Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • What would you have done in this situation >
  • What would you have done in this situation

• What would you have done in this situation

Old 04-05-2011, 03:21 PM

I am taking care of my friends cats while she takes her step daughter to Texas to attend her SD's moms funeral. Today there was a notice on their door and their power was shut off. I am at a loss as to what to do. they get home tonight so they will come home to no power. I have know her for 6 years and our kids are best friends. We have never asked or loaned money to each other but if they did ask we would in a minute. I texted her what happened I did not want her to talk about it in front of her family. She has yet to reply. Would you just pay the bill or let them take care of it when they get home. I know that this has to be embarrassing. But things happen and I am not sure how to handle it.
    Old 04-05-2011, 03:22 PM

I would wait for her to call me back.
    Old 04-05-2011, 03:23 PM

I guess it would depend on how close a friend she was. I would wait to hear back from her though.

I recently had a friend get way way behind on her house payments. She was telling me about it and did not ask me for money. I talked to DH and we loaned her a few grand to help her get caught back up a little.
    Old 04-05-2011, 03:23 PM

That's kind of a sticky situation. I think I would wait for her to contact you, but it could be too late for you to help if you wait.
    Old 04-05-2011, 03:24 PM
    Power Poster

I agree with Fidgety. As unpleasant as it is I wouldn't get involved in a solution w/o her consent.
    You did the right thing by texting her.
    Old 04-05-2011, 03:25 PM

you did the right thing..she knows, and it is in her hands.

For the utilities to be shut off..they would have to be more than a few months behind.
    Old 04-05-2011, 03:25 PM

I hope everything is okay. Maybe you'll be able to help them after they get home and you understand what the situation is.
    Old 04-05-2011, 03:33 PM

I recently had a friend get way way behind on her house payments. She was telling me about it and did not ask me for money. I talked to DH and we loaned her a few grand to help her get caught back up a little.[/quote]
    --------------------
    I really hope that you got paid back. And that you had her sign legal papers before handing over a check. Lots of folks would take the check and move to another state.

And the lady with the cats, she sounds like she must have paid for plane tickets with the utility bill money. She must love her step daughter to do this.
    Old 04-05-2011, 03:34 PM
    Banned

Originally Posted by watterstide
    you did the right thing..she knows, and it is in her hands.

For the utilities to be shut off..they would have to be more than a few months behind.
    Here if you are a few days late they shut your power off.

I would wait though. You have notified her and it is now up to her. They may have missed the payment date due to the death in the family. As long as nothing is going to freeze up on them, although everything in their freezer may be defrosted.
    Old 04-05-2011, 03:35 PM

Yes her bill was not enough to buy dinner honestly. Her SD is only 17 and my friend is an amazing mom to help her family I think it just slipped through the cracks. I feel so bad since they are coming home tonight to a cold dark house. These people are like my family.
    uGHHH!!! I just wish she would let me help! Thank you all for you help in this I really appreciate it. I will wait till they get home to see if maybe the kids can come over tonight or something.

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
    I recently had a friend get way way behind on her house payments. She was telling me about it and did not ask me for money. I talked to DH and we loaned her a few grand to help her get caught back up a little.
    --------------------
    I really hope that you got paid back. And that you had her sign legal papers before handing over a check. Lots of folks would take the check and move to another state.

And the lady with the cats, she sounds like she must have paid for plane tickets with the utility bill money. She must love her step daughter to do this.[/quote]