Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • what triggers your HA/migraines? >
  • what triggers your HA/migraines?

• what triggers your HA/migraines?

Old 05-09-2011, 04:24 PM

My migraines began after a car accident; I have severe memory damage. Since the age of 16, I have had a headache every day of my life....migraines that last 4 hours if caught early enough and some that last days. If I keep everything fairly quiet and totally without stress they occur less often.

A doctor informed me to ovoid all processed foods because of the MSG and other additives. It has helped a lot eating fresh homemade food. Avoiding alcohol and pop really helps.

Any prolonged amount of bright lights/shunshine is a real terrible trigger also. I absolutely love to spend hours outside in the sun....now I try to wear a big floppy hat and sunglasses. Another trigger is traveling, probablly from the stress and climate changes combined.

Because my migraines hit the same area of the brain damage, I have blackouts, seizures and totally loose my memory of events going on during these times. I do not feel sorry for myself just my family and friends who have to deal with all of this.

Sorry, I am beginning to carry on. Thanks for letting me share.
    Old 05-09-2011, 04:25 PM

Ramona, sounds awful! I used to get hem when I was much younger, now my kids get them. Sorry guys! I remember once having to call my mom asked her to come and pick up the baby, I couldn't take care of him.
    Old 05-09-2011, 05:06 PM
    Power Poster

I've had Occular/visual Migraines. no pain, just can't see.
    one Eye Doctor told me one was caused by nitrates in a sausage sandwich i had eaten. could be...
    my Son has vasovagol syncope (becomes faint easily) and he's a guard at a prison!
    Old 05-09-2011, 05:51 PM

Stress, bright sunlight and barometric pressure changes. Had one for 3 days before I went to emergency room. They gave me a shot, left me in dark room for almost 2 hours. Came back and asked me how I felt. I told them the shot just 'took the edge off'. They asked if I could find a ride home. Gave me another different shot. An hour later they came back, I was still awake. They did a CAT scan checking for a brain aneurysm. Came back negative, they released me and I drove myself home. Worse pain I'd ever had in a migraine.
    Old 05-09-2011, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Shelbie
    I had terrible migraines until I went on thyroid medication. I haven't had one since. My doctor says they shouldn't be related but I didn't change anything else. I recommend getting your thyroid checked. It could be an easy and cheap permanent fix.
    Mine have gotten 10x worse since having my thyroid removed/going on thyroid medicine.

=( I think I'm wired backwards. lol

my trigger is stress. but i get a specific headache the day before a migrane, and i can usually caffiene/imitrex the migraine away.
    Old 05-09-2011, 06:33 PM

stress; if I go to long without eating; odors, esp. chemicals like in a laboratory; alcohol; too much sun. My auras is lights and a stabbing pain in my right eye like some one is poking me in the eye. When I first started getting migraines they came on sudden with the worst headache I had ever had in my entire life. Then I had a headache ever day for 9 months before the docs found the right meds and right dose to get them under control. Meanwhile I thought I was going to go out of my mind.
    Old 05-09-2011, 07:56 PM

And even now I have to know in advance what I need or want in the soap and washing isle at the grocery store, because the odors of all that stuff really does start my head getting tight, and breakfast starts wanting to come up and see what is happening.

Fast in, grab and stroll real fast out again and go to the veggie section where the odors aren't very strong. I usually stay on the sides of stores like that. The inside isles are where the strong odors live.
    Old 05-09-2011, 08:20 PM

Instants for me are:
    Polo Cologne. one whiff and off I go to the bathroom QUICK!
    Any artificial sweetner. Sharp, blinding thud in top right of head.
    Wine. Sharp Cheese, blooming privit hedge, liquid smoke. caffine, to much sugar, brings the flashing lights, tunnel vision and headache, dizziness. nausea.
    I have learned to do bio-feed back "I take a loonngg walk on the beach at Tybee Island in a COLD, Dark room." Any noise sounds like jackhammers.
    My chiropractor also told me that my neck vertebra get out of whack causing my sinus cavities to not drain properly (more presssure)and also not letting blood circulate thru the veins in the back of my neck. I thought he was full of crap until he popped my neck one day when I had a headache and double vision. My nose started running profusely, the double vision disappeared and so did my headache.
    I would rather see him than have to visit the emergency room to be knocked out on Demerol and Phenergan (sp). I have a very low tolorance to drugs so I can't even fuction on Emitrex.
    Old 05-09-2011, 08:24 PM

Estrogen drop related to menstruation, excessive glare over a long period of time, and eating too much sugar without balancing it with protein and fat.
    Old 05-09-2011, 08:49 PM

Red wine and sunlight flash do it for me. I wear sunglasses more in the winter because sunlight on the snow is dynamite for me. At first onset, I try to take a liquid gel Advil as soon as possible and about 20 minutes later I seem to be okay, if not, I take another Advil.