What would you do?

Old 06-13-2011, 06:30 AM
Power Poster

I actually like inadvertent mistakes like that. Makes the quilt more charming. Always gives the "finder" a thrill too, although many people who look at a quilt will not spot it. If it had been me, I would have left the block as is too and it would not have been any kind of put-down for the maker.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:35 AM

I love all my exchange blocks and would never change one. It's fun to see all the different interpretations of the same pattern. Exchange quilts are like the ultimate sampler platter.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:40 AM

i would never correct some ones work in a block exchange.

i think that would insulting to the person who made it - its like saying your work isn't good enough and i had to take it apart and make it again.

if you want perfection do not do a swap.

swaps are open to all skill levels and various quality of fabrics from walmart to LQS.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:44 AM
Power Poster

This is difficult, because she may have felt that it would hurt your feelings if she changed your block. Just a thought....
Old 06-13-2011, 07:52 AM

what a great way to put it. thank you for saying it. I know this is how I feel about quilting.
Originally Posted by Amythyst02
Well you could always look at it this way, perhaps yours was right and the rest were wrong. I would not have corrected it either. Honestly who is to say what is right or wrong ... I always thought that quilts were done with each persons imagination. Mine may not be like yours or yours like mine, but thats ok, cause we are all different. That is what makes quilting so special!!
Old 06-13-2011, 07:53 AM

Thank you for saying this.
Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
i would never correct some ones work in a block exchange.

i think that would insulting to the person who made it - its like saying your work isn't good enough and i had to take it apart and make it again.

if you want perfection do not do a swap.

swaps are open to all skill levels and various quality of fabrics from walmart to LQS.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
i would have left it that way. goodness knows that i have made so many quilts with so many mistakes that i hardly qualify to correct any mistakes made by others :)
Amen to that!!
Old 06-13-2011, 08:54 AM

I would also leave it the way it was made.
Old 06-13-2011, 01:09 PM

After reading responses, I'd like to add. If I received this block, I'd let the maker know since it was obviously an error. By not knowing and seeing it posted on the club page, I really felt bad about it. I wish she'd either contacted me or changed it. I would never have known if she did.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:47 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Grammashel
After reading responses, I'd like to add. If I received this block, I'd let the maker know since it was obviously an error. By not knowing and seeing it posted on the club page, I really felt bad about it. I wish she'd either contacted me or changed it. I would never have known if she did.
that would be a very risky action. no matter how well you meant the gesture, there can be no way to predict how it would be interpreted. some people might thanks you. some might dissolve in humiliation. others might cuss you out.

she was proudly displaying your block exactly as you sent it. if she had seen anything wrong with it, or felt is was in any way substandard she would have simply "forgotten" to include it in the photo.

chillaaaaaaax. it's all good. ;-)