what she said... too cute!

Old 12-25-2011, 11:47 AM

Merry Christmas too! And thank you for the smiles and laughs! My Mom's side of the family is all southerners so I truly identify! We grandkids LOVED it when my grandmother would shout goodbye as: "Yall come back now! Ya hear?!" We all picked up a love of fruitcake and sweet tea too. And RC Cola! (well... at least Grandma's fruitcake... she soaked real homeade dried fruit for weeks in brandy and used real butter in her fruitcake.)

You have very sweet granddaughters!

Last edited by BuzzinBumble; 12-25-2011 at 11:49 AM.
Old 12-25-2011, 01:45 PM

I really got a chuckle out this story and I'm from Mississippi!!
Old 12-25-2011, 02:28 PM

Well, I'm not big on fruit cake, but LOVE that sweet tea! Thanks for sharing your story with us.
Old 12-25-2011, 05:47 PM

I am a city girl from the midwest, transplanted to Texas and I still don't like black eyed peas! My boyfriend is a country boy and adores them.

I love the story of why McD's now has sweet tea! Kids say the darnest things.
Old 12-25-2011, 08:35 PM

My DH went to Vermont a few years ago and when his group would eat out they would try to order sweet tea. They even tried to explain to the waitresses how it's made, but they never did get any. The whole group was so happy to get back to Tennessee mostly for some "real" tea! Lol
Old 12-27-2011, 09:22 AM

I get that, too. Since I was Texas born and raised I really don't sound like these mid-westerners. I really do love fruitcake, too. In Texas we had "Mary of Puddin' Hill"...simply delicious. She was kind enough to share her recipe when she heard I was leaving the state! I also have my great-grandmothers' recipe which is much harder to make and also really good...
Old 12-28-2011, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by tate_elliott
My wife is the opposite of you, thevintageseamstress. She was born in Indiana and moved to North Carolina when she was six years old. She thinks that I've corrupted our children because they speak with a Southern accent! I think she thought that they would inherit her accent.

Now I'm going to tell you something that you probably won't believe. In the entire time she's lived here, she's NEVER eaten a black-eyed pea. I've tried and tried, but she just won't eat one. I can understand not wanting to try turnip greens, but black-eyed peas? Oh well, at least I've gotten her to like North Carolina style barbeque.

Tate
My dad used to tell everyone about when I was a baby and cried all the time, my mom gave me the broth off of black eyed peas and I stopped crying,drs now would have a hissy fit, but I must have liked it. I tell everyone I have southern roots as both parents were from the south, I would love to hear your accent ,don't ever lose it