Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • What is the most unusual gift you have ever gotten/ given? >
  • What is the most unusual gift you have ever gotten/ given?

• What is the most unusual gift you have ever gotten/ given?

Old 11-22-2016, 06:50 AM

I have to say love my husband first. He was a package car UPS driver & later time for shopping UPS trucker meaning little time for shopping. Then came walmart 24 hours open. So he got to where I guess a game and something to talk about he would go to walmart on Christmas Eve. It was something he was proud about. Then my presents very bad super flowered house cotton coat snapped up in a 3X, I was a large at the time. Then socks that were too large also. I did the best I could and you can take it up right. I buy my own presents now christmas and Birthday from that day. I just wish I had pictures of my face and kids faces, Dad you really messed up. I always get what I want now as I buy it and say you bought my present and it cost. This year I will get a sewing present. Presents come and go Husbands are for life.
    I knew this before we were married per a few christmas and birthdays gifts. Now for the 42 years of marriage, I have been buying my presents for over 30 years. It is all good.
    Old 11-22-2016, 07:06 AM

Ok sorry I am here again but the peter warmer you called them, reminded me of a white elephant gift exchange
    a green velvet fig leaf. You pick a number and that is your gift. Ok I got the fig leaf with a ribbon to tie it on. That was a surprise for everyone at a bible study Christmas party, then it was from our assistant Pastor. It was explained as from the Bible. They still talk about it and laugh. I should let you know it was 40 years ago, things were a little different then, I think.

Last edited by sherian; 11-22-2016 at 07:14 AM.
    Old 11-22-2016, 07:12 AM

Happy Happy b day!
    Old 11-22-2016, 07:39 AM
    Power Poster

Happy Birthday! Hope you get good memories from the day!
    Old 11-22-2016, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by lynnegreen
    My ex-husband gave me a toilet paper roll holder one year (the kind that you can stack a few rolls on that sits on the floor). Another year he gave me a bright, and I mean bright, orange puffy jacket - we live in Los Angeles, first we don't need puffy coats and second I looked like a Cal Trans (the fellas that work on the freeways) worker. Did I mention he is an ex????????
    I don't know if this beats you or not, lynnegreen, but for our 10th wedding anniversary my husband bought me a belt sander. True story! LOL
    Old 11-22-2016, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by lynnie
    when I was 12 I went out with a boy Andrew. Looking back now, this was probably the most romantic thing anyone has ever done for me. I asked for purple snow. on Christmas morning about 9 am. he came and knocked on my door. I went outside and the whole front lawn was purple. he had spray painted with a water bottle of purple dye, the front lawn.It was the prettiest sight. for days people commented on my front lawn.

No one could top that. I bet his wife is always surprised by him. Lets hope he's still that romantic.
    Lynnie that really IS romantic. And at such a young age? That trait is all the way down to his bones, I bet. One lucky wife I'm guessing
    Old 11-22-2016, 08:17 AM
    Power Poster

It actually hurts to recall the bad gifts hubby gave me. He's just not good at picking gifts for me, so after some disasters he has given up. Which is fine! I buy what I want.

One year he bought me a rifle. He is the gun collector and apparently it was one he just couldn't pass up. But trying to justify the purchase by making it a gift for me merely insulted me. Since it was mine, I sold it! I think that killed him.

The latest painful gift was a few years ago. We had a pretty light fixture in our bathroom that I had chosen when we built the house. He thought I needed more light to put on my makeup, so he gifted me with one of those ugly gold light bars that has the round ball lights... five blinding light bulbs! Within minutes of my opening my gift, he had the old fixture down and the light bar installed. Didn't even ask me if I wanted that thing in my bathroom. I really need to stop resenting him for that. He was trying to do something nice for me. He has given me some nice gifts... one Christmas he built me a new dining room table. That was a big effort and we used that table for years. And once he bought me a new saddle for my horse. It's just the bad gifts are what stand out in your memory! I love him anyway...
    Old 11-22-2016, 03:37 PM
    Power Poster

One thing i was thinking about today. i feel i 'trained' my son well for any future girlfriends or a wife. He aknows all about jewelry (I sold it for years and years) and he has even borugth me some very nice things. At 4, he figured out he could get away cheap for the rest of his life if he bought me a charm bracelet. then he just bought me about 38 charms before i started loosing them, it was so heavy.He listens when people talk, and he gets the most unusual gifts that you will love.
    Last year, I was looking for the winter and summer guys from a christmas without a santa claus. It was on e-bay for $78.00. I told him i saw it on e bay. He said yes, I got threre for you. HOW SWEET!!!!
    Old 11-22-2016, 06:05 PM

My husband built a darkroom as a surprise for me. I was working on my BA in photography at the time. He built it in the front-most room of our basement, where I never went. All our family and friends knew what he was doing, but no one spilled the beans. The next week we went to a large camera store downtown and I was able to choose all the goodies and extras that I wanted. He was always right on in his gifts to me. One year I got a carousel horse, another year, a doll house. He was very thoughtful the same way with our daughters also.
    Old 11-22-2016, 06:46 PM

At a Holiday gift exchange at the school I used to work at, a friend gave me the leg from a live turkey they had a Thanksgiving--the part was that part of the leg that you never see--the scaley yellow part with a claw! You could pull the tendon and the claw would flex! Pretty gross but kind of neat too.