Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • What To Use On Dogs Hot Spots >
  • What To Use On Dogs Hot Spots

• What To Use On Dogs Hot Spots

Old 06-27-2010, 08:49 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by lab fairy
    WD-40 is not an insecticide or a wound spray. Please don't use it on a open wound or breathe in a lot of the fumes. Before you use anything like that you should know exactly what it is and its uses.

Any time your pet is licking at something and making it worse it introduces more microbes. Talk to your vet to make sure there is not another cause for the "hot spots" because things happen that we don't always know about. I had a cat bitten by a brown recluse spider and thought the poor thing had just been scratched on something during the day. After two days, it was gross. We actually had to surgically remove all affected tissues and close the wound. It looked small from the outside but the damage on the inside was huge. He never fully recovered from that.
    That happened to my aunt, too. Well, she didn't lick her abdomen, but she had to have the affected tissue removed after being bitten (she thinks) by a brown recluse spider.
    Old 06-27-2010, 10:44 AM

I have heard about people using WD-40 also - but what I understand is the chemical in WD-40 allows it to soak into your skin - for instance if you had a home remedy or cream you would rub it on and then apply the WD-40 and it would penetrate the tissues. Kind of works like a medicated patch. I don't know if its true - just what I heard.
    Old 06-27-2010, 11:39 AM

WD-40 does not contain DMSO. It contains kerosene and hexane. Both are flamable and neither are very good for you. DMSO is what you are describing and it is a whole different solvent. I deal with solvents every day (this is the kind of thing was covered in my toxicology classes). Please don't use something in a purpose that it isn't actually meant for. Especially something that can affect your or your pets personal health.
    Old 06-27-2010, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by marsye
    Thanks for the replies. He only gets this in the summer when it gets really hot and humid so its not his food I don't think.

what about some lidocain (sp) spray..helps to cool and the itching,i think it has a numbing agent in it too..(for kids) to use on your poor baby.

i would try changing to the chicken and rice food too. she makes a week or two at a time, and freezes it in the seal a meal thing.
    Old 06-27-2010, 11:58 AM

Sorry your dog is uncomfortable, Marsye. I hope you find something that works. I don't have a dog, but I have a cat. She has not had any hot spots yet, and I hope she never does.
    Old 06-27-2010, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by lab fairy
    WD-40 does not contain DMSO. It contains kerosene and hexane. Both are flamable and neither are very good for you. DMSO is what you are describing and it is a whole different solvent. I deal with solvents every day (this is the kind of thing was covered in my toxicology classes). Please don't use something in a purpose that it isn't actually meant for. Especially something that can affect your or your pets personal health.
    And DMSO leaves a horrible garlic taste in your mouth for awhile. We in the horse world use it for lameness and wear rubber or latex gloves to apply it.
    My dog is having hot spots this year too. I will try the medicated powder.
    Old 06-27-2010, 12:42 PM

I forgot about the garlic flavor. I always glove up these days. After you lose a few fingerprints you finally learn your lesson. :)
    Old 06-27-2010, 12:49 PM

I washed my first dog with an oatmeal based shampoo. when he dried i used gold bond medicated powder. that soothed him. also cutting the hair near where he is scratchin helps it dry up. at night I would wash off all that i did for him that day and let him sleep that way. then just applied the gold bond for the day. good luck
    Old 06-27-2010, 01:14 PM

Malamutes are prone to get hotspots in humid weather. Our female has hade several. After sev. trips to the Vet & many $$$ not working, we were told on a Malamute forum to use diluted peroxide to clean it...let it dry or blot it dry...then coat it well with the Gold Bond Powder. After a couple days of this, it cleared up. Oh & we did trim the hair aay from the spot. Much much better & faster acting than the Vet's meds. I swear by Gold Bond Powder! Won't catch this home without it.
    Old 06-27-2010, 01:30 PM
    Banned

Thanks for the replies. I just got back from the store where I got some Gold Bond to try. I wonder now if there is something that will prevent this from happening again?