Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • What's The Most Money You Found in One Day? >
  • What's The Most Money You Found in One Day?

• What's The Most Money You Found in One Day?

Old 02-23-2010, 10:28 AM

The tales about the elderly especially hiding money in odd places reminds me of this one about my late father-in-law. He'd mentioned several times that after he died we shouldn't throw any containers away unless we checked inside.

I was cleaning out a closet in the bathroom of his house after he had died and found a shoe box filled with Mennen's stick deordorant containers. He was something of a hoarder, but empty deordorant containers??? I started to throw the whole thing in the trash bag, but I suddenly realized that box was very heavy for deodorant containers. Did you know that almost $20 worth of dimes will fit in an empty Mennen's deod. container?
    Old 02-23-2010, 11:08 AM

speaking of containers- I did a closing and the buyer came to closing with a Nestle's Quik container- the plastic yellow one. Inside- $57,000- in cash. We are not allowed to accept cash, they had to go to the bank and come back with a cashier's check. Scary! But at least I know if I need to stash 57K it will fit in one.
    Old 02-23-2010, 01:30 PM

When my DS was young he wanted to pick up everything in parking lots. One time he was leaning over to pick up something and said "look Mommy a dollar" It was 2 $20s. It sure did come in handy as we were going in to the drug store to get a prescription filled for him. Found money in last season pockets before.
    Old 02-23-2010, 01:40 PM

My husband was perusing a campground with his metal detector looking for coins. I was bored with his luck and wondered around by myself. I found 3 one-dollar bills laying on the ground. I did better than DH.
    Old 02-23-2010, 02:50 PM

Some family friends inherited a house from an elderly couple and my brother went to help them clean it out. They told him to search around carefully, as the deceased old man had been a hoarder. My brother is quite tall and when he looked at the beams near the basement ceiling, he spotted multiple coffee cans stuffed with thousands of dollars. The family friends were grateful at the time, but after discovering many things of value in that old house, they became paranoid and cut off all their friendships! They would have probably sold the house with those cans intact, but they never offered my brother anything for spotting them and bringing them intact to them. So money can make people do crazy things!
    Old 02-23-2010, 02:58 PM

After christmas I took my change jar to the bank . Well I really dumped it in a bag. I was shocked. There was $262.00 in change in that bag. Paid for part of my new serger. I nearly fell out when the lady told me how much was there. I consider that found money cause I put what I find all over the house & pockets on wash day & DH's change tray.
    Old 02-23-2010, 04:47 PM

I found $34 tucked into a pair of socks in my sock drawer several years ago! I had no memory of putting it there but I must have!!
    Old 02-23-2010, 05:49 PM
    Power Poster

When my 3 boys were toddlers I took them down to the local CVS store to pick up some medication as my younger one was sick with a fever and the doctor recommended some medication. The store clerk said it would be about 1/2 hour wait. Instead of waiting in the store we went outside. There was some kind of a parade going on( I cann't remember now what the celebration was). When I got home after watching the parade and picking up the medication I realized that my watch was gone and $90.00. I felt I must have been pick pocketed or just dropped them both so I went to the local police station and the young cadet behind the desk said something like "come on now if you found $90.00 wouldn't you keep it and not turn it into the police? I was mad and said no absolutely not. If it had been $10.00 probably but not $90.00 beause it is a lot of money and somebody probably needed it. I went to CVS and asked if anyone had turned it in and also looked on the sidewalks, in the gutters and everyplace else I thought it could have fallen but to no avail. Moving forward about 18 years I was at my husband's cousins apt (she was 91 years old and quite healthy, vibrant and high functioning) and she asked me to go to the local pharmacy and buy some money orders for her to pay her bills. On my way out of the store I noticed something on the floor near the checkout counter. As I got closer I noticed it was some money crumpled up. I picked it up and went out to my car. When I uncrumpled the money guess what? It was exactly $90.00. For one second I wanted to go back into the store and give it to the cashier but reasoned that I would have no way of knowing if he would have pocketed the money or set it aside to see if anyone came in looking for it. I decided to keep the money and for a long time I didn't tell anyone about it ( I felt a little guilty) until a couple of months ago I told my younger son and it came back to me what the cadet had said so many years ago when I lost my money. There had to be a reason why the money I found was exactly $90.00 so I figured it was karma maby the person who lost the $90.00 was the one who had found my $90.00. Ok that is probably not the reason but it certianly taught me how I recated diffrently when I was the one finding the money and not the one who lost the money.
    Old 02-23-2010, 05:52 PM
    Power Poster

How do I put in my location instead of it saying that I am in hiding. I live in West Roxbury Ma? I would also like to put in a picture but this is all new to me.

Thanks for your help.
    Old 02-23-2010, 06:38 PM

$1500 found on the ground at the Horse Race Track.

I turned in my name and phone number. I also did not tell them the exact amount, so the true owner would contact me.

I never heard anything. No, I did not bet with it....I used all of it to pay part of my daugther's college tuition.
    D in TX