Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • What kind of computer should I buy >
  • What kind of computer should I buy

• What kind of computer should I buy

Old 07-26-2017, 03:43 AM

Default What kind of computer should I buy

I am not a computer geek and I'm needing to replace this old lap top computer. Every time I see computers on TV shows or news casts, I see the Apple logo. I think they are more popular on the West coast (?) because only a couple of people I know have one. Is there anyone that loves their laptop (or tablet) for the ease of getting around in it and also the ease of printing out patterns. Any recommendations for retired and not wanting to get into more technology people like me?
    Old 07-26-2017, 04:48 AM
    Power Poster

I have a Mac and love it. However, it's a personal choice. I went to the store and told them my needs and had them help me choose. I use a PC also but I prefer my Mac. It is safer for viruses and I have my other things that go with it ( I have about 5 Ipods that I download from the Mac. But really, it's a personal choice. I would test them out and see which one works for you. PC's are cheaper than Macs, anything Apple is pricey, but for me worth it.
    Old 07-26-2017, 03:23 PM

The people at Best Buy could help out. I bought my laptop from Newegg.com a few years ago. It just a basic one I use when traveling or when I am confined to my recliner due to back issues.
    Mine is a Gateway, Dell is a good one too.
    Get a big hard drive, the one I have has 500 gb of space. And remember to cover the camera when not in use. One never knows who is peeking.....lol
    If it's just for searching the web or general use a laptop start looking at ones in the $350.00 to $500.00 range.
    My screen is 15", a dvd player, usb ports and a touch pad, but you can hook up an external mouse or track ball.

As for my desktop I have that one custom built for my video games. That usually runs me about $2,000 every four years with memory and video card upgrades in between.
    Old 07-26-2017, 11:59 PM

I've had great luck with my Toshiba laptop. I bought my first one almost 9 yrs. ago, then 4 yrs. ago I replaced it with another Toshiba because I wanted more hard drive space (plus I wanted a new computer). When I have to replace this one, I will purchase another Toshiba.
    Old 07-27-2017, 03:16 AM
    Power Poster

i learned that Macs are not immune. thousands of e- mails "disappeared from my iMac.
    Old 07-27-2017, 03:44 AM
    Power Poster

We have macs and they are very popular here on the east side of the country where we live. Of course they are not immune. They are far more resistant though to viruses. Some email providers also have been know to have issues regardless of the operating system. As said above, it is personal
    oreference. Macs cost more to start but there is always free help at 1800 MY APPLE. at least we have found this to be true. Also if you are a Costco member they offer concierge services and an additional warranty.
    Old 07-27-2017, 04:20 AM

I bought a laptop by hp for my sewing machine. It has windows 10. I hate it . I took it to a software class a week or so ago and could not get into the computer. I was unable to participate in the class. When I got home it opened right away, looked it up and apparently this is problem with windows 10. So Husqvarna is going to love me, I am going for the upgraded program that can be used on Mac, and will buy a Mac for my sewing machine. The hp has other issues too. My husband has a Mac, when he had a minor problem I spoke with James from apple, he spent so much time with me solving the problem and teaching me all sorts of things about the computer. I also had a toshiba before this, it was pretty good. I think I just want to get away from windows.
    Old 07-27-2017, 04:25 AM

My husband has a Mac that I need to use occasionally. Keep in mind there is a big learning curve -- it is different from a Windows computer.

My computer is an HP that I have had for 2 years and am very happy with.

Good luck!
    Old 07-27-2017, 04:31 AM

We currently have a computer that operates on Windows and Apple iPad. So they aren't always compatible. The iPad travels with us, so our next computer will be Apple. That way things can transfer back and forth (like photos) and also, Apple has fewer security concerns. Try to compare several computers online and then go to the brick and mortar stores to check out the ones that meet your needs. I agree with Rebas's quilts about Windows 10. Not many folks out there like it.
    Old 07-27-2017, 04:44 AM

I use a mac and love it. It took me a couple of months to get used to it after using windows since it's existence. I don't think I could ever go back to windows.