What is your opinion?

Old 12-15-2017, 08:02 PM

I love all the colors people put in their hair. If mine was down to my shoulders, I would be doing it in a heartbeat. However, I am a member of the short hair cut these days. It's because I am lazy. I have a little bit of natural curve, or some might call it wave in my hair. This causes my hair to tell me what it wants to do. And I'm either allergic to hair styling products or they don't stay in my hair. My hair has always been moderately thick and on the fine side. I know I am lucky, but sometimes, I just want a change.

Now as to all those different bed head cuts & styles. It takes time to make hair look that bad. And you can't comb or brush it. That's just not for me. Too many times I have come home from getting my hair trimmed and cut off a long piece to even up the cut. Too many years of trying to be balanced.
Old 12-15-2017, 08:25 PM

If the original poster was asking our opinion of the "new" hair style that is mid length, not quite to the shoulders, and sort of bent in some places, not curled, exactly, and hangs in hanks, like it needs a good brushing.....I don't like it one bit! For reference, if you watch soaps, it's the style Phyllis on Y & R has this week.

My favorite hair do for myself has been chin length, with some curl/wave in it. I have naturally straight fine limp hair, so this had to be achieved with perms, but I loved it. Now my hair has thinned, and greying hair seems to be more brittle, so the perms don't look as good. I just chopped it off short and straight. I don't like it, but I don't have much choice at this point.
Old 12-15-2017, 08:40 PM

With the current hair styles I just think "wait 5 minutes...something new will come along!" Personally I have had the Twiggy cut (anyone remember her?) The Kim Darby cut, and the shag cut. The long straight ironed look. The Spiraled perm, the super tight bubble perm. The swoopy curled look. Even the partially shaved look. (Lapse in judgment.) I've been blond, streaked, tipped, red headed, purple/red, dark brown,and currently "lightest golden brown". That's what the box says. For a long time I subscribed to the "it's only hair, it will grow back" theory. Not so much any more...it's getting too thin!
Old 12-15-2017, 10:03 PM

I wonder if it is a regional thing, an age thing, or a cultural thing to criticize other people's hairstyles?

Where I live there are more women over 60 with wild colours in their hair (purple seems to be the favourite), than young ones. At the university I attend I only see a few people with unnatural hair colour.

I have had short hair and I have had long hair. My hair styling routine either way is simple and low maintenance. Wash, towel off, apply gel, brush. No blow drying, no flat irons, curling irons, curlers etc. I do have it professionally coloured every 3 months. I have never had a perm.

My daughter has had many different hair colours, and varies her styling from shoulder length to almost to her bottom. Once every couple years, she has to leave it for a while as using heat and colour damages it over time.

I often hear derogatory remarks about man buns, why, I have no idea? What harm does a man bun cause? Most the young men at the Uni have short hair, but some have longer hair, different hairstyles, and even man buns. They are all interesting people to talk with.

The people I have spoken with who have dreadlocks wash their hair and bodies, there is no smell to them.

I was lucky to have a friend who is from Nigeria invite me to be with her while she had extensions/braids put into her hair. If I have not spent that afternoon with her, I still would have no idea of the process and the amount of time and energy that goes into it. Up to 6 different people worked on her hair over 5 hours. It was stunning when finished.

Piercings and tattoos are both very common where I live. I believe all my friends have ink. I know several people who have stretched their ear lobes. It does look a bit odd when they do not have the stretchers in place, but some of the earrings are pretty cool. Not something I would choose for myself, but it is not offensive to me.
Old 12-15-2017, 11:02 PM

I’m 56 have naturally curly hair, at the moment it’s a shoulder length bob, graduated at the back(back slightly shorter angled down to front) I normally blow dry and straighten. But sometimes I wear it up, and sometimes I let it dry naturally. I’m a natural lightest blonde(says so on the dye ��). Have been every colour under the sun over the years had every style too, my natural colour which has not been seen for about 25 years is a light auburn.
Old 12-15-2017, 11:30 PM

Unfortunately I was not gifted with "good hair". I have fine hair and when I was younger I had lots of it, now as I am older is has thinned some. I have my natural hair colour as I didn't have a good experience when I tried colour, perming doesn't agree with my hair so now I have it cut shorter but I still put rollers in so that I at least look like I tried when I go out. I do like clean, tidy hair, I don't care for the coloured streaks I see and I definitely dislike any disfigurement in the way of piecing and tattoos. I just can't believe the terrible things I see tattooed on people, I am sure most will live to regret the day they inked themselves. Maybe I am old fashioned, but I prefer it that way.
Old 12-16-2017, 05:09 AM

What a dull world this would be if we all looked alike! I don't want to look like all the other older ladies in the world, but I also don't want to perm or color my hair now that I'm retired on a fixed income. I'd rather spend my money on fabric, so I just get a good cut, mid-length every so often and leave it at that. But I do enjoy what others are brave or crazy enough to do with their hair. Variety is the spice of life.
Old 12-16-2017, 09:44 AM

Was reading the added posts to this thread and decided to see the variety of gauges. I used google images. I found this image.
http://i.imgur.com/phVINlJ.jpg
I am hoping that the image in the link above and some of the ones in the link below are fake gauges or fake images.
https://www.google.ca/search?q=ear+g...ih=637#imgrc=_

Last edited by anne2016; 12-16-2017 at 09:49 AM.
Old 12-16-2017, 09:46 AM

I was watching a famous tv Star making an appeal and all I could think about was how I wanted to brush her hair!!
Old 12-16-2017, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by anne2016
My hair is short and gray. As long as it's tidy, I don't dwell much on my hair.
I do notice the hairstyles and hair colors of the younger set.
I saw a young person in WM the other day. She had long light brown hair but had it streaked through with gray. ..more gray than brown showing. Looked lovely.
Sometimes I think I should color a section of my gray hair...maybe the bangs colored a bright purple....do it for the shock value when my adult kids visit!
Go on pinterest gray hair with purple streaks is actually very pretty