Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • What would you have done in this situation >
  • What would you have done in this situation

• What would you have done in this situation

Old 04-06-2011, 07:17 AM

I am glad it all worked out. :D
    Old 04-06-2011, 08:15 AM

If I could afford it I would pay the bill but only if you didn't have to worry about it being paid back.
    Old 04-06-2011, 08:16 AM

Glad to hear that it was all worked out!!!
    Old 04-06-2011, 08:25 AM

Maybe you could call the electric co and tell them they are out of town for a funeral and could the power be put back on for a couple more days until they can get it paid? Maybe the power co has some compassion. If it was cut off though the payments are probably a couple months behind. I guess wait for her to contact you. Put some candles out for her and maybe a flashlight or 2 so when she gets home she will have some light. Take care.
    Linda
    Old 04-06-2011, 12:22 PM

If you can pay the bill without expecting to be paid back then go for it...if you would need paid back you should wait to hear from her.

I just paid my daughters power bill with knowing I won't be paid back. She doesn't know why they didn't cut her off but she finally called and was told the bill had been paid. She thinks one of the local agencies paid it for her. That's ok because I have the peace of mind of knowing my grandson won't lose his computer!
    Old 04-06-2011, 02:51 PM

i have one rule when i loan money to someone--i never lend more than i can afford to lose. in this way, i never stress over it. if i get paid back, it's a lovely surprise. if i don't, no problem.
    Old 04-06-2011, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
    Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
    I recently had a friend get way way behind on her house payments. She was telling me about it and did not ask me for money. I talked to DH and we loaned her a few grand to help her get caught back up a little.
    --------------------
    (I really hope that you got paid back. And that you had her sign legal papers before handing over a check. Lots of folks would take the check and move to another state.

And the lady with the cats, she sounds like she must have paid for plane tickets with the utility bill money. She must love her step daughter to do this.
    )

No, I trust her. She's still around and will try to pay me back when she can. She was hoping to be able to do that with her tax return but did not get near as much back as she thought.
    If I don't get paid back, that's "ok" too. I helped a good friend and would do it again.[/quote]
    You're my kind of gal. When I loan money,in my mind it's a gift and it I get it back, it's great and if I don't, I don't. I usually say, pass this on sometime when you see someone who needs a little help. That way there isn't any awkwardness if they can't get the money back to me.
    Old 04-06-2011, 05:18 PM

Your lights don't get shut off because you are late with ONE bill. There is a few late bills there with probably a hefty balance. Most states use April 1st as a deadline to be caught up, you get shut off notices before they turn off the power. More than likely shut off notices have been ignored.
    Old 04-06-2011, 06:29 PM

That use to be the case but not anymore...or at least not everywhere. My electic bill is due around the 1st of each month. When my mom got sick last November I went to TX. Long story short, she passed away on the December 5th and I came home is shock. I just lost my dad in July. On December 16th, they pulled up and turned off our electric! I was shocked!! Granted I was 2 weeks late on the payment but geez. I offered to pay it on the spot and he said he wasn't allowed to take the payment; that I'd have to call the 1-800 number, etc.
    In answer to your question, I agree with everyone else. You texted and that's all you can really do until she gets back to you. Good luck!

Originally Posted by watterstide
    you did the right thing..she knows, and it is in her hands.

For the utilities to be shut off..they would have to be more than a few months behind.
    Old 04-06-2011, 09:10 PM

We all have hard times. I tell my kids that the world can be difficult and the only thing that makes it worthwhile are the relationships that we carry with us. Even though I live in an affluent community in our lives we have been close to the last paycheck and also abundantly blessed. I would pay it, tell them to pay me back when they can and then not mention another word about it. To me it is a Pay It Forward.