Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • What kind of computer should I buy >
  • What kind of computer should I buy

• What kind of computer should I buy

Old 07-27-2017, 05:02 AM
    Power Poster

I buy the cheapest one Walmart has on a laptop. I don't do work on mine. I use it for internet, downloading and printing out quilt patterns, USB, mouse, dvd drive, camera, mic, EQ, word program, photos, and streaming movies. Even the low end computers now are excellent. The one I am using now is over four years old and doing fine and it was on sale for $198. It upgrades with no problem. I think I have Windows 10 on it. I don't want to invest a lot of money in one. The main thing is if your internet service more then the computer.
    Old 07-27-2017, 10:06 AM

I have pretty much shifted back to a Mac. Fewer problems with hacking.
    Old 07-27-2017, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH
    I have a Mac and love it. However, it's a personal choice. I went to the store and told them my needs and had them help me choose. I use a PC also but I prefer my Mac. It is safer for viruses and I have my other things that go with it ( I have about 5 Ipods that I download from the Mac. But really, it's a personal choice. I would test them out and see which one works for you. PC's are cheaper than Macs, anything Apple is pricey, but for me worth it.
    Macs are more pricey, but there is a way to make them more affordable. If you go to the apple site, and scroll to the bottom of the page, you will find reconditioned macs. Basically this means it is a new computer in a old case. I have bought nearly all of my tablets that way. I do not care if the outside is a little rough since it will be in a protective case anyway.
    Instead of several hundred dollars, I have bought and gifted Ipads this way many times. I always throw in a tough case, so blemishes are not an issue. All of my electronics are apple products since I want them all to play together well. Also, they are completely "Kelly proof". I can easily teach myself the newer upgrades easily using macs, and not worrying about doing something wrong. Bonus, the newer tablets allow you to print wirelessly using Bluetooth technology. Good luck on your search. (If you get on Amazon, you can find reconditioned apple products for even less money. Just be sure to read the seller reviews before ordering.) I have bought my last two tablets this way, and no issues at all.
    Old 07-27-2017, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by cindyb
    I am not a computer geek and I'm needing to replace this old lap top computer. Every time I see computers on TV shows or news casts, I see the Apple logo. I think they are more popular on the West coast (?) because only a couple of people I know have one. Is there anyone that loves their laptop (or tablet) for the ease of getting around in it and also the ease of printing out patterns. Any recommendations for retired and not wanting to get into more technology people like me?
    My last few pc purchases have been from local computer repair/sales shop. One was an ASUS desktop but the laptop was Dell that he modified to include a Solid State hard drive. Best of all, his warranty is three years with no additional charge, and he is less than 15 minutes from me. I am happy with his service and also it is nice to be able to support local business.
    Old 07-27-2017, 11:29 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by cindyb
    I am not a computer geek and I'm needing to replace this old lap top computer. Every time I see computers on TV shows or news casts, I see the Apple logo. I think they are more popular on the West coast (?) because only a couple of people I know have one. Is there anyone that loves their laptop (or tablet) for the ease of getting around in it and also the ease of printing out patterns. Any recommendations for retired and not wanting to get into more technology people like me?
    A lot depends on how you intend to use it. I personally don't like laptops, but my dh has two (both android). I have a Windows 10 computer I love and use a lot. However, for sitting in front of the tv, I love my iPad. My dh has a Samsung tablet, but I don't think you can beat an iPad for ease of use and just plain fun. I have never tried to print from my iPad, but I know it can be done. iPads are pricier, but they are the easiest to use. Issues I have noticed with android tablets is that (1) there are often compatibility issues with other devices, and (2) apps seem to be better for iPad. For one thing, quite a few apps are available for Apple IOS but not android. I noticed this especially for voice apps (because I had to research voice readers for my dyslexic daughter) and other apps for the disabled. Also, the voice translation qualifies of Apple are far superior to android (both text-to-speech and speech-to-text). Maybe that is why there are more and better voice apps for Apple products. This is probably not a big issue for many people, but if you are vision-impaired and want to utilize text-to-speech readers, Apple is definitely the way to go.

Be aware that if you want to use GPS on a tablet, the wi-fi only version (which is about $100 less expensive) will not be good for that. You need to get "cellular network capability" and hook the tablet up to your cell phone account. What this does is allow your tablet to access data from your cell network while on the road. With wi-fi only, your tablet will only connect to local wi-fi as you travel which means your GPS will not work well. Also, if you want to use your tablet in a restaurant while you are on the road, it is nice to have that cellular network capability so your tablet isn't a brick while you are sitting at the table (waiting to find out how to log in to the restaurant's wi-fi network). If you have an iPhone, though, you can hard-wire your iPhone to your iPad to allow your wi-fi only iPad to use your iPhone's cellular network.

Hope this wasn't too much information for you!

I have tried laptops, but I just hate the keyboards, balancing them on my lap, etc. If you are thinking about getting a laptop instead of a tablet, I would definitely advise going to Best Buy and having someone show you how a MacBook Air works. My daughter loves the MacBook Air; it is one of the best laptops for non-STEM college students. However, there is a huge learning curve when switching from Windows to a Mac laptop. EVERYTHING -- file system, access, settings -- is different than Windows. Once you learn it, you love it. However, it can be very frustrating to learn when you are already very used to Windows.

My recommendation is definitely for an iPad if you are looking for a tablet that is easy to use. I love mine and would never replace it with an android tablet. If you are looking for a laptop, the MacBook Air is great but can take time to learn. For me, the difference in tablets is huge; the difference in laptops, not so much.

Edit: OMG. Didn't mean to run on so long. Guess I need more coffee. I wanted to add that you should probably plan a few trips to Best Buy to learn more. They are great nowadays. The people are well-trained and they do *not* work on commission so will spend as much time as you need explaining things. Also, if you purchase there, they offer free group classes to help get you started on your new device.

Last edited by Prism99; 07-27-2017 at 11:31 AM.
    Old 07-27-2017, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by DebbieJJ
    I've had great luck with my Toshiba laptop. I bought my first one almost 9 yrs. ago, then 4 yrs. ago I replaced it with another Toshiba because I wanted more hard drive space (plus I wanted a new computer). When I have to replace this one, I will purchase another Toshiba.
    I've had good luck with Toshiba's, too. I had 2 satellites and they were both good laptops. If you want to watch movies on it, Toshiba has a nice large screen and keypad for numbers.

I've also had 2 HP Elitebooks. I've had good luck with both. They're small and light and easy for me to tote around the house.

My husband has an old Panasonic Toughbook. It was expensive when we bought it, but it's paid for itself with years and years of service. I love my Elitebook, but I'm considering a Toughbook next time just for the longevity.

I meant to add that before you buy Apple or a Mac, be sure that any programs you use have a version that will work on that computer. I use Quickbooks for work and so want a laptop that will run Quickbooks so that I can use the laptop at home or when I need a backup at the office without having to have 2 versions of the one program.

Last edited by cashs_mom; 07-27-2017 at 01:07 PM.
    Old 07-27-2017, 08:50 PM

I have an HP Pavilion that has Windows 7. I like it, it can do more than I know what to do (just like my Bernina). I have had it for 3 yrs.
    Old 07-28-2017, 03:00 AM

There are several things to consider. What are you going to be using the computer for? How much money do you want to spend? Go talk to the people at both the Apple Store and Best Buy, then make your decision. I love my iPad, but when my Windows based laptop died, I bought a Dell laptop because there are certain things I cannot do on an Apple and because I did not wantto spend $1000 on a computer at this point in my life.
    Old 07-28-2017, 06:08 AM

In the Apple vs. PC decision - don't forget to take into consideration software you already own and would want to continue to use. If you own PC software, it will likely not be compatible with a Mac, and vice-versa. You can often run "emulation" software to try to mimic the other operating system, but in my experience that is usually problematic.

You may run into trouble anyway if the software is too old for the latest operating system, but sometimes you can get upgrades or patches to get around that.

I'm a programmer but I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to hardware - I tend to shop Newegg.com and trust the reviews I read there. My last 3 computers have come from there and I've been happy with all of them. (2 laptops & one desktop; all three are still in use!)
    Old 07-29-2017, 04:06 AM

Bought a MacBook from Apple and I love it. But.. it will not work with my Bernina embroidery programs. Be sure to check stuff like that out!