Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • What is the most unusual gift you have ever gotten/ given? >
  • What is the most unusual gift you have ever gotten/ given?

• What is the most unusual gift you have ever gotten/ given?

Old 11-22-2011, 05:06 PM

Well... er... um... I must confess. I was invited to a birthday party, and I was told to bring a prank gift. It never occurred to me that the prank gift should be age-related, since the birthday girl was only 35. So, I went to - ahem - a marital-aid kind of store and purchased a certain leather item. I was just mortified when everyone else brought Geritol, Depends, and Metamucil.
    Old 11-22-2011, 07:04 PM

DH likes to get me practical gifts, although to be fair, I did ask for these two. One birthday he got me a cast iron skillet. Last Christmas, he got me a scale. The sales girl thought it was just terrible and tried to talk him out of it, but he kept telling her it was what I asked for. Fortunately, my DDs were there to back him up. Poor guy. ;o
    Old 11-23-2011, 11:01 AM

LOL....Warmers! I made them but I put little eyes and arms on them and called them P-puppet....Make it wave!....LOL
    Old 11-23-2011, 12:24 PM

I don't recall any getting or giving of unusual gifts myself but my very best friend got a manure spreader from her dad for her 16th birthday. NO JOKE!
    Old 11-23-2011, 05:31 PM

"Well... er... um... I must confess. I was invited to a birthday party, and I was told to bring a prank gift. It never occurred to me that the prank gift should be age-related, since the birthday girl was only 35. So, I went to - ahem - a marital-aid kind of store and purchased a certain leather item. I was just mortified when everyone else brought Geritol, Depends, and Metamucil. "

I had to laugh - I went to a "divorce" shower once, and I took an item from the same type of store - problem was, everyone else was giving her items as if it was a bridal shower such as new sheets, wine glasses, etc. Fortunately everyone had a sense of humor and some kind of slapped their foreheads in a "shoulda had a V8" reaction!

Last edited by lynnegreen; 11-23-2011 at 05:33 PM. Reason: left out the comment mine referred to
    Old 11-23-2011, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by leatheflea
    LOL....Warmers! I made them but I put little eyes and arms on them and called them P-puppet....Make it wave!....LOL
    I almost choked myself laughing!!!!!
    Old 11-21-2014, 11:33 PM

Happy Birthday, Miriam! The first year my husband and I were dating on my birthday, was the year of the Kansas Centennial (1961). He gave me a Silver Kansas Centennial emblem with a birthday card that read: "I was going to get you a real classic, distinctive gift, but I was short 1143 green stamps! I still have that card somewhere, but the Kansas Centennial Emblem was stolen by 10-12-year old kids who broke into our house about 35 years later! I really wanted to use a hickory switch or a leather belt on their little backsides at the time, but not sure that would do any good at all! Next year, I'll hit the "70's" decade!

Jeanette
    Old 11-22-2014, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by leatheflea
    lol....warmers! I made them but i put little eyes and arms on them and called them p-puppet....make it wave!....lol
    roflmao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Old 11-22-2014, 12:53 PM

I see this old thread has been revived.... I actually have another gift to add to the list!

I gave my 76-year-old MIL - who is an absolute HOOT - an ironing board cover one year for Christmas. This was no ordinary ironing board cover. It had a picture of a very attractive and hunky man on it. The man is laying on his side with a towel strategically covering his fig-leaf area. When you use the iron, the heat makes the towel disappear, and this particular dude is very well endowed, and well on his way to being happy to see you. My MIL loved it and showed it off to all of her friends, who then wanted one for themselves. I ended up ordering a case of these ironing board covers and shipping them to her to hand out to her friends. It makes me giggle, thinking of all these little white-haired old ladies, ironing their "manly" board covers all afternoon....
    Old 11-22-2014, 01:28 PM

I thought I didn't have a "weird gift" in my background, but in reading through this, I do remember one. When DH and I got married (he was a SSgt in the AF) and we went to pick out my diamond, we settled on 1/2 C diamond, and for years and years I would say "Is this the year of the perfect l full Carat"--and one year he really came through with a doozy--a beautifully gift wrapped present and he handed it to me with the big eyes meaning this one was special. It was special allright--One perfect Carrot, wrapped and tied with a beautiful bow.

But, for all who are wondering, for my 70th, he came through with the 1 perfect Carat, and I love it. It hasn't been off my finger since he placed it on me at a fabulous birthday party with all our loved ones present.