Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • What would you have done in this situation >
  • What would you have done in this situation

• What would you have done in this situation

Old 04-05-2011, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
    I recently had a friend get way way behind on her house payments. She was telling me about it and did not ask me for money. I talked to DH and we loaned her a few grand to help her get caught back up a little.
    --------------------
    (I really hope that you got paid back. And that you had her sign legal papers before handing over a check. Lots of folks would take the check and move to another state.

And the lady with the cats, she sounds like she must have paid for plane tickets with the utility bill money. She must love her step daughter to do this.[/quote])

No, I trust her. She's still around and will try to pay me back when she can. She was hoping to be able to do that with her tax return but did not get near as much back as she thought.
    If I don't get paid back, that's "ok" too. I helped a good friend and would do it again.
    Old 04-05-2011, 03:43 PM

We would have paid the bill - too late for them to do anything tonight once they get home. You gotta go what is in your heart. We've never requested legal signing to help out and we've always been paid back...maybe several years later but it happened.
    Old 04-05-2011, 04:40 PM

My utility company has writing on every bill saying if payment is not sent by due date power will be turned off, no notice is given ahead of time. It's very possible she just made an error in her bill paying. It was nice of you to e-mail her a heads up, I don't think you should do anything further.
    Old 04-05-2011, 04:53 PM

I am sure she is embarrassed by the situation, I would remove all the items from the freezer and fridge, and put them in mine if I had the room, so they will not lose their food. I do not believe in loaning anyone money, if you have the money to give to them, and that is what you wish to do then do it. Loaning friends or family money makes the backyard BBQ's a bit awkward.
    Old 04-05-2011, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by IrelandDragonQuilting
    I am sure she is embarrassed by the situation, I would remove all the items from the freezer and fridge, and put them in mine if I had the room, so they will not lose their food. I do not believe in loaning anyone money, if you have the money to give to them, and that is what you wish to do then do it. Loaning friends or family money makes the backyard BBQ's a bit awkward.
    yea I would do that with the freezer food. Leave a note and offer if it is cold to take the kids overnight. She will be embarrassed, but she will either tell you about it or not. You can make a judgement call then.
    Old 04-05-2011, 05:36 PM

I agree with others, you did the right thing by telling her. I know if I was in that situation and came home to no power I would have been so upset that my friend hadn't even told me! I would be embarrassed for sure but atleast would have had prior knowledge as to what I was coming home to.
    As far as it getting turned off, here in OKC it will be shut off if not paid in the 7 days following the due date. Doesn't matter how little or how much is owed either. I think you are a very good friend and I commend you telling her, no matter how awkward it was to do that.
    Old 04-05-2011, 06:50 PM

I would wait for her to get home, you have let her know, it's her problem. This may sound mean, but it's not for you to pay her bills, maybe it was just an oversight on her part, but she needs to take care of it, not you.
    Old 04-05-2011, 06:53 PM

I agree with moving the fridge and freezer stuff if you have the room. You did contact her, so she is aware of the situation. Believe me (been there done that) the minute money passes between family or friends it changes everything. Never again for me. I'll help in anyway I can, but no money will pass between anyone again.
    Old 04-05-2011, 07:05 PM

I have to disagree with everyone else here.

You definitely did right to notify her. But I say, if you're willing to pay to have her electricity turned back on, I would. Just let her know you took care of it and she can pay you back whenever she's able to. I'd pay the minimum amount you can get by with paying, not the total amount she owes.

Either way, she's going to be embarrassed that you know her power went out. At least this way, she won't have to cope with not having heat or light, with spoiled food, etc.

As for her not answering, she may have her phone off for the funeral, or perhaps her cell phone account got turned off, too. What I mean is, she may not have received your text or may be unable to answer.
    Old 04-06-2011, 01:51 AM

I finally talked to my friend with all the funeral planning she had to do before they left she thought she had paid the bill she got it all taken care of lights on when they got home. Thank you all for your help I am the type of person that wants to help everyone out I just didn't think without talking to her that it was my job you all helped me realize this!