Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • what triggers your HA/migraines? >
  • what triggers your HA/migraines?

• what triggers your HA/migraines?

Old 05-11-2011, 06:32 PM

I am 67 and still have migraines and use generic Imitrex and Maxalt plus Tenormin to "prevent them" What triggers mine? who knows? weather changes, stress, not sleeping well. Had a complete workup by neurologist who specialty is headaches and even tried Botox which helped one out of three times. At least I don't get sick and throw up like I use to and haven't had to have an injection since starting the Tenormin (atenolol). Sometimes I use 1/2 a chewable dramamine if I feel nauseated.
    Old 05-11-2011, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by sgraves1959
    Originally Posted by greenini
    not so sure about triggers, but once they start we love Maxalt...stops those suckers dead, even right in the middle of an aura. both of us get them on occasion, dh more then me.
    What is Maxalt and where do you get it, prescription or over the counter. My daughter has terrible migraines and has for years. Thanks
    Prescription is what you need for Maxalt.
    Old 05-12-2011, 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by DA Mayer
    I have a real sensitivity to smells, perfumes, lotions, cleaning products. Sometimes I feel nauseated, other times the pain starts and other times I have visual changes or see lights flashing- if the light is red it is going to be a doozy. Just curious about yours.
    Many things can trigger migraines. I have many triggers: weather changes, not getting enough sleep, hormonal inbalance (not a problem anymore) florecent lights at work (had the ones over my desk removed), sometimes if a sinus headache gets to bad it will trigger one. If you are having several migraines a month 6 to 7, I would get a referral to a neurologist. It was the best thing I did. They were so bad at one point that I was having about 6 a week. I currently use maxal 10 mg that dissolves under the tongue and work fairly quickly. I also resently went back on nortriptyline 100 mg to help prevent getting migraines that I take every evening. Since I went back on it about 2 months ago I have not had a single migraine. The past year before that I had to go to the hospital at least once a month because it would get so bad and nothing would work. I would also recommend that each time you get one to write down what you were doing prior to getting one, what you had eaten up to that point. Also what the weather is like as opposed to the day before, or if there was a sudden weather change that day. It will help you figure out what triggers you and help you avoid them. It will also be helpful for your doctor also. Good luck to you,

Robyn

p.s. feel free to pm if you have any questions or if I can help you in any way.
    Old 05-13-2011, 08:15 AM

I have just not been able to figure out all the things that trigger my migraines - they sure suck, though!!! Extreme heat is one thing - getting off the plane in tropical climates has been a trigger for me but other times, who knows. I have 2 in 2 days and then have a few days off before getting another set of 2. Maxalt MLT (MLT means the pill melts in your mouth) really works well for me but I use others, too, so I do not become immune to any particular pill.
    I really, really hate my migraines, though. I used to be in absolute misery - eyes covered, ears covered, couldn't move - then 8 hours later I'd vomit and 20 minutes after that I was fine. Now after taking 1 pill, I'm fine in 46 minutes!! Thank goodness for science.
    Old 05-13-2011, 08:47 AM

This may sound crazy, but if I sleep too late!! The day is ruined! But an elderly lady gave me a receipe that works for me about 75% of the time. She told me that when I felt the migraine coming to get a Gatorade and take 3 Exedrin PM. She said the rush of caffine would open the vessels in my head and help ease the migraine. Works about 75% of the time. Now, I no longer have to take the RX shots for them.
    Old 05-16-2011, 01:01 PM

The artificial sugars and diet sodas trigger mine if I have them too many days in a row.