What was your First Job?

Old 03-21-2011, 08:10 PM

When I was in high school I babysat for a couple every Sat. who had 7 kids- for nine hours; they paid me $1 and hour. They were good kids, though, hardly any work. That was the most money I had ever had at the time.

Then I started working in the fabric department at the Broadway Department store when I got out of high school and was going to college. I started at $1.68 an hr.

I thought I was rolling in dough when I got up over $2 and hour! Needless to say, some of my paycheck went for fabric every two weeks... we used to make "remnants" out of whatever fabric we wanted :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 03-21-2011, 08:14 PM

I worked for my Grampa when I was about 9 or 10 wiring houses. He paid my sister and I a quarter an hour. The first job I had after that was working in the milo fields roguing. The farmer grew seed and we took out everything that was too tall, too short, the wrong color and all the weeds. I was 13. You were supposed to be 14 to work in the fields but my Aunt lied for me. I did that for two summers. I think I made 1.60 an hour the first year and 1.65 the second year.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:32 PM

Worked at the Higbee Company putting clothes away that people had tried on, and also worked in the shop putting price tags on. Gosh, seems like almost 50 years ago....oh wait, it was almost 50 years ago!!! LOL
Old 03-21-2011, 08:45 PM

My first job other than babysitting was working a gold and jewelry store part time right after high school. I didn't work there long because one day a fellow who looked down on his luck came in to sell some coins. I can never forget that my boss gave him $10 for the coins and I swear the door hadn't closed completely when my boss laughed out loud and said something to the effect that one of the coins was worth over $100! I was so shocked and never went back to work there! My dad told me the guy might have drunk up the money or been on drugs and the owner knew it but I was so upset!

Then I went to work in the technical section of the public library and was totally in love with my work!
Old 03-21-2011, 08:56 PM
Power Poster

I never rogued but knew kids who did. I did detassel tho. That was a hot hard job. It was either too cold or too hot or too wet. Walking through wet corn stalks is no picnic. It gives you corn rash and the leaves cut like knives. But I did it for 3 yrs.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Rhonda
I never rogued but knew kids who did. I did detassel tho. That was a hot hard job. It was either too cold or too hot or too wet. Walking through wet corn stalks is no picnic. It gives you corn rash and the leaves cut like knives. But I did it for 3 yrs.
Since we had our own crew and worked for a farmer instead of a big company we were in the field as soon as the sun came up and we quit by 2 in the afternoon. Milo leaves cut and it really stings when you get in the tub after work! I never detasseled.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:46 PM

2 weeks before xmas on the xmas decorations in woolworths uk 1964 ---customers were 5 deep everything was a different price-- all i could see was a wall of hands clutching shiny bits!!!!!nursing is a lot easier!!!!
Old 03-21-2011, 10:00 PM

My first summer job was working in a Hallmark card factory. I thought it would be a lot more fun than it was. It certainly made me appreciate a chance to get an education. It was in a dusty wooden building with loud machinery, and a few of the experienced workers were less than friendly to the summer help because we tended to slow things down. They needed the bonuses that they could get for speedy production. I felt bad for them, but don't think they made things any better for themselves by making young people feel bad. I didn't see anyone who wasn't trying hard.

By the way, we were amazed while vacationing in Oregon a few years ago that they did not allow motorists to pump their own gas. Apparently it's against the law (or was at the time). Of course, they were not rushing around washing windows and checking tires and oil as they did when I was a kid, back when gas at the local Fina was 19 cents a gallon. (Does that ever make me feel old!)
Old 03-21-2011, 10:28 PM

My first job was working in the dining hall at a Summer youth camp at age 16. That's also where I met my DH, who was a cabin counsilor at the same camp. :)
Old 03-21-2011, 10:36 PM

My first job was working in a donut, icecream shop, I was 16 years old and I worked there about 2 weeks, went to get my check and the business closed the doors and never open again, I worked there for 2 weeks for nothing, I never gotten paid! You can say it left a bad taste in my mouth!!!
Its hard to believe that a business would do a 16 year old that way!