Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • What are you having for Christmas dinner? >
  • What are you having for Christmas dinner?

• What are you having for Christmas dinner?

Old 12-22-2014, 03:56 AM

We will be having Christmas on the 26th, but not at our house, so Christmas day menu will probably be beef and homemade noodles or if I don't feel up to that, whatever restaurant is open on that day.
    Old 12-22-2014, 04:03 AM

Our family gathers on Christmas Eve for a chili supper and family gift exchange. Christmas day those with children are in their own home, kids like to play with the new items. But, if you want a piece of pie or cake come on over, coffee is always on.
    Old 12-22-2014, 04:59 AM

Well lets see: My husband is going to make Smoked Wings, Ham and Sweet Potatoes, Jambalaya with Shrimp and Smoked Sausage, I am making 2 different kinds of Pie, Mixed Veggies, Corn Meal Muffins, Yeast rolls + family is going to bring Cheesy Potatoes and Pie, , Mom is bringing a Red and Green Jello and her Pecan Tarts, haven't heard yet what son# 1 or # 2 is bringing..besides family and appetites...
    and Pickled Beets, homemade Blackberry Jam and Apple butter....
    Old 12-22-2014, 05:05 AM

It all sounds so yummy. This year It will be a small group for Christmas at my house. I was going to grill some steaks but we had that last night. I was thinking of making shrimp. We rarely have that as it is so expensive here in the midwest. Now that all of you guys have me so hungry you need to go back and post the recipes. I would love to know how to make the chicken and sausage gumbo.
    Merry Christmas everyone.
    Old 12-22-2014, 06:49 AM

Yup, now I am pretty hungry!
    Old 12-22-2014, 07:24 AM

scandinavian traditions, at our house: lutefisk, lefse, swedish sausage, meatballs, ham (for the cowards), fresh baked rolls, potatoes with white sauce, and the southern sweden tradition of a blistering hot mustard to serve with the fish. there will be herring, pickled beets, cheeses, crackers, cranberries or lingonberries, and a big pot of rice pudding. a little eggnog on the side, and cookies and breads for dessert. smorgasbord!

Last edited by svenskaflicka1; 12-22-2014 at 07:27 AM.
    Old 12-22-2014, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by lynnie
    we're having a roast beast and mashed potatoes
    what's for desert, it's up in the air right now.
    makes me grin to see "roast beast"--we've called it that for years. nice to know we're not alone!!
    Old 12-22-2014, 07:32 AM
    RJ

Well, our tradition is untraditional....on Christmas Eve we eat Pizza and goodies---we all wear crazy flannel pajamas (yes the adults too) and we exchange gifts....Christmas day some of our family like to stay home---we have 2 daughters and hubbys with no kids coming over for lasagna..salad..garlic bread...cheesecake for dessert...I make it as easy on me as possible because it is my holiday too!!
    Old 12-22-2014, 07:48 AM

We are invited to a friends house for Christmas Eve dinner which will be an Italian dinner with Lasagne and Caesar Salad. Don't know what the dessert will be.

Then on Christmas day, we are invited to another friends house for dinner. I asked her what I can bring, and she said, "nothing. I'm getting take-out from a nice Chinese restaurant if it is open." I've never had Chinese for Christmas dinner, but will this year! Beats cooking!

For New Year's Day, I plan to bake a ham, prepare potato salad, baked beans, and the usual dishes that are supposed to bring good luck: black eyed peas with ham hock, steamed cabbage with bacon and onions in it. If we have guests, I may whip up a Banana Pudding from my Mother's recipe.

I just read several other foods listed to bring good luck in the new year include long noodles, pomegranates, greens, fish, 12 grapes, ring-shaped food (like a donut or bagel), pork, lentils.
    Old 12-22-2014, 08:02 AM
    Power Poster

Jim and I are having already cooked, already sliced yummy ham. The night before we are having Chinese food. Can hardly stand the wait.