Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • what triggers your HA/migraines? >
  • what triggers your HA/migraines?

• what triggers your HA/migraines?

Old 05-10-2011, 05:32 AM

Barametric pressure-when the weather changes in the fall and spring especially when you have a 80 degree day and then a 35 degree day-those absolutely wipe me out.

Other triggers-strong perfumes, super bright lights/sun glare or stobe type lights, bacon/pepporoni/sausage-you know all those foods that make life worth living. <joking>
    Old 05-10-2011, 05:43 AM

Loud bass music! Especially vehicles blaring the music from 1/4 mile away until the drivers make sure to drive straight down several blocks toward our house and then turns the corner. Slowly drives away. It is as if they all know I live here....
    Smells. Just bought a new vehicle 3 months ago and have not been in it very much. Wouldnt let them spray anything in it or clean it before we picked it up.
    Sulfites from buffets. Don't go near them anymore.
    Fantastic spray cleaner. OMG! Cant be near the stuff!
    Bright lights and the heat of summer.
    Absolute worst for my migraines was going through perimenopause and menopause. Had to have hyster as so many unfortunate problems gong through it. One of the worst side effects was the migraines. Dang hormones.... Have been greatly relieved since the surgery.
    I tried many meds. The best reliever for me was Excederin Migraine. I feel that slight pain behind my eye, take a pill immediately, and do not have the painful 1-2 days-long troubles anymore.
    Hang in there everyone-get tested if they are debilitating.
    Old 05-10-2011, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by Nita
    Although I've had a long history of being plagued by headaches, my first real Migraine headache occurred a couple of years ago. Scared the living daylights out of me, since I lost vision in one eye without experiencing any pain ...... Although I'm a nurse, I had no idea that a Migraine could be visual/ocular without any pain associated with it. Unfortunately, my migraines have now progressed to the type that is followed by pain, nausea & vomiting and I need to go straight to bed. The aura I get is strobe lights in my peripheral field of vision .... Really weird, like back in the day (early 70's) when DH and I were young and went to dance/disco with the strobe lights. Have not been able to ID the triggers, but seems to be stress and lack of sleep. (Luckily, neither red wine or chocolat seem to be the culprit!) My MD gave me an Rx for low dose Imitrex, but I have not tried using it yet. To be honest, the list of side effects scares me! Is anyone on this medication? Does it work?
    I am a nurse also and my first migraine happened when I was shaving my legs. I could not see anything in the center of my vision. I couldn't see my legs, only my feet. I laid in my bed but I could only see the ceiling and floor. I was getting ready for work and I had 3 young children to take care of, and I thought I was having a stroke. When my sight came back I thought, oh good I am fine and then my head felt like it hat flames coming from it, and the worst pain I had ever had. Needless to say, I couldn't go to work and I can't remember what happened to the kids.
    Lights can also trigger mine. I had one when I was having an eye exam and the Dr. shined the light in my eye.
    I start with Excedrine Migraine and Mt Dew and Imitrex. Then I lie down with a pillow over my head, Ice makes the headache worse.
    Old 05-10-2011, 05:53 AM

Also triggered by raw onions, cheese, bacon, or cured meats. My remedy is magnesium from the Dollar Store. Since I started taking one a day, I have not had a single debilitating headache! Knock on wood!
    Old 05-10-2011, 06:02 AM

I have reasd all these posts and many of them are so familiar. Anything in a spray form has the tendency to trigger mine along with weather, stress, loud noise, bright sun, some foods and I also have asthma which I have to be very careful of smells and cigarette smoke is the worst triggerd. Just the smell of it on someone triggers my allergies. I must watch all the allery and sinus headaches because they turn into migraines quickly. A few weeks ago the doc gave me cortisone in the back of my head because I had suffered from a headach for 3 weeks. While it was not a migraine it was very irritating. When I see the lightening flashes going off in my head I had better take care of it right away. I too believe it is family related.
    Old 05-10-2011, 06:03 AM

Any liquor, beer, cheese, lunch meats, oranges or bananas. SSTREESS. Maxalt a lifesaver - never leave home without it.
    Old 05-10-2011, 06:11 AM

The smell of fireplaces in the winter. And also, even if I get a migraine in the summertime, I still smell that particular smell--and not a fireplace in sight. In MN, there are lots of firepits and fires in the summer, so that's a problem also.
    Old 05-10-2011, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by Diana Lynne
    Originally Posted by DA Mayer
    I have a real sensitivity to smells, perfumes, lotions, cleaning products. Sometimes I feel nauseated, other times the pain starts and other times I have visual changes or see lights flashing- if the light is red it is going to be a doozy. Just curious about yours.
    Not enough sleep and stress..But my headaches are the cluster ones where they start in the back of the neck and move up..
    Same here and those cluster headaches are no fun.
    Old 05-10-2011, 07:36 AM

Perfumes and men who use too much cologne send me for the medication.
    Old 05-10-2011, 08:47 AM

The sun. It's why we moved to Northeastern NY from the sunny south.