Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • What's The Most Money You Found in One Day? >
  • What's The Most Money You Found in One Day?

• What's The Most Money You Found in One Day?

Old 02-23-2010, 09:49 PM
    Banned

One day very early morning, I was seventeen walking my son to my moms house so she could babysit while I went to work, my son had an ear infectoin, I did not have any money to get his medacation, I did not know what I was gone to do, It was snowing so I was having a dificult time pushing the stroler, I looked down to see if I could find the side walk and right there half of a twenty was sticking out of the snow, and we had like five inches on the ground. I always figuered it was a little gift from God, that day before I picked my son up I walked to the pharmcy and got his medacation.
    Old 02-24-2010, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by Boston1954
    Everyone sees pennies and quarters from time to time. We may even see a dollar laying on the ground. Many years ago, I thought I saw a dollar some feet away from me. When I walked closer to it I saw that it was a TWENTY......and it had two "sisters". $60.00!!! Oh, what I could do with that much now.
    I was outside the Guigenheim Museum when it first opened in NYC and looked down to see a $5 bill on the ground. I was sure I was on Candid Camera so I kind of put my foot on it, looked around and saw no vans with tinted windows so I picked it up. $5 went a LONG way back in 1960.

Again when we were in Rockland, ME during a lean time in our lives, when isn't it actually, we saw $15 on the ground and were able to actually buy lunch with that. That was a real treat back then.
    Old 02-24-2010, 07:47 AM

I found $350 all rolled up laying next to a curb several years ago, not sure if it was drug money or someone else just dropped it probably getting out of their car. We called the police to ask if there was anything we should do, since it was a lot of money, and most people don't carry that much rolled up like it was, they said to consider ourselves lucky and put the money to good use...that we did, spent some on fabric, filled up all our cars and gave some to the church.
    Old 02-24-2010, 10:19 AM

These posts should teach us to be very careful where we put our money. After a purchase I try to make sure I put my credit card and/or money securely in my purse or wallet and zipper them up. Of course, there have been times when I didn't but lucky for me I found the bills in my car. Only money I've found are pennies and a few quaters in parking lots. They go into a holder in my car as my Good Luck Coins, that is until I need some change, LOL!

Some people are very casual with money. Example: my son's wife and daughters. When the girls got older I used to give them cash gifts for their B-days so they could purchase clothes, etc. that they liked - thought it would make them feel grown up. They were always missplacing the bills so I resorted to checks. Only problem is that they never seem to cash them. My last remindered went out last week and if those checks haven't cleared my next checking account statment the money goes back into my checking account. If it didn't cost so much to stop payment on them I would. May in Jersey
    Old 02-24-2010, 10:55 AM
    Power Poster

Sometime after my Father had died, my Mom was going through his papers and found an envelope with $2600.00 in it. I think he must have saved it for years for her to find later.
    Old 02-24-2010, 04:25 PM

I love the stories in this thread!
    Old 02-24-2010, 06:56 PM
    Power Poster

I was working at a dry cleaners a long time ago and we found 4 $100 bills in the dry cleaning machine.

We waited for 30 days to see if someone had left it in their pocket. No one claimed it so my boss split it with me. Well, that paid for my divorce! So.... if you lost it, thank you! :lol:
    Old 02-24-2010, 07:22 PM

A few Christmases ago my husband and I found an envelope on the floor at the post office. The envelope had $120 in it in 10's. The envelope also said "For Kathy and Kids". January $10, Feb. $10... until Dec. $10. We went and asked at the post office if anyone reported losing an envelope and we didn't say it had money in it. The answer was "no". We felt terrible that some grandparent or parent had saved away this money month - month so we went home and made a poster then went to the post office and the neighborhood listing our phone no. for whoever might have lost an envelope at the post office. Some time went by with no response and we felt too guilty to keep this money and decided to donate it to the relief fund for the Tsunami which had just happened. The day we made out the check to the relief fund, my husband and I were talking on the way to the grocery store that if we had just found a $100 bill without a note, we'd have no trouble keeping it. I parked the car at the store and when my husband opened his door, he exclaimed, "You are NOT going to believe this!" At his feet was a crisp $100 bill. We went out for a fabulous dinner on it! And this has become one of our favorite Karma stories.
    Old 02-24-2010, 07:28 PM

Another money story I have is one where I was at the toll plaza waiting to pay my toll to cross the bridge. I only had a $20 for a $3 toll. As I waited I rolled my window down to be ready for the toll-taker when my $20 just flew out of my hand into the air and then kind of disappeared. I was pretty upset about this until I thought of that money flying out of my hands and into the hands of someone who really needed it at the time. Then I felt good being part of the Universe!
    Old 02-25-2010, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Honey
    When my sister and I were cleaning out my mom's house after she passed, we found her "stash". It was hidden in her closet under her shoes, in a bank bag, in a container!! It was $2000!! We promptly turned it over to our brothers as they had paid for her funeral. They never said kiss my butt or have an apple, just accepted it!! But a few months later accused us of stealing "stuff"! Oh well, that's a sordid story for another day!!
    When my mother passed in her late 80's I was getting things ready that she had wanted a niece to have and found out what a sense of humor she had. There was an antique chair that the seat lifted on and it had a porcelain chamber pot in it so I lifted the lid on it and there were all these envelopes where she had cashed her S.S. and put the money and the envelopes in there.
    My cousin and I counted it and there was about $11,000 in it.
    So I went back to the closet and got an enamel pot that we had at our old house before indoor plumbing, yep same thing!
    Thought I might try the same thing to surprise my daughter someday down the road. Well the $40 I put in didn't stay in long. I really wish my mom would have bought things for herself and used her money but having been thru the depression I guess she thought that was foolish. I lived with her the last 17 years of her life and bought all the groceries, made her clothes and did her hair so I guess that may have helped her save.