Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • What is your favorite washing machine? >
  • What is your favorite washing machine?

• What is your favorite washing machine?

Old 04-27-2012, 04:15 AM

I have a top loading Maytag and I hate it. Very noisy, and gears sound like they are going any day now. Cold water just trickles in. Think my favorite were Kenmore's.
    Old 04-27-2012, 05:36 AM

I actually still have my Speed Queen top loader washer and my Maytag dryer. I was looking at the front loaders/"efficient" ones and the store told me that people are going back to the top loaders. My friend advised me to just use my old machines for now. Someone advised her to buy a good used one since the new "environmentally friendly" ones don't do the job they should. So, for now, I will dust off the old ones and hook 'em up!

Yes, we do have a water softener and the plumber told me about the "iron out" to add to it so we shall see. Thanks for the great input. Always nice to hear what others experience,etc.
    sandy
    Old 04-27-2012, 06:19 AM

I too hate front loading! Hard on my back!! Have whirlpool extra capacity for 20+ yrs!!!
    Old 04-27-2012, 06:38 AM

I love my front loader -- I am too short to get to the bottom of the top loaders easily. I got the front loader 13 years ago because we moved to a house with a septic and they top loaders use more water. The problem I have with the front loader is the smell and the seal gets moldy, but I clean it with bleach regularly and it is still hanging in there. Hope a get a few more years out of them since I don't have the $$ right now to replace them -- golly the new ones are expensive!
    Old 04-27-2012, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Sew N Tune
    I have a top loading Maytag and I hate it. Very noisy, and gears sound like they are going any day now. Cold water just trickles in. Think my favorite were Kenmore's.
    Yes they do make a lot of noise but mine is in the laundry room and I don't hear it at all. I have no problem with the water coming in, hot or cold. My favorite is the Kenmore also but 60 miles was the closest place to get one so I chose to get something a little closer which is still 30 miles.
    Old 04-27-2012, 08:43 AM

Just for a chuckle....the one that works! LOL!
    Claudia
    Old 04-27-2012, 01:40 PM

Ilove my top loading whirlpool washer, its awesome. Have to agree with the front loaders, have some at work that cost more than my top loader, brand spanking new and are already having problems, at my husbands work they are always a problem too, also new. Don't get a front loader whatever you do, if you need one use a laundromat
    Old 04-27-2012, 01:43 PM

Whirlpool/Kenmore (same maker) are the best and seem to last the longest IMHO
    Old 04-27-2012, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Sweeterthanwine
    I got a Maytag top loader a couple years ago and I love it. I'm still using my older Kenmore dryer, have had it about 20 years or so and it is still going strong. I've not really heard anything good about the newer front loaders and some of them take a special washing powder to use which is very expensive.
    I'm on my 3rd Maytag top loader... not because they wear but because my 2 kids took my other 2 when they bought houses. The 1st Maytag I had was from out in the barn at my MIL's farm. We cleaned it up & it washed MILLIONS of loads of clothes before my son made off with it. My Mother always had Maytags & she had the same kind of luck. I wouldn't have any other kind (kind of like me & my Sharp Carosel microwave). I'm loyal!!!
    Old 04-28-2012, 04:15 AM

I agree, I thought I wanted the best and the latest but wow....was I ever disappointed. Trying to find a buyer. I want to go back to the top loader.