Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • What are you having for dinner tonight? >
  • What are you having for dinner tonight?

• What are you having for dinner tonight?

Old 11-18-2013, 08:39 PM

I need a new meat loaf recipe, hubb's mother made the best, but I never got her recipe. please send some ok?
    Old 11-18-2013, 09:16 PM

We ended up slummin' it with bacon and cheese sandwiches plus steamed broccoli. I made a fresh loaf of bread today so it worked out perfectly (I don't usually have enough bread baked to make sandwiches for everyone).
    Old 11-19-2013, 05:24 AM
    Power Poster

Black eyed peas cooked with a ham bone (with lots of meat still on it!) and diced onions and celery. Made a great soup seasoned with Cajun! Very Southern....
    Old 11-19-2013, 05:41 AM

Cooking for one can be quite a challenge. I had something very similar for dinner last night except it was an enchilada casserole I had made with leftover chicken. Something like this:
    http://pinchofyum.com/chicken-enchilada-casserole
    I made it last week and froze the leftovers in individual servings. Found it last night when I was rummaging around in the freezer looking for something for dinner.
    Old 11-19-2013, 05:45 AM

Jan, if I wasn't vegan that would sound pretty good, actually, sounds like something I should make for hubby. Even though I am married, I know what eating alone means, I make his meal and then something for myself. Actually it was a treat when he was in Oregon for 3 weeks, I ate my normal apple and peanut butter breakfast and then made a late lunch that covered both lunch and dinner. I made things that lasted for days so I had very little cooking to do. As far as eating out, go ahead and spoil yourself, you deserve it!
    Old 11-19-2013, 06:38 AM

Oh my gosh, I'm coming right over! Seriously, I know how this is. Except there are three of us, and no one can agree...two of us like peppers, one doesn't. One likes huge amounts of garlic, two don't. And on it goes. Day after day figuring out what to have for the dinner meal is just a pain. Wish you lived closer, we could have you over. Then it would be three to one for peppers!! Maybe there should be a thread on easy to fix dinners.
    Old 11-19-2013, 07:02 AM

Keep those recipes coming! I might as well be cooking for one as DH has dementia and is absolutely no help with suggestions plus isn't really hungry. And as with dementia everything changes day to day, hour to hour. Every meal is a challenge but I probably wouldn't be eating properly by myself.
    Old 11-19-2013, 07:59 AM
    Power Poster

Oh can I come to your house? Excuse me, May I??? Pretty please. That sounds so good. Phyllis, I am the same here. Hubby doesn't even want to eat most times. We split a pork cutlet yesterday and I bet he ate three bites. he did finish it later in the day though. I fix him breakfast and I have coffee. it's getting to where I hate thinking of food. But tortillas, yum!!!
    Old 11-19-2013, 08:57 AM

I just saw this on a blog and thought about this thread. This sounds really good to me!http://www.skinnytaste.com/2013/11/l...ed-potato.html

Although the recipe calls for cooking the steak 'fresh' I have found in the past that I can make a steak like a London Broil which is far too much for me in one sitting but I can slice it thin and freeze it. Then I can take a few slices out and reheat them in a frying pan to make a steak sandwich. They should work really well with the baked potato idea.

My favorite way to do the steak sandwich is with carmelized onions that I make in big batches in the crockpot and freeze . The freezer is my friend.
    Old 11-19-2013, 12:33 PM

Fast, low fat, and yummy...one low fat tortilla, top with chopped leftover chicken, grated cheese, and green salsa, fold over, place on microwave safe plate, nuke for 2 minutes. Dinner.