLAND 11.9
    49 CALIFORNIA 12.3
    50 MICHIGAN 13.1