Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • What is your city known for? >
  • What is your city known for?

• What is your city known for?

Old 06-15-2011, 01:55 AM

Altamont, NY has a big country fair in August. Nearest to city of Albany, NY home of bloated state goverment and BIG TAXES!!!!
    Old 06-15-2011, 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by azdesertrat
    Originally Posted by katzak
    Casa Grande, Az is the drug trafficking roadway from Mexico to Phoenix. Isn't that fun?

Our law enforcement officers find all whatever they leave, clothes, water bottles, dead bodies, backpacks of mariijuana, meth, you name it. They REALLY work very hard.

Not a pleasant thing to talk about, but it is a fact of life. Put up those electrified border fences !!! Keep immigrants out.

Sorry folks, but I'm very passionate about this living right in the middle.

kat
    amen to that
    COULDN'T AGREE MORE
    Old 06-15-2011, 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by Sheila_H
    Here its known for Parliment Hill which is our nations capital, also beaver tails (kind of like funnel cakes) and hockey with have an NHL team here the Ottawa Senators
    Love your city for beautiful canal, museums and tulips!
    Old 06-18-2011, 07:15 PM

i live in oxford ma, birthplace of clara barton, founder of the red cross... her childhoood home is a small cape style, which is open for tours & has a summer camp attached to it..

also, a few miles down rte 20 is brimfield ma, famous for its outdoor antique sales... they happen a couple times a year. if you want to go.. make hotel reservations EARLY, or you won't get any...

ironic that we've (not us personally, but the area) has needed so much help from the red cross for the last couple weeks, due to the tornados that went thru the area.
    Old 06-20-2011, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by hannajo
    Brooklyn is known for lots of things. But currently, it's most known for a certain politician who's under fire for inappropriately tweeting with young women and then lying about it even after he was caught. Part of his district is in Brooklyn.

On a positive note, we are home to Nathan's, who hosts the annual Fourth of July hot dog eating contest on Coney Island. I would never go when it's that crowded, but if you ever get the chance, Nathan's really does make fabulous hot dogs.

O, my goodness! I just typed this and did not realize the complete irony of writing these two things on the same post until I read it over, looking for typos. Seriously. :oops:
    LOL! That is funny :D :lol: :lol:
    Old 06-20-2011, 08:23 AM

Norfolk is home to the largest Navy town; right next to vacation town, Va Beach
    Old 06-28-2011, 04:23 PM

Oldest fish hatchery in the U.S., Caledonia, NY
    Old 06-28-2011, 04:35 PM

Only thing I can think of would be the Mission Inn. Most of the older servicemen are very familar with this beautiful place.
    Use to have a great speedway where many famous racers drove their cars, but alas it is no longer here.
    Lots of movies have been made in this town. Many wonderful sights and structures that attract the fim makers.
    We live close to Disneyland, Knott Berry Farm and 6 Flags Magic Mountian. Big Bear Mountians, the desert and of course, the beaches.
    A little bit of everything.
    Old 06-28-2011, 04:36 PM

My hometown is know for the Indy 500, where I live at now. Where the mountains kiss the sky is their slogan, what they are known for don't have the slightest idea. Well I googled my town and this is what is says

"Around the beginning of the twentieth century, Monterey was a resort town that boasted seven hotels and drew summer people who came to enjoy the cool temperatures and mountain scenery.

The Standing Stone was a 13-foot (4.0 m)-tall rock that once stood upright on a sandstone ledge in the area. It was the legendary boundary between Cherokee and Shawnee territory and marked the Cherokee Tallonteeskee Trail. The 8-foot (2.4 m) remnant of this stone is preserved in Monterey, where a Standing Stone Celebration of Native American Heritage is held each October."
    Old 06-28-2011, 04:38 PM

The Liberty Bell, and The Constitution, soft pretzels, and cheese steaks